Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 01:10 PM

85 posts, read 121,423 times

Advertisements

My GPA's going to be around 2.6 when I graduate. I have work experience related to my major (accounting), and it hasn't been an issue so far... I don't want to think about how it may be a huge barrier after I graduate though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 01:36 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,641,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humz View Post
My GPA's going to be around 2.6 when I graduate. I have work experience related to my major (accounting), and it hasn't been an issue so far... I don't want to think about how it may be a huge barrier after I graduate though.
If I saw someone with a 2.6 gpa and a year or two of experience, I wouldn't pay any attention to the gpa, and I do consider gpa in other cases.

When you look at the big picture, it's the application of information in the real world that counts.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If I saw someone with a 2.6 gpa and a year or two of experience, I wouldn't pay any attention to the gpa, and I do consider gpa in other cases.

When you look at the big picture, it's the application of information in the real world that counts.
I have two years as an accounting clerk and I'll have another year as an accounting assistant by the time I graduate, so 3 years altogether.

I hope you're right. I get conflicting info about how much my GPA matters for my first "real adult job" all the time.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:48 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,641,036 times
Try to learn as much as you can in the remaining months before you graduate.

I don't know any hiring manager who would ignore 3 years of work because of a 2.6 gpa. We would have questions about which courses you struggled with, and would want to know in detail the work you've done, but the odds of you finding a job are better than someone with a 3.8 who has no work experience.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:05 PM

336 posts, read 592,497 times
Same reason as for grad school application. Good grad schools want good students and good employers want cream of the crop. After a few years of employment, GPA should not matter.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Try to learn as much as you can in the remaining months before you graduate.

I don't know any hiring manager who would ignore 3 years of work because of a 2.6 gpa. We would have questions about which courses you struggled with, and would want to know in detail the work you've done, but the odds of you finding a job are better than someone with a 3.8 who has no work experience.
Oh, I will! Learning a lot so far at this job, and there's still more to come.

I sure hope so. Whenever I tell another accounting major my gpa, I get laughed at while they brag that they have over a 3.5+ and they're being recruited to work for the Big 4. I've had Big 4 recruiters refuse to look at my resume because of my gpa and make certain degrading comments about my intelligence.

I'm not going to get into the back story of why my gpa is so low (it's an extremely complicated story and I don't want to hijack this thread any further), but rest assured, I don't party and drink all night and skip class. Never have.

It's reassuring that there's one person in this world who thinks gpa should not matter. Now if only the rest would follow.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:36 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,061,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humz View Post
Oh, I will! Learning a lot so far at this job, and there's still more to come.

I sure hope so. Whenever I tell another accounting major my gpa, I get laughed at while they brag that they have over a 3.5+ and they're being recruited to work for the Big 4. I've had Big 4 recruiters refuse to look at my resume because of my gpa and make certain degrading comments about my intelligence.

I'm not going to get into the back story of why my gpa is so low (it's an extremely complicated story and I don't want to hijack this thread any further), but rest assured, I don't party and drink all night and skip class. Never have.

It's reassuring that there's one person in this world who thinks gpa should not matter. Now if only the rest would follow.

Good luck to you! Screw the hater GPA accounting snobs.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:44 PM

415 posts, read 561,146 times
When I graduated from university in 1977, the only two outfits, out of at least 200 that I applied to, that asked to see my grades were the Armed Forces and one large insurance company in Montreal. Of those employers that do look at grades, some of them might think twice about hiring a straight-A graduate, as although his/her book-smarts are impeccable, they may wonder about his/her level of common sense and social skills (think Sheldon Cooper).

Old 10-23-2014, 04:19 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,930,818 times
I don't think its relevant unless you recently just graduated and are seeking a job that requires your particular degree. If your twenty years past your retirement, I bet you could leave it blank, but I wouldn't do it. HR person might just throw your application if its not filled out.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:25 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,981,405 times
Suddenly I'm remembering that old joke, "What do you call the medical student who graduates last in his or her class?" "Doctor."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search