Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2014, 03:38 PM

435 posts, read 635,548 times

Advertisements

I'm interviewing somewhere and they checked my two previous places of employment, and my employers would only confirm the dates that I worked there. This employer I am trying to get hired with, said they must give out more information about me, though, not just confirm that I worked there. They insisted that either my employers tell them details about my work habits, work performance, etc or else they will not hire me. This is almost impossible because many employers, since the late 1990s, started only confirming that people worked for them - not giving references. I don't know what to do? I did volunteer work a long time ago somewhere but they wouldn't remember me. I have one co-worker who gave a reference for me, but they said they need two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 04:13 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Throw away cell phone and a few friends posing as ex supervisors. They are being unreasonable. Do the expect people to risk their job by breaking company policies. Sounds like a bunch of cerebrally challenged HR people.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:15 PM

282 posts, read 444,393 times
Keep looking. You have been given early warning signs of an irrational management.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:15 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Someone is confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
my employers would only confirm the dates that I worked there.
This is EXACTLY what large companies do.
Your employer-not-to-be is confused about how the world works.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:30 PM

435 posts, read 635,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying harder View Post
Keep looking. You have been given early warning signs of an irrational management.
I think you are right.

At any rate, it should be obvious that one of my previous employers liked me enough to hire me back a second time. I actually worked for them twice. That should serve as a reference in itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search