Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 12:14 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I'm actually in agreement about the long applications. If it's a job that I'm REALLY interested in, I'll do it.
so... why are you wasting time applying for jobs you don't want? I don't care if you really want it, or just want it. You don't get a better shot at it for wanting more. So why apply if you don't at least plan to work there if they offered a job?

I don't know why people are so upset over a few pages for applications anyways, it takes 20 minutes instead of 10 to fill out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 01:59 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,807,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
so... why are you wasting time applying for jobs you don't want? I don't care if you really want it, or just want it. You don't get a better shot at it for wanting more. So why apply if you don't at least plan to work there if they offered a job?

I don't know why people are so upset over a few pages for applications anyways, it takes 20 minutes instead of 10 to fill out.
When did I say that I apply for jobs that I don't want or that I wouldn't accept? I said I am more likely to spend time applying for one that looks to be something that's a cut above the others.

I don't know why you're so upset that some of us don't want to spend time filling out long applications.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:01 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
When did I say that I apply for jobs that I don't want or that I wouldn't accept? I said I am more likely to spend time applying for one that looks to be something that's a cut above the others.

I don't know why you're so upset that some of us don't want to spend time filling out long applications.

I have not encountered many online applications that take only 20 minutes to complete. Many of them go on for far longer than that. With assessments and tests attached and some don't even alert you that there will be an assessment after you spend time filling out the application.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:28 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
and I've never had one give an assessment/test for an online application beyond "are you who you were claim to be" when you check the box to "send"

even the KSA I didn't turn in until the interview

Old 05-22-2015, 04:22 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
and I've never had one give an assessment/test for an online application beyond "are you who you were claim to be" when you check the box to "send"

even the KSA I didn't turn in until the interview

Well some people have and some haven't.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:43 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post

It's better to focus on job sites that allows you to email your resume rather than spend a hour completing an online application. Those types of sites are listed below which will give you the option of emailing your resume and cover letter.

Idealist.org
Craigslist.org
Careerbuilder.com
Indeed.com
Local Sunday Newspaper
Monster.com has a few
Your local state career center website

Old 05-25-2015, 10:28 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
A lot of job applications now ask interview questions and ask for references before you even talk to the employer. Do you tend to skip these types of job applications?

If I see too many questions I abandon ship. Why spend an hour filling out one application that may be passed over when I could use that time to apply to 10 other jobs?
The only way I would skip an application would be if I found out I wasn't qualified.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:04 PM

231 posts, read 785,283 times
@ OP,

I'll skip such applications if it's a position or a company I'm not thrilled about, if it's "just another job" that I think I am qualified for but wouldn't be sad about not getting.

But if it is a position I think I would love in a location or with a company I admire/would love to live in, I'll take as long as it takes, and then longer. I recently applied to a job I know I would love in a place I would love to live that asked up front for three professional references, a crapload of work samples AND a letter of recommendation from a previous employer. Took 1,000 years (or so it felt) and I took hours and hours making sure my resume and cover letter were as perfect as I could get them.

Will I get the job? Who knows. But at least I know I made the best effort I could.

Honestly though, if I came across a job ad that I only felt "meh" about and was only willing to spend 30 seconds on, I probably wouldn't even apply...after all if I feel meh about the application, what's to say I wouldn't feel the same way at the job? And that's no way to live I think (unless it's a temp job that you aren't planning on being at longer than a year or so).

Old 02-07-2016, 07:32 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,251 times
If I know they do, I am loathe to do it again. For instance, I tried a Pet Smart one that had a ton of questions plus a personality test. Asked a lot for a minimum wage or close enough job. Thus I avoided them again for a long time.

Also, if I run into too much crap (like I have had times where I spent a lot time with it rejecting to continue on and finally found that it didn't recognize my city spelled RIGHT and would only proceed when I MIS-spelled it. After enough crap like that, I just give up or look elsewhere unless it's something that I'd really like and seems ideal for me.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search