Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 07:08 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Employers can still see that he is Mexican, because his last name is Zamora.

I don't understand how it works, unless you are an ethnic woman married to an American or change your last name also.

Maybe it's me but I would have guessed Zamora to be four other things before I got to Mexican.

I think people are more apt to discriminate based on first names, rather than last names. Studies have shown that all things being equal, you have better odds of being hired with an American name, or a name that's known as having origins in other countries, than names that sound made up.

And, of course, discrimination goes beyond names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 08:20 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthejetplane View Post
Very believable considering the stigma attached towards being a Hispanic minority. BUT NO WORRIES! According the Republicans, the minorities have it good with endless jobs and services, according to nothing.
What are you talking about?

According to the Democrats "the minorities" are the only people willing to do work that "White Only" won't do.

Isn't that why they're going to grant amnesty to five million? And importing thousands of unskilled, illiterate, indigent illegals at the border?

Services? You DO realize that Hispanics overwhelmingly believe in big government, right?

SERVICES? Like the ones Democrats push ad nauseum?

Gee I wonder if it would be easier to get a job if your name were Israeli/Jewish in any other country other than Israel.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:24 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
On the other hand, if your name is Jose it may help get you the job in some parts of the country. Example: Los Angeles has twice as many Hispanics as White population, with about half the people Hispanic. Retail establishments, and many other types of business demand you speak both English and Spanish to get a job.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:38 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthejetplane View Post
Very believable considering the stigma attached towards being a Hispanic minority. BUT NO WORRIES! According the Republicans, the minorities have it good with endless jobs and services, according to nothing.
I completely disagree. I haven't seen many examples of preferential treatment in the workplace, but I have in education. Foreigners with less merit can often get into graduate school where natives with better credentials are denied, or the foreigners get more financial aid, no matter what their personal financial status is.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:11 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,478,553 times
Heh, met someone who said she ended up NOT getting a job because when the HM finally met her, the HM thought she spoke Spanish due to her name, but that ended up not being the case.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:19 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,758,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightNicholas View Post
.....a bunch of young pregnant girls working for us during season. One of them left half way through the Christmas season. And the other one needed a very set schedule for her doctor's appointments. I remember HR saying that was the last time she hired a pregnant girl. Discrimination comes in all forms.
I wouldn't call that discrimination, I'd call that trying to find someone for the position who fits the need. If a person is not going to stay on long or is going to be off work a lot, well, that just doesn't work.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
The name wouldn't have any impact on whether we decided to bring him in for an interview. He either meets the criteria or he doesn't. It is that simple.
Same here. I don't care if his name is Joe Btfsplk orRumpelstiltskin if he's qualified. Although, when I was working in Oakland, CA, it would have been a plus if on the resume or interview he said that he spoke fluent Spanish. That's not an advantage here, however.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:08 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Much of it is simply human nature.

People simply prefer being around their own kind. There's certain things you only feel comfortable doing around certain people, without worrying about stepping on egg shells

That's why people, even outside the work place (when it comes to the neighborhoods folks live in, where they send their kids to school, etc.) still manage to self-segregate themselves despite all of the discrimination and segregation laws by the government having been repealed.

Last edited by 313Weather; 09-03-2014 at 06:48 PM..

Old 09-03-2014, 06:45 PM

266 posts, read 285,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
The name wouldn't have any impact on whether we decided to bring him in for an interview. He either meets the criteria or he doesn't. It is that simple.
You know, I bet if you asked the people that passed on "Jose" whether his name had an impact or not, they would have said "no, he just didn't meet the criteria."

Old 09-03-2014, 07:02 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camanchaca View Post
You know, I bet if you asked the people that passed on "Jose" whether his name had an impact or not, they would have said "no, he just didn't meet the criteria."
I can't do anything about your imagination or what other people would say. We have a written list of criteria for positions; you have it or you don't, all of which can be verified by our EEOC compliance officer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search