Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 04:08 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times

Advertisements

I assume this won't be your immediate supervisor? If so, I don't mean to get your hopes up but it's a good sign.

If she's not your immediate supervisor, she really has little say and not too much care. As long as you didn't drool and had an ok interaction it won't hurt your chances with the primary decision maker and that's the best you can hope to have come out of that interview.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 04:45 PM

836 posts, read 1,032,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josekani View Post
I had an interview today which was very short. this was my third interview and my first two interview wentwell, which were around 1 hr each. Third one was with Sr. director, she askedme only two questions, first one was “why should we hire you” I explained what Ican do for the company and then she told me abt her plans for the year andasked me how I can do that, I answered and she said “fair enough”. Then sheexplained more about her expatiations. All together it went only 10-12 mins. Interviewwas initially scheduled for 30 mins. Is it a good sign or short interview meansshe is unhappy from very first impression onwards ?
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Congrats on making it this far!

My assumption would be that she is in a Senior position, she is extremely busy and her time is limited. I can usually tell if I didn't get the job based on the demeanor of the interviewer (rather than the length of the interview). Was she just looking at her watch, looking on her phone, checking the door behind you, etc. every 5 min. If that's the case, then I would say this is not a good thing. If she was calmly sitting with you and seemed generally interested then it was probably a good sign. Body language tells a lot about a person. Typically though, there is a correlation between the length of the interview and how interested the interviewer is. The only difference with you is that this person happens to be high on the ladder so time was probably a factor as to why it was cut short.

Good luck!

Old 01-14-2015, 09:21 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Agreed with other posters... seems to be a good sign. The 3rd interview being shorter probably just for "show", and you got the important stuff out of the way by then.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:17 PM

260 posts, read 675,879 times
I think you impressed her and she didn't have much else to say. Wishing you the best of luck!

Old 01-14-2015, 10:30 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josekani View Post
I had an interview today which was very short. this was my third interview and my first two interview wentwell, which were around 1 hr each. Third one was with Sr. director, she askedme only two questions, first one was “why should we hire you” I explained what Ican do for the company and then she told me abt her plans for the year andasked me how I can do that, I answered and she said “fair enough”. Then sheexplained more about her expatiations. All together it went only 10-12 mins. Interviewwas initially scheduled for 30 mins. Is it a good sign or short interview meansshe is unhappy from very first impression onwards ?
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Maybe they already knew you was the guy for the job and didn't need to go any further. I mean how long does a 3rd interview really need to be? lol

Old 01-15-2015, 06:59 AM

11 posts, read 44,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Agreed at some point you are just reading the tea leaves. In any case you did get to the 3rd in person interview so I have to assume they at least have some sort of concrete interest in you instead of "we already have a guy in mind and this interview is for show". Plus your last 2 interviews where an hour long each so I imagine they really got to know you well and asked from you nearly every question imaginable. At the same time I have never had any luck with interviews that went >20mins. Yes I know there is no magic # of minutes where interview = success, however I just have little hope for any interview that is sub 20 minutes.

If this was a first or 2nd interview that went sub 20mins then I would say no chance, however it being a 3rd interview after 2 one hour interviews, I would wager more toward the positive side.
Thank you.. i am relaxed to see your post and feel positive, she explained me about her plan for the year before concluding. taking that also as positive

Old 01-15-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Did you ask when you'd hear back?
yes and she said in one week

Old 01-15-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I assume this won't be your immediate supervisor? If so, I don't mean to get your hopes up but it's a good sign.

If she's not your immediate supervisor, she really has little say and not too much care. As long as you didn't drool and had an ok interaction it won't hurt your chances with the primary decision maker and that's the best you can hope to have come out of that interview.

Best of luck.
she is not the immediate supervisor, she explained her plans for the year and also told me she is looking for me to involve in the activities of two departments. she has the plan for the year

Old 01-15-2015, 07:17 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Well,

I was hired from a 15 minute interview.

Good luck, OP!

Old 01-15-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
Congrats on making it this far!

My assumption would be that she is in a Senior position, she is extremely busy and her time is limited. I can usually tell if I didn't get the job based on the demeanor of the interviewer (rather than the length of the interview). Was she just looking at her watch, looking on her phone, checking the door behind you, etc. every 5 min. If that's the case, then I would say this is not a good thing. If she was calmly sitting with you and seemed generally interested then it was probably a good sign. Body language tells a lot about a person. Typically though, there is a correlation between the length of the interview and how interested the interviewer is. The only difference with you is that this person happens to be high on the ladder so time was probably a factor as to why it was cut short.

Good luck!
she was not looking at her watch or phone. she was listening to me. she started mentioning why she want to involve in the interview process, then asked two questions. then she spent some time explaining her plan for the year, what are the additional responsibilities I may have.. she gave a kind of target also saying that she is looking to cut short the current manual tasks by half by end of this year end. then asked me "do I have any questions". I asked when I can get a feed back and she said in one week. in my two previous interviews, after the interview I was able to read from interviewers face itself that they were happy. but this one was hard, no expression, nothing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search