Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 04:14 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Never seen it myself. Personally I think if you graduated it shouldn't be brought up beyond a few years out. Now if you made a project certainly you can talk about it. Otherwise it gets mundane. About 80 or so institutions of higher end in Mass don't even ask for SAT scores. It's gradually becoming an invalid test.
I usually read threads here through an EL lens. I'm guessing people with experience are more likely to know what they're doing and less likely to ask for advice here.

Anyway, if you have no experience, they have to filter people out based on something. You've got GPA, exams if you're trying to be an actuary or accountant or something, (technical) skills, internships, age, and level of hotness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 04:20 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Most likely its just a common application that they use for all applicants. Be it an executive position or an intern. So it may matter for positions that are being filled by college grads, but not so for experienced positions. but since it's the same application, that field is there.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:51 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
I usually read threads here through an EL lens. I'm guessing people with experience are more likely to know what they're doing and less likely to ask for advice here.

Anyway, if you have no experience, they have to filter people out based on something. You've got GPA, exams if you're trying to be an actuary or accountant or something, (technical) skills, internships, age, and level of hotness.
But, I'm also EL too and have never been asked for my GPA. Then again I do have eight years in a library and 2.5 years in an office. Who knows. If I encounter it, I have no problem stating my GPA was 3.2. I think that's pretty good. I wouldn't think it would be screened out. Who knows, though.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:13 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Never seen it myself. Personally I think if you graduated it shouldn't be brought up beyond a few years out. Now if you made a project certainly you can talk about it. Otherwise it gets mundane. About 80 or so institutions of higher end in Mass don't even ask for SAT scores. It's gradually becoming an invalid test.
I disagree with this completely and I hate that colleges are going this way. SAT is a great way to determine how bright you are. GPA is more just about hard work, organization skills and follow through. Those are important, but not in HS because we dont really know whether they are traits the student actually possesses.

An average girl with a hover mom is going to get A's and B's in school. Focusing on GPA rewards that type of person. Meanwhile a bright guy who plays sports, has a job, and has laid back parents is probably not going to have a top GPA because he has other stuff going on and no one riding him.

The girl in that scenario will surely become an adequate employee somewhere. The guy in the scenario has the potential to be much more.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:15 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
But, I'm also EL too and have never been asked for my GPA. Then again I do have eight years in a library and 2.5 years in an office. Who knows. If I encounter it, I have no problem stating my GPA was 3.2. I think that's pretty good. I wouldn't think it would be screened out. Who knows, though.
I've never had it asked in an in-person interview. I don't even think I've had it asked in a phone interview (i.e., with someone who actually knows his/her stuff). Pretty much every phone screen ever (i.e., with HR) has asked for it. And the online applications almost always ask for it. At EL, leaving your GPA off your resume makes the person reading the resume automatically assume it's < 3.0. I probably would have been asked about it in interviews had it not been on my resume. In fact, I recall one interview at a very large insurance company (for an actuarial position) where I was asked to explain some bad grade I got my first semester of college (even though my overall GPA was well north of 3.5). Smh. They also asked me what my actuarial exam scores were even though everyone in that field knows a pass is a pass.

And by EL, I mean honest to goodness EL, not 3-5 years of experience "entry-level."

Old 10-21-2014, 06:14 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Google used to ask for GPA regardless of what kind of position it is.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:36 PM

79 posts, read 73,035 times
I was asked for my GPA during face to face interview by one of the interviewers (out of 2)... So annoying because mine is 2.7 only :@

Old 10-21-2014, 06:55 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
Because the job is highly competitive.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:59 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,315 times
It's on the job application so I have to fill it in. But in my own case it makes no sense. I can see if the applicant is a recent graduate the GPA might have some relationship to his competence. But I graduated from college 30 years ago, so my GPA is completely irrelevant.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:14 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,313,002 times
To make sure they thoroughly jerk you around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search