Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 01:45 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,933 times

Advertisements

I've been filling out a lot of applications lately, and half of them ask for the GPA of college. I respond to it, but I don't think it matters in the larger scheme of things. I got a 4.0 in grad school, but that wouldn't necessarily make me the better candidate for a job.

Or, does it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 01:51 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
An application is designed to expose as many flaws in an applicant as possible so HR or a computer can screen you out. Low GPA, ever been fired ever, salary history too high, gaps, etc... GPA is another easy/lazy way to screen applicants.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:54 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
An application is designed to expose as many flaws in an applicant as possible so HR or a computer can screen you out. Low GPA, ever been fired ever, salary history too high, gaps, etc... GPA is another easy/lazy way to screen applicants.

Interesting, I never thought of it that way. Good thing I rocked it in Grad school, I'll defer to that GPA as it was higher than my undergrad. Thanks!

Old 10-21-2014, 01:56 PM

85 posts, read 103,839 times
What out for the C students; they may become your boss someday!

Old 10-21-2014, 02:44 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
I've been filling out a lot of applications lately, and half of them ask for the GPA of college. I respond to it, but I don't think it matters in the larger scheme of things. I got a 4.0 in grad school, but that wouldn't necessarily make me the better candidate for a job.

Or, does it?
GPA is highly correlated with cognitive ability, so you could use it as a proxy. Cognitive ability is the single best predictor of job performance.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:47 PM

98 posts, read 269,128 times
If you had a 4.0 (and I question that), then what are you complaining about?

Old 10-21-2014, 03:14 PM

659 posts, read 940,993 times
I agree, GPA shouldn't matter. I have a horrid GPA right now especially in my accounting/business classes and they were due to health problems. I had anemic-like symptoms earlier this year which affected my thinking and my memory skills. I'd be studying for days and for hours, sometimes two weeks before a major test, and I still bombed it because I couldn't retain information that well anymore.

I finally had to withdraw from some of my classes. A few months back, I decided that something needed to be done so I changed my lifestyle. Now I'm regular, I have no problems with memory, or thinking. I am getting high grades this semester in school and I can actually go through a full time work week without collapsing like a zombie.

If I didn't have that problem, my GPA would've been higher. As an employer, would you honestly judge my capability to do my job based solely on my GPA? Low GPA doesn't always mean that you're a lazy bum that didn't do the work or tests, and that you don't know the material. I am taking a break from school because working trumps school for now, but I am retaking some classes to improve my grades. I'm just upset that it costs extra money whereas in my previous (now defunct though) school, retaking a class cost nothing.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:27 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,624,965 times
Your applications asked for your GPA? I never experienced that at all! But, I've experienced disability questions and license questions. I think I'd rather be asked for my GPA (3.2 as an undergrad).

Old 10-21-2014, 04:06 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,008,536 times
People ask for GPA all the time. What gets me is when HR people ask me for my SAT scores. One time they said "what were your SAT scores?" but their GPA question was "do you happen to remember your college GPA?" As if SAT scores are more important than GPA.

The notion that SAT scores are important at all is pretty sickening. It seems to imply that people have no chance to grow during college.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:08 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,823,402 times
Never seen it myself. Personally I think if you graduated it shouldn't be brought up beyond a few years out. Now if you made a project certainly you can talk about it. Otherwise it gets mundane. About 80 or so institutions of higher end in Mass don't even ask for SAT scores. It's gradually becoming an invalid test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search