Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2014, 04:28 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,424,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
That makes no sense. If you are doing unpaid work, it's volunteer work. You don't report that. You only report work that you get paid for.

Otherwise, I'd get in trouble for the landscaping help I gave my dad.
Are you talking about a non-profit now? I don't think you can volunteer to be a cashier for say, McDonalds. But you can volunteer in a soup kitchen that feeds the needy free of charge.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:44 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
You can determine a "good fit" w/o making someone work a whole day for free. Other successful companies can do it, otherwise EVERY place would be trying this. It amazes me people trying to defend this type of stuff, but then again, it;s Corporate America, so it doesn't
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Well did the person make the other person work 8 hours for free? This scenario proves that you can find the "good fit" w/o making them work a full day for nada. The above scenario also is just a tad different than the OP!! Good God I weep for the American worker!!
That people think testing out job duties, to quote the OP, is productive work is concerning. I don't know if weeping is called for.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:07 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
That people think testing out job duties, to quote the OP, is productive work is concerning. I don't know if weeping is called for.

That's a start.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post

That's a start.
I think the assertion that having an untrained, first day worker is this co's full time/perm strategy is pretty bizarre. I think a company would have to be nuts to trust the work coming from people that have not yet been assessed in the way of ability/skill, with no references checked, or any kind of measurable put in place (say other seasoned employees checking their work). Yet, a number of people come to the conclusion that this is indeed the case. I cannot wrap my head around it no matter how much I consider it.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:57 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
I'd do it. I'd also type up the papers for suing him and have it with me. If I didn't get the job at the end of the shift I'd serve him with notice.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:46 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
It truly is quite amazing that, as explained earlier, I have done the same thing as both an employer and an employee (would that it had been more often in some cases where the latter is concerned) for several decades is many different arenas and enjoyed nothing but success with the practice. And not once have I ever been accused as an exploitive employer or, "a low life employer trying to circumvent the tax and labor laws (who) should be prosecuted" other than on this one thread where the lunatics have taken over the asylum and hysteria runs amok. Amazing but also becoming quite hilarious.
You live in the Virgin Islands, maybe this practice is acceptable and more well known there than in the USA.

Also, you worked in the restaurant business. Again, maybe this is an acceptable and well known practice in this sector. The OP is trying to get an OFFICE job, not get hired on as a waitress in a restaurant.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:53 AM

469 posts, read 637,532 times
Quote:
It truly is quite amazing that, as explained earlier, I have done the same thing as both an employer and an employee (would that it had been more often in some cases where the latter is concerned) for several decades is many different arenas and enjoyed nothing but success with the practice. And not once have I ever been accused as an exploitive employer or, "a low life employer trying to circumvent the tax and labor laws (who) should be prosecuted" other than on this one thread where the lunatics have taken over the asylum and hysteria runs amok. Amazing but also becoming quite hilarious.
It has just never been said to your face but know you know what they really thought. Stop trying to cheat the system and circumvent the law. One day you are going to try the wrong one and get yourself reported.

Just pay the employees and stop being so cheap. How is someone going to be deemed more of a fit if they work for free? I bet you have bank accounts with tax shelters in the Cayman Islands to.

Scandalous!!!

Old 07-20-2014, 10:57 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I think the assertion that having an untrained, first day worker is this co's full time/perm strategy is pretty bizarre. I think a company would have to be nuts to trust the work coming from people that have not yet been assessed in the way of ability/skill, with no references checked, or any kind of measurable put in place (say other seasoned employees checking their work). Yet, a number of people come to the conclusion that this is indeed the case. I cannot wrap my head around it no matter how much I consider it.
Because the goal is not to get a free day from an untrained worker.

The goal is to get someone to invest large amounts of time into an "interview" process, and then lowball their wage. Or in some even more insidious cases, use this sort of process to find workers willing to break wage laws and then continue to get those workers to work unpaid overtime, off the clock days, constantly change their exempt status, etc. Ever seen those cases were workers work weeks without getting a paycheck? It starts with "interview" processes like this.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:01 AM

211 posts, read 266,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by work324 View Post
If you told me to work a full day for free, I would terminate any potential consideration immediately.

I'm sorry, but 8 hours is not that much money. If you're that selfish and cheap that you monetize every single waking minute, any possible value you have as an employer would be lost due to your toxic attitude.
There, I fixed your post. Sad to see so many responses showing how gullible Americans are. It's like Stockholm syndrome or slaves voting for their masters with some of you people.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Because the goal is not to get a free day from an untrained worker.

The goal is to get someone to invest large amounts of time into an "interview" process, and then lowball their wage.
At least this is a different angle. It might seem like a great amount of time if you're used to one hour interviews, but long interview processes are standard in some industries, so not too surprising. I'm in big pharma. There are many rounds of interviews and it goes on for some time. Presentations, meeting with up to a dozen people, touring labs, etc. It gets really involved and it is an investment.

Quote:
Or in some even more insidious cases, use this sort of process to find workers willing to break wage laws and then continue to get those workers to work unpaid overtime, off the clock days, constantly change their exempt status, etc. Ever seen those cases were workers work weeks without getting a paycheck? It starts with "interview" processes like this.
I'm not sure what this means. Overtime is standard in my industry as well. Even when I wasn't salaried I worked overtime for free. But, the pay and benefits far exceed the average American wage 10-fold. So, I'm not sure if a laborious, PITA interview process leads to this.

I'm of the mind that a first day worker is a huge PITA on their own. They suck up resources and man power. They cost the company money and colleagues time. I'm inclined to think this guy may have been burned so he's taking different approaches in the interview process. Only he will know if this approach works for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.