Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 08:06 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

I work for a medium sized, fairly niche market software company. We've had a couple of entry/junior level positions open in two offices in suburbs of fairly large metros for quite awhile now. Pay and benefits are very competitive, but we've had next to no applicants. One position has had no applicants in three weeks. The jobs are listed on a few industry sites and Indeed.

We certainly aren't looking for purple squirrels, some sort of financial/technical degree with a decent understanding of SQL is about all we require. It's also not like we're getting a bunch of bad applicants, we're simply getting next to no applicants.

Has anyone seen this recently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 08:08 AM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times
H1 B visa.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:09 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
I would like to apply. Do you have the information? I'm a consultant with Xerox but I'm looking for full time work. Is there one than one position?

Old 09-02-2014, 08:11 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
You must not be advertising effectively or your ad is not communicating effectively what you are looking for. Try DICE.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:16 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
You must not be advertising effectively or your ad is not communicating effectively what you are looking for. Try DICE.
I checked DICE and while there are a lot of postings requiring experience with our product, the actual company didn't have a single job listed. Our site lead recently got permission from HQ to use a local recruiter, but he isn't convinced it's helping and thinks he could do better recruiting from area colleges on his own.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:17 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
We had two positions open recently that required the same skillset (not entry level, but a solid understanding of SQL required ... it was for a II-level position); however, we had tons of applications, but there were only two people within that pool that sort of fit. We had shift leaders from McD's apply and PhD's in software engineering requiring a minimum of 160K/year apply.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:26 AM

156 posts, read 317,979 times
If you could show me a job description for this position, it would be much appreciated.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:30 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I work for a medium sized, fairly niche market software company. We've had a couple of entry/junior level positions open in two offices in suburbs of fairly large metros for quite awhile now. Pay and benefits are very competitive, but we've had next to no applicants. One position has had no applicants in three weeks. The jobs are listed on a few industry sites and Indeed.

We certainly aren't looking for purple squirrels, some sort of financial/technical degree with a decent understanding of SQL is about all we require. It's also not like we're getting a bunch of bad applicants, we're simply getting next to no applicants.

I recommend you get rid of whoever your using to recruit employees. A posting on Monster, Career Builder, Dice or Indeed.com will yield you hundreds of applications. Especially for entry level positions.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:37 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post

SQL is borrrrrriiiinnnnnggggg. I'll never go back to it.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:38 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Did you actually check the Indeed job posting? We posted a job once and found out later that due to a glitch in their system the job never actually posted. Try doing a search.

Also, we've gotten some great people by posting on Craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search