Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 03:40 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,693,340 times

Advertisements

I had an interview today after emailing my resume a week ago. The interview went well. They bluntly said that everyone I spoke to liked me. Right now I got a call from the company's corporate headquarters asking me to submit the online application on their website (I only emailed a resume) and that after I do so she would send me a background check application.

I asked if this was an offer and she didn't say yes or no but rather that I'm in the final stages.

Aren't background checks conducted only after they decide to send you an offer? Not sure why they are making me submit one if an offer has yet to be made.

Anyhow does it seem like I'm in a good spot?

Thank you

Last edited by Boosane; 08-14-2014 at 03:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 03:58 PM

23,539 posts, read 24,041,250 times
It's a good position, relatively, to be in. Some companies will only make an offer, only after a successful background check is made.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:59 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Boosane, it sounds good, but let's be cautiously optimistic until you get an offer letter.

But it does sound good.

But let's be cautiously optimistic.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
It's a good position, relatively, to be in. Some companies will only make an offer, only after a successful background check is made.
I see, thank you!. I thought usually the offer comes in, then background check, if all goes well, real offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Boosane, it sounds good, but let's be cautiously optimistic until you get an offer letter.

But it does sound good.

But let's be cautiously optimistic.
Thank you! It seems like the 3 people I interviewed with really enjoyed my company, and the hiring manager bluntly said that the past 2 interviewers stepped by his office to tell him how great I am. He even made me stay to speak with the vice president as a formality.

However, I don't even have the slightest clue regarding salary. I submitted my job application online and should receive a background check form soon. Fortunately, only a criminal and credit check will be conducted and I'm definitely clean in those 2 areas.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
I see, thank you!. I thought usually the offer comes in, then background check, if all goes well, real offer.

Thank you! It seems like the 3 people I interviewed with really enjoyed my company, and the hiring manager bluntly said that the past 2 interviewers stepped by his office to tell him how great I am. He even made me stay to speak with the vice president as a formality.

However, I don't even have the slightest clue regarding salary. I submitted my job application online and should receive a background check form soon. Fortunately, only a criminal and credit check will be conducted and I'm definitely clean in those 2 areas.

Hopefully the salary is one you're happy with, but even if you're not 100% happy with it, it's a job. Learn as much as you can and then get out if you're unhappy with the salary.

Their feedback sounds good, but we've heard that before, right? I think having you stick around to meet the VP is a great sign - and that hasn't happened before.

What did they teil you about timeframe?

Old 08-14-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Hopefully the salary is one you're happy with, but even if you're not 100% happy with it, it's a job. Learn as much as you can and then get out if you're unhappy with the salary.

Their feedback sounds good, but we've heard that before, right? I think having you stick around to meet the VP is a great sign - and that hasn't happened before.

What did they teil you about timeframe?
To be honest, salary is the last thing on my mind! I just want an opportunity. I guess that's what happens after 20 rejections? I'm just excited that there is actually a place on Earth that's excited about working with me (at least I've been told).

Honestly, we didn't really talk much about the timeframe, but they are in the process of moving to a different floor of the building and I've been told I wouldn't be able to start until Mid-September.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:30 PM

Okay, so don't panic if you don't hear from them next week. And depending on how extensive the check on you is, you probably won't hear from them next week. So what do you do?

Everybody: "Keep looking!!!!"

Old 08-14-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Okay, so don't panic if you don't hear from them next week. And depending on how extensive the check on you is, you probably won't hear from them next week. So what do you do?

Everybody: "Keep looking!!!!"
Thank you! I had in-person interviews 3 days straight this week. I think this one was definitely one of the more successful interviews I've ever had. I literally stayed from 1 to 5... The woman who called me today (corporate recruiter) said it would only be a quick criminal & credit check, nothing to extensive so I'm hoping it won't be too bad. I've never even hurt a fly, and yet sort of nervous.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:45 PM

I just received an email from the corporate recruiter. I was told that the company does not have the funds at this moment and he was not able to approve my position with the higher-ups.

Instead I'm told I can do an unpaid internship for 12 weeks and have it extended to another until enough funds are available.

I called the manager and he said that he'd like me to work under him and that he'd help build my resume and help me find a full time position within this mid-sized company.

On the other hand, I had an interview with a subsidiary company the other day and I had a great interview. They talked about how great the benefits were and really made me want to work for them. They even talked about how each person has to take out the trash each week. I asked them for a time frame and they said they had other interviews scheduled (damnit) and that it won't be until the end of the month. I'm hoping I'll hear something from them soon.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:47 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
I just received an email from the corporate recruiter. I was told that the company does not have the funds at this moment and he was not able to approve my position with the higher-ups.

Instead I'm told I can do an unpaid internship for 12 weeks and have it extended to another until enough funds are available.

I called the manager and he said that he'd like me to work under him and that he'd help build my resume and help me find a full time position within this mid-sized company.

On the other hand, I had an interview with a subsidiary company the other day and I had a great interview. They talked about how great the benefits were and really made me want to work for them. They even talked about how each person has to take out the trash each week. I asked them for a time frame and they said they had other interviews scheduled (damnit) and that it won't be until the end of the month. I'm hoping I'll hear something from them soon.
An unpaid internship not part of a school program, etc is illegal. Say "thanks but no thanks" and walk away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search