Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 05:34 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times

Advertisements

Are you retired now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 05:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,430 times
I feel for you. It's SO hard looking for another job when you've been in one as long as you have. I am in the same predicament. For 31 years I have been in medical transcription and finally worked my way out of the dregs of the typing "pool" and into QA and management only to find out my line of work will be obsolete in the next 6 months because of the mandates on electronic medical records. Not sure WHAT I'm going to do. This is all I know.

I think a job is kind of like a marriage. If you meet a person on a "date" and you don't feel comfy you simply don't prolong the date, you gracefully excuse yourself. I think I would have had to be perfectly honest with that gentleman and would have told him I did not feel that I would be the right candidate for his company. Wish him luck in his search and get the heck out of Dodge. No use in lingering on for a 2-hour stint if you know from the get-go it's not going to happen. Trust your own judgment because 99% of the time your feelings about a situation are the correct ones for you. I wish you the best in your job search. Hopefully you will find your niche in a nice company who can and will respect you for who you are and what you have to offer them.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:33 AM

670 posts, read 1,043,725 times
As long as this is something that only happens once in a thousand interviews and not on a regular basis, consider yourself lucky that you discovered it before accepting the job. I'm just guessing, but he probably turns off a lot of people like that.

I had a job interview once where the same thing happened. Within one minute after the interview started, I knew I could not work with this man. He was like a total control freak on Energizer batteries. By the end of the interview, the man was offering me the job...after telling me that he still had other people to interview. I was so turned off by him that I told him to go ahead and finish his other interviews, and I would think about it. Then, I went home and wrote him a "Thank you note," but told him that I did not think it was exactly what I was looking for.

By the time you get some experience under your belt (like you do), your gut instincts are usually accurate.

Best of luck on your job search!

Old 04-24-2014, 09:13 AM

48 posts, read 76,916 times
finding people you enjoy working with is just as important as finding work you like. I worked for a man that showed me who he was in the interview and I ignored my instincts, thinking he must have been joking. He wasn't...he was a moron and it never got better. I'd never work again for a boss I didn't like. You don't like them? They don't like you? That spells lousy raises, critical reviews.....not good. (and if you are more intelligent than your boss, hide it, because they will hate you for being a threat)

Old 04-24-2014, 09:47 AM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am unemployed View Post
I had an interview for a job yesterday and left in tears!

It was for an Executive Assistant position for a high level senior manager at a very highly respected company. (I was an Office Manager for twenty years until last week, so have similar experience to the needs of an executive assistant.)

From the moment my potential future boss and I looked each other in the eyes- there was conflict. Do you ever meet people and determine immediately you don't want to spend another minute with them? An instant dislike, terrible personal and professional chemistry, and a feeling of unease and discomfort. Well that is this guy times 1000! I don't think I had ever met anyone who turned me off so much so quickly.

The man kept asking me questions and I just wanted to get out of there. The interview got worse and worse and I felt so uncomfortable. Finally he took me out of my misery after talking for almost two hours.

What should I do in this situation if it happens again? Should I have just made some excuses and left when I started to feel uncomfortable, or stick it out till the end?

(I have not interviewed for a job for twenty years. I am out of practice!)
If it happens again, I say, "BOLT!" And I wouldn't even bother to be nice about it. On a personal note, you just won't believe how good it will make you feel when you do it.

I once worked for a man I instinctively did not like, and I regretted taking that job until the day I left. There was just something wrong with the guy.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:04 AM

398 posts, read 746,119 times
Sounds like an interview I went through last year.
I interviewed for a role that will be supporting a team, specifically these two women and they were the interviewers.
You know those women/girls at a job who are just bitchy? The ones that would look down at you, eye roll you, and scoff at you because you are "less experienced" and you are "under them". The kind that will give you attitude if you ask questions about a particular process or procedure. Yeeeapp.
Not sure if it was because I was Asian and they were racist- or that's just how they are. Needless to say, I could tell the second I sat down with them that they didn't liked me.
I didn't care, I went along with the interview with little effort to impress. At the end, I just said thanks and walked out haha.
Who the **** cares, I knew I was "better than that" and more capable to work a supporting role anyways. With some time and patience, I found the perfect role for me, where I am constantly challenged

Old 04-24-2014, 11:02 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am unemployed View Post
I think this is right on!

One of the reasons I stayed at my last employer for so long is I really liked 95% of my various bosses and coworkers through the years and the corporate culture. That until a new boss came in a year ago and decided he would make life so miserable for me that I would quit. He had nothing on me to write me up for incompetence so he just nitpicked me to death and made every little error real or imagined the worst thing in the world. Then when that did not rattle me he turned really angry and went from silence and lack of acknowledgement when I spoke to screaming and yelling. Eventually be reorganized the office and I was laid off.

He scared me to death and now I am afraid to pick the wrong boss and company, but I don't want to be unemployed either.
It is right on! In fact, I would amplify it by saying that the quality of the people you work for and with is far more important than the work itself.

When I am in a job interview, I am interviewing the employer and my gut tells me everything I need to know within 2 minutes about whether I want to work for this person in this environment.

Good situations that you will survive and succeed in are much harder to find than when I started out in the work force 46 years ago. Way too many idiots out there and I wouldn't waste 20 minutes on any of them.

But hang in there and keep trying and you'll find a spot right for you. It might take a career change to a different type of work in a different kind of setting. Best of luck.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:09 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
you stick out the interview because you never know if that person will talk to someone who you do want to work for.

but you turn down the offer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search