Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 12:30 PM

418 posts, read 728,204 times

Advertisements

I would agree that you should definitely use it to note any network connections you may have with the place you're applying.

I've also used it to address any concerns I'd anticipate them having. I recently semi-retired and was just hired this week for a very part time job. In my cover letter I noted that I was specifically looking for part-time work (because I was pretty overqualified on paper). I also addressed the fact that while I haven't used the exact software they use, this has been the case in all prior jobs, too and never been a problem.

If a job listing emphasizes a certain skill or software, I sometimes note that I have xx years of daily experience using that skill or software. Don't repeat the resume, but pull out key information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 12:40 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
For the most part, I typically just keep it to 3 short paragraphs (5-6 sentences). A greeting/intro, a quick summary, and a closing.

In the end, what works/doesn't work is entirely dependent on the person reading it. I've worked at places that always requested a cover letter. But I can't recall the last time I saw one as the hiring manager...

Old 01-16-2015, 02:38 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,294 times
Great advice so far, keep it short and sweet with a key word or requirement included to let them know it is a letter written for this job, not a generic letter you include with every application.

If you can, take a little time to research the organization and identify something they are working on or a problem they may have. Sometimes it may be a general problem in the industry. Like this; "I see in the Chicago Tribune that the agency is working on improving the efficiency of their purchasing processes. Please notice on my resume my experience with streamlining the procurement process at XYZ company. I would love to share with you how this experience can benefit your group."

Those few minutes to find the problem which you can help solve, regardless of how minor, can be a huge benefit. It shows how you are specifically the right candidate for them.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:52 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwibble View Post
We always ask for a cover letter in all our job advertisements. Not providing one means your application is taking a one way trip to the round file.

As for what it should cover, the best ones I see address the position specifically and explain why the applicant thinks they are a fit for it. They can also be used to address any shortcomings relevant to the job. What they shouldn't do is cover the same ground as the resume.

A well written cover letter will encourage me to look at the resume more deeply.
Exactly this.

I require a cover letter for all positions. Many people will remove themselves from the pool simply by providing a terrible cover letter. The worst one I received was a digital photo of a letter that had been hand written on a legal pad. It was obvious that the applicant had somebody else write up his nicely done resume and then he threw something together just to fulfill the requirement to include a letter.

A cover letter not only shows that you can communicate appropriately, but it is your chance to highlight specific experience from your resume that is applicable to a particular job. It also gives you a chance to address being overqualified, wanting to work PT, employment gaps, relocation, etc.

Include appropriate headings, just as with any other formal business correspondence.

First paragraph is very brief, along the lines of: I have included my resume for your consideration in filling 'position name, 'position number' at 'company' that I saw advertised in 'some place'.

Second paragraph addresses issues like relocation, lack of experience that can be compensated for with education or vice versa, or any other errata that does not neatly fit into your resume.

Third paragraph talks a bit about why you want to work in the industry for this company. Try to show that you have a thorough understanding of the position by dropping some industry specific nugget that emphasizes your experience.

Forth paragraph is the obligatory thanks, feel free to contact me, looking forward to meeting you, yadda, yadda.

Signed,

Fishbrains.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:47 PM

22 posts, read 24,345 times
Thanks for your responses everyone!

I think I'm struggling so much because I only have four years of experience in customer service/clerical, and I'm aiming for positions where I am battling against applicants who have way more experience than I do...

It seems any cover letter I write would be pathetic compared to theirs.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:56 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownlifestyle View Post
I'm getting ready to start job hunting; my new years resolution is to make more money and gain new experiences. I think one of my biggest problems is that I am completely clueless about writing cover letters. I've tried to go research and have still not yet learned the proper method for writing a cover letter.

Most blogs suggest writing about why I would be fitting for the job; however, when I read what I wrote, it sounds childishly boastful and unappealing. My only job experience is customer service, so I have to make that sound fitting for the jobs I am applying for. Many of the jobs are clerical positions.

Any help would be awesome! Thanks.

1. Make sure it's only a paragraph long because it increase the chances of being read

2. In that paragraph take one skill and give 3 reasons why that skill will make you a good fit for that position

Example below was for a customer service position. It's more of a short email that was included with the resume that worked well and generated a lot of feedback. One thing we do know is the chances are high that it will be read since it's straight and to the point.

"My customer service experience in non-profit makes me an ideal candidate for the Customer Service Rep position posted on your company website. My interpersonal skills would be good for this position since I can easily develop rapport with clients, maintain a pleasant demeanor, and effectively resolve customer complaints. My attached resume will provide more details on my qualifications and I welcome the opportunity for a personal interview so I can further explain why I would be a good fit for the position."

Thank you for your time and consideration

Old 01-17-2015, 03:29 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,203,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Cover letters usually are nothing more than tooting one's horn. Having worked in HR for many years, it was extremely rare that anyone's cover letter was the criteria for them securing an interview. Their experience and qualifications listed on the resume was what drew the recruiter's attention. In fact, all cover letters were immediately stapled to the back of the resume. Any letters of recommendation were tossed.
Why would you be throwing away letters of recommendation? If a previous employer took the time to write one clearly they thought highly of that employee and this should be sign of a quality employee. By all means verify it but to just throw it away is ridiculously negligent and reeks of laziness.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:19 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,023,230 times
You've just got to know how to sell yourself...the the experience you DO have.

I just did a resume for my 18 year-old nephew who's a "sandwich artist" at Subway. (Heaven help me, yes, that's what they call their workers "sandwich artists!) You just have to know how to describe your experience in terms of responsibilities and accomplishments.

You want the cover letter, resume, letters of recommendation to all convey -- "You'd be crazy not to at least talk to me, and call me about an interview." You want to look so good on paper that --again they at least what to check you out.

Also if you get ANY emails at work commending you, or saying good job on this or that project, or thanks for doing this or that. Keep those too.
PS: of course if you GET an interview you have to be able to explain, expound and back up what's on the resume.

I've done great resumes for my nephews but they're all so shy an soft spoken, I have to remind them. That I can do the best resume and cover letter in the world for you -- YOU have got to sell that and back that up in the interview! You can't have the interviewer ask you about something and you downplay it or act like ' oh, that was nothing I just made sandwiches."

Last edited by rdflk; 01-17-2015 at 12:30 PM..

Old 07-20-2015, 07:54 AM

102 posts, read 117,500 times
When do you send a cover letter and when do you not? I just received an very terse email response about a job position being filled and saying that I should always include a cover letter. The position says 3 times to email your resume to the provided address, but does not say include cover letter. Should I always include a cover letter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search