Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2014, 08:50 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,952,353 times

Advertisements

It looks like I'll be re-entering the workforce in the next month or so. I was a caretaker for my father until he passed, and currently have an online store which unfortunately is not generating enough income.

Since I've been out of the job hunting experience for a while, I am wondering if letters of reference are still appropriate to attach to a resume. I have several, going back to 10 years and the most recent 4 years ago. From perusing ads on Craigslist, it looks like the job market and hiring process has changed drastically from what I am used to. What are your thoughts on reference letters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 09:02 AM

282 posts, read 444,574 times
At least in private sector employment, letters of reference are at best a curiosity. They would receive no weight or attention. If you get past the interview process, you'll be asked for references, but even then that means names and contact info, not letters. Anyone can fake a letter.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:15 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,601,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying harder View Post
At least in private sector employment, letters of reference are at best a curiosity. They would receive no weight or attention. If you get past the interview process, you'll be asked for references, but even then that means names and contact info, not letters. Anyone can fake a letter.
Yes.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:55 AM

That's disturbing, since I have glowing (written) references and many of the companies are now defunct or merged with other companies. I was kind of afraid of this when I took off some years to care for my father but I didn't anticipate things changing to such an extent. When companies are requesting references, are they looking for something other than confirmation of employment dates and duties involved?

Old 09-07-2014, 11:19 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Do the letters of recommendation that go back four years have dates on them? If they do, I would go back to the people who wrote them and ask if they would be kind enough to rewrite them using a current date and ask if you can use them as a reference in the event a company you apply to wants to speak to a person.

Beyond that, you can say you went into business for yourself and are looking for a career change or are looking for an opportunity where you can do the same kind of work for a larger company. If they ask how that went, just say it went very well, but you feel too isolated to continue doing it.

If you had the store for all the years you were caring for your father, I wouldn't even mention him as being part of the equation.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:36 AM

Good advice....thank you.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:38 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,903,186 times
Written letters of reference, especially up to 10 years ago, are going to make you look dated and out of touch. Wait for a job offer, contact your references to ask if they would still be a reference (and to confirm their contact info), then provide the hiring company with the name and contact info of your references.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:39 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,625,693 times
I'm applying at universities and most of the unis I'm applying to, letters of reference are a MUST. I think it depends on the sector and field.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:33 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,870,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I'm applying at universities and most of the unis I'm applying to, letters of reference are a MUST. I think it depends on the sector and field.
For academia positions that might be the practice, but probably the vast majority of positions out there actual physical letters of references are not used anymore. Maybe for law clerks, nannies or butlers?

Most jobs, you simply give the names and phone numbers of people that can vouch for you and the employer will contact them if they want to.

What is actually more important is if someone you know who would have written these letters, actually calls or writes people on your behalf to people they know letting them know you are in the market and are talented. I'd just contact an old boss, ask them if it is OK to use them as a reference and them to contact you if they hear of any opportunities. Often they take the next step and advocate on your behalf without you specifically requesting them to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search