Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 12:44 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,624,965 times

Advertisements

I got off the phone about a half an hour ago with a company in Detroit. I'll hear back in 2-4 business days; I'm nervous, but how do you think I did?

She called me about the position I applied for in May and then asked if I saw any others that interested me, so I told her the technical writer position, She asked why I wanted to make a transition to this industry and I said, "Well, even though I haven't worked in this industry, I keep up with the matters daily. I would like experience in it and it would be something new and a new angle. As I have said, my mom has been using your products for 20 years and we have always had a good experience with the company. I'd like to be part of that." I talked a lot about my job at the college and the library. I told her I'm comfortable with downtown Detroit and I'd be taking the bus; the commute wasn't bad and DDOT was efficient. Also, she asked if I moved yet and I told her, "No, after some research, I want to be situated with a job." Is that bad that I said that? I did mention that I was there in May. I said, "Yes, I've been to the downtown area and it's wonderful. I visited in May while I was looking at apartments and to learn my way around." She asked why I've wanted to move and I replied, "It's been my dream to move to the Midwest for several years. I have always loved the Midwest from the people and laid back lifestyle. Michigan is a wonderful state and I really like it there." Also, she asked how much I wanted to make and I said, "Around $34,000... but it's negotiable." I probably should have said "negotiable" only. I'm just really nervous... but she said I will be considered for all positions within the company and I will be contacted about the next step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 01:47 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
I wouldn't have mentioned public transportation at all.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Oh. I have before in my jobs in PA. I hope this won't be held against me. I'm really nervous.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:54 PM

469 posts, read 637,650 times
Quote:
What was wrong for mentioning that?

Old 07-09-2014, 02:14 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
What was wrong for mentioning that?
Because some employers will view that as not having reliable transportation.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Because some employers will view that as not having reliable transportation.
Geese, all these judgments from hiring managers these days.. but you are right

Old 07-09-2014, 03:04 PM

Ah, yeah, he is. I did say, though, "DDOT is reliable and I had no trouble getting around." I guess we'll see. Also, I put down I volunteered at a library in middle school from 2002-2003, then went into my current library job (2006 until now) and my other job from 2011-2014. She asked why I had a gap between 2003 and 2006. I explained that I was too young to work an actual job, but in high school I joined the history and writing clubs, then was employed at that job from junior year of high school until now. Then the 2nd job in college. I hope that's not a bad sign either. :shock:

Here's the resume I sent back in May:

Relocating to Roseville, Michigan 6/2014
EDUCATION
West Chester University of Pennsylvania West Chester, Pennsylvania 8/2008- 12/2013
Bachelor of Arts: English Writing Minor: Philosophy GPA: 3.1

WRITING EXPERIENCE
West Chester University: The Quad West Chester, Pennsylvania 1/2011-10/2013
Reported fare changes for SEPTA (Southeastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority). Wrote about music events in the West Chester and King of Prussia, Pennsylvania areas. Featured writer on travel pieces (Wisconsin and Maryland) and the yearly polar plunge held by the Brandywine Valley Association.

Software Application Training, Intern West Chester, Pennsylvania 5/2011-12/2013
Planned and compiled documentation on Microsoft Word, Mail Merge, Outlook, PowerPoint and Access. Performed administrative tasks and ordered documentation. Compiled the monthly agenda and registered students into the HEAT database for classes. Taught and provided one-on-one training on Microsoft products for faculty and staff members of West Chester University.

LIBRARY EXPERIENCE
Upper Merion Middle School Gold Library, Volunteer King of Prussia, Pennsylvania 9/2002-6/2003
Organized the back room: purging old magazines, cassettes and books. Helped students find books and checked out books to the students. Shelved and shelf-read books and movies.

Upper Merion Township Library, Page King of Prussia, Pennsylvania 8/2006-Present
Help patrons locate non-fiction and fiction books, CDs, book CDs and DVDs. Empty inter-library loan bags that are delivered to the library. Check in books returning to the library. Shelf and shelf-read books, DVDs, and CDs. Help patrons with computer usage, instructing patrons how to use the internet, Microsoft Word and the library printer.

SKILLS
Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Publisher (2000, 2003, 2010, 2013), Google Plus, Google Drive, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, CreateSpace, Blogger, and LiveJournal. Communication (both speaking and writing) in elementary level Arabic and working proficiency of German. Database research skills and editing skills in AP and MLA styles. Library online card catalog searching skills.

PUBLICATIONS AND PORTFOLIOS
• Currently writing Lambeau Leaping Through Wisconsin; part memoir and part travel guide.
• Writer for Musing of a Creative Writer, my blog that showcases writing, music and photography.
• Preferred author on Writing.com since 2006. Jessica Marie’s Portfolio and website.
• Various photographs were featured on the West Chester University homepage. Photography Portfolio.

REFERENCES
Available upon request.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:09 PM

I have never seen the following entered on a resume in the skills section: Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, CreateSpace, Library online card catalog searching skills.

ETA: Your resume said you were re-locating in June so the interviewer may have felt mis-lead that you have not re-located and it is July.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
I have never seen the following entered on a resume in the skills section: Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, CreateSpace, Library online card catalog searching skills.

ETA: Your resume said you were re-locating in June so the interviewer may have felt mis-lead that you have not re-located and it is July.
Well, all the other jobs I applied for were social media related or library jobs. I guess my experience lies there.

Mayhaps. But, the only apartment that would take me without a job fell through and I'm waiting on a house through a writing program. However, I just don't want to relocate without a job. I thought I could, but after taking the trip... a lot of places wouldn't take me without one (except that house... which if I get, I'll hear in August) and want me to have a job already lined up. I did explain, "I didn't make the move yet because I wanted a job lined up." Who knows how that is going over.

Though on the form I had to fill out before I sent the resume, I gave my PA address.

Last edited by jessxwrites89; 07-09-2014 at 05:39 PM..

Old 07-09-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Well, all the other jobs I applied for were social media related or library jobs. I guess my experience lies there.

Mayhaps. But, the only apartment that would take me without a job fell through and I'm waiting on a house through a writing program. However, I just don't want to relocate without a job. I thought I could, but after taking the trip... a lot of places wouldn't take me without one (except that house... which if I get, I'll hear in August) and want me to have a job already lined up. I did explain, "I didn't make the move yet because I wanted a job lined up." Who knows how that is going over.

Maybe you can put something like:advanced proficiency in social media applications- or something to that effect. I completely understand why you have not re-located and I agree. You said the the interview seemed hesitant when she realized that you had not relocated so I am just throwing out possible scenario's. I do think that you need to tighten up the skills section and find a better description such -advanced proficiency on all social media applications-because it may be taken as you on these sites for fun and not professionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search