Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 07:43 AM

589 posts, read 696,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I disagree. Personally, when I was job hunting, I ALWAYS had three references. I also put "References available upon request" at the bottom of my resume.

You sound very immature with that statement. No one said a person SHOULD DO WHATEVER blah, blah, blah, but if a prospective employer wants references, how difficult is that?

I only put in for the jobs I want and am qualified for and I usually get them. Therefore I have never perceived it as a numbers game.

What kind of work are you putting in for that has thousands of opportunities? Fast food jobs?

It sounds like your mind is made up, and you are obviously not in need of any feedback. But you are the one still seeking, so maybe your strategy is not working. Or maybe your strategy reflects who you are as a person and you just want a job that only requires a short application form.

Either way, good luck with those short forms.
redbird, I've already stated why I won't give references in previous posts. I've also stated that my strategy obviously is working in those posts. Read them.

And there isn't a specific type of job that only requires a short form before you communicate with an interviewer. It's up to the individual interviewer. But I appreciate the suggestion that I'm only suited for fast food service because I don't want to give out my checking account, credit history, social security number, and compromise my references' phone numbers all before I get a solid contact for a job. It's a waste of time, and I don't want that info floating around when I don't even have a face to hold accountable.

Oh well, I guess I better get back to work. Order up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
A lot of HR doofs are loading their hiring process with pointless busywork under the theory that it cuts down the number of applicants and selects for more serious applicants.

Unfortunately they are more likely selecting for people that are more desperate and the more desirable candidates that have other options or even have companies persuing them are going to bail. HR logic at its finest.
I completely agree with this.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:04 AM

331 posts, read 547,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
No one said a person SHOULD DO WHATEVER blah, blah, blah, but if a prospective employer wants references, how difficult is that?
It can be pretty difficult. Not every job is constructed in a reference-building way. For instance, my current job is one in which I work by myself and have never even seen my manager or anyone on my team in real life (As a matter of fact, I think that the vendor-client contract terms would forbid my manager from acting as a reference). You need to have a solid personal relationship with someone to be able to use them as a reference. Just because someone doesn't have 3 former superiors who would agree to act as references, doesn't mean that person is a poor worker.

It's a good thing that most jobs I'm interested in don't require 3 references, because it's a stupid convention that rewards people who cozy up to their superiors.

Last edited by const_iterator; 06-18-2014 at 08:21 AM..

Old 06-18-2014, 08:24 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
It all depends upon whether you want the job or not.

All the information, your references, every job you've ever worked, every address you've ever lived at, every school you ever went to and what year that was, all that should be gathered together in a permanent file that you keep forever. All you have to do is pull out your personal file and there should be all the information you need to fill out an application. You should not have to gather that information every time you apply for a new job.

I notice a lot of younger workers who think their free time is much too valuable to be wasting on anything that is not whatever it is that they are doing in their valuable free time. Employers don't really want those workers, so if your (generic you) free time is too valuable to waste it filling out an application, the employer has just easily weeded out a worker they don't want.

Federal law requires employers to run applicant's social security number through a verification process, so no one is going to accept your application if you refuse to give your SS number.

I just realized that this is too long to be read by anyone whose free time is too valuable to be wasted reading employment advice.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Federal law requires employers to run applicant's social security number through a verification process, so no one is going to accept your application if you refuse to give your SS number.
You haven't been job searching recently then. Most online job applications don't require your social security number before they even contact you and show interest.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:04 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,540,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
This is required for employment, not for consideration for employment. A SSN is necessary to accept an offer.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:06 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
I have filled out online forms that do require an SS# and references ahead of time. In fact, someone on my team is looking for a job and made mention of this the other day, saying it makes her nervous that this information is out there. Most do not ask for this, but some do.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:09 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
Whether I choose to give references and SS # on an app is a judgement call based on how reputable I think the company is. If it is an established company probably, staffing agency heck no... no references up front they will burn them.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:45 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,485,953 times
As mentioned when you make the process so ridiculously long you miss good candidates that are working and don't have time for 6 rounds of dog and pony. Unemployed people have the option to do that, most employed don't. Just look at some of these threads where people are burning their PTO days up to keep applying for another company and another 3-6 rounds of circus.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:51 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
Yes, and I got this job from a short application. I was only asked interview questions when I was actually being interviewed.

Yeah, no. By giving me interview questions, wanting 5 references, and asking for the time and date of my first kiss all before you even look at my resume to see if I'm a "good fit" is wasting my time, too. Leave the interview questions for the interview, thanks.
I've had job applications ask for SS number and 15 years of detailed work history along with detailed salary history, addresses, name of supervisor, etc. along with 3 references.

For a professional level job, I'm not, nor do I remember what I was making 15 years ago while in HS or college, and some of the places are no longer in business, forget bosses names (and no longer there)

See: https://innovat-careers.com/employment/form/50
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search