Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 04:39 PM

420 posts, read 768,392 times

Advertisements

IT Company with a casual dresscode.

Disregard people who are saying that you are dressing too casually. In this industry, over dressing can actually lose you a job. Software engineers and IT guys who are used to wearing shorts and t-shirts don't typically need you to come dressed like you're going to a funeral. I would go without that blazer and find a decent shirt to wear. The first zippered thing looks alright.!

-These statements have not been verified by the FDA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 04:44 PM

26 posts, read 29,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaekn View Post

Disregard people who are saying that you are dressing too casually. In this industry, over dressing can actually lose you a job. Software engineers and IT guys who are used to wearing shorts and t-shirts don't typically need you to come dressed like you're going to a funeral. I would go without that blazer and find a decent shirt to wear. The first zippered thing looks alright.!

Yes, i just want to find a good balance. The company is the third biggest IT-company in scandinavia but my friend works there and he says that people are wearing t-shirts with jeans at work and I should not come overdressed.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:50 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiroB View Post
Yes, i just want to find a good balance. The company is the third biggest IT-company in scandinavia but my friend works there and he says that people are wearing t-shirts with jeans at work and I should not come overdressed.
Listen to your friend. The last outfit, provided the sweater is not backwards, will work just fine. BTW, I have degrees way beyond a BA and I rarely wear a shirt. I'm also very professional.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:54 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
No. Depending on what the position you apply for is the top should be a shirt. You should be wearing a shirt and business suit if it is a position that requires a college degree.
Read the thread. She said it's an IT company. A suit is overdressing... Which in that industry is bad.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:00 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaekn View Post

Casual doesn't mean tshirts and flipflops. It usually means polo shirt for men, jeans or khakis, etc

Old 06-12-2014, 05:13 PM

291 posts, read 505,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiroB View Post
Do we have a winner?
I like it a lot more than the original two! The necklace is a nice touch too. Pull the front as much as you can so that the neckline is a bit looser. Make sure the tag isnt visible!

Old 06-12-2014, 06:10 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
This is not the right outfit for a job interview, jacket is too fussy. Clothes with zipper details are too punkish and suggestive.

Keep in mind you may be interviewing in a room full of conservative people dressed in khakis and long sleeve blue oxford shirts.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:18 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
No.

Wear suit or a jacket with a collared shirt underneath or a suiting shell. These are too casual and inappropriate for an interview.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:33 PM

551 posts, read 582,903 times
It's an improvement. But how comfortable will you be in a backwards shirt? Will the tag be scratching at your neck, will the fabric gather funny across your chest, etc. I'd hate for your discomfort to affect your interview performance. If it's comfortable that makes a big difference.

Oh and good luck!

Old 06-12-2014, 08:06 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
I work for a very large tech company, and I actually think the first outfit might be ok, depending on the fabric of the zipper shirt. I saw a few posters described it as a zippered sweatshirt, but it looked more like a poly-jersey?

Have you shown these pics to your friend who already works there? He could probably tell you fetter than we can if any of the options are appropriate.

I am not a fan of #2. It looks frumpy, which in this industry can be associated with being out of date and not up to speed on the latest and greatest technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search