Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 01:06 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't want to work with / for him, but that's me.

I get that people should be able to rebuild their lives after committing a crime, but recidivism is higher with some crimes. You don't just sexually assault a child and then change. But it doesn't sound like he works with kids, and either the employer knows more than we do, doesn't care, or did not do due diligence.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:39 PM

17,595 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Sexual assault has a wide berth of things that it can be as well.

However.. Texas appears to have a pretty strict definition of it.. But.. There's other possibilities.. He might not have been convicted in Texas, and Texas may be 'translating' his offense to something that fits. "Forced kissing" is sexual assault in some areas.. J/Oing in the same room could be sexual assault in some areas.. So, without details.. Hard to make any rational conclusions.

Before making any decisions.. I'd find out the details. Then, you can decide whether it's someplace you want to work or not.

However, boo-hooing about it does no good. I'd be willing to bet that the guy works twice as hard as anyone else in order to have that job.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:55 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

However.. Texas appears to have a pretty strict definition of it.. But.. There's other possibilities.. He might not have been convicted in Texas, and Texas may be 'translating' his offense to something that fits. "Forced kissing" is sexual assault in some areas.. J/Oing in the same room could be sexual assault in some areas.. So, without details.. Hard to make any rational conclusions.

Before making any decisions.. I'd find out the details. Then, you can decide whether it's someplace you want to work or not.

However, boo-hooing about it does no good. I'd be willing to bet that the guy works twice as hard as anyone else in order to have that job.
For the umpteenth time, the hiring manager assaulted a 7 year old boy. What other details do you need? How he did it? When he did it? If the boy was the one to tell on the hiring manager or if the hiring manager was caught 'red handed'?

Old 02-22-2015, 02:07 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

That's why I said it's possible the employer knows more than we do.

It seems that some of you don't know that in some states, streaking can result in being labeled a sex offender. A college kid walking home from a bar and having to relieve himself, ducks behind a dumpster to urinate, the same. Mooning someone - the same. And if a kid saw this, it's possible it was written up this way.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:13 PM

672 posts, read 811,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
They have always asked, or had the ability to ask if you have ever been convicted of a crime, including misdemeanors.I was arrested for Breech of Peace 20 years before applying for my current job. I answered honestly and was hired.
As pointed out the word "ever" is incorrect in some places.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:17 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
That's why I said it's possible the employer knows more than we do.

It seems that some of you don't know that in some states, streaking can result in being labeled a sex offender. A college kid walking home from a bar and having to relieve himself, ducks behind a dumpster to urinate, the same. Mooning someone - the same. And if a kid saw this, it's possible it was written up this way.
This is true. I know on the Family Watchdog Site, they give you some hints of motivation... like "corruption of a minor - sexual intent." Those would be the ones I would shy away from.

I don't know what the wording is for streaking, relieving yourself or mooning someone is on those sites; however, to be labeled a sex offender for those is so sad.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:22 PM

170 posts, read 235,244 times
The registry is just a terrible idea all around. It doesn't make people safer, it doesn't prevent offending, it doesn't aid in rehabilitation. Worse, the laws are so vague that anyone from a 13 year old who took a picture of herself to someone who peed behind a bush will end up on a list right alongside someone who violently raped a toddler and they all receive equal stigma and shaming from the public.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:50 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
This is true. I know on the Family Watchdog Site, they give you some hints of motivation... like "corruption of a minor - sexual intent." Those would be the ones I would shy away from.

I don't know what the wording is for streaking, relieving yourself or mooning someone is on those sites; however, to be labeled a sex offender for those is so sad.
#1, those crimes are labelled differently. Sexual assault is not streaking. That's called indecent exposure or sexual harassment and is listed as such on the registry. But let's talk about Texas, since this is where it happened and let's see what sexual assault is defined as according to the law in Texas, to see if maybe this guy streaked, mooned or urinated in public and the kid just came right on across the sight:

"For purposes of Texas sexual assault law, a "child" is a person younger than 17 years of age. The act is considered to have been without the victim's consent if physical violence was threatened or used in order to get the victim to submit or participate to the defendant's actions. Also, if the victim for any reason is physically unable to resist or appreciate the nature of the act being performed, there is a lack of consent. Consent is lacking in any situation where the defendant is in a place of power or charged with the care of the victim. This includes the defendant being a health care services provider, clergyman, public servant, or an employee of a facility where the victim resides."

Alright, so by that definition, that hiring manager did NOT moon, streak or urinate in public and the kid did not happen to just see it.

If you want a link, which goes into detail about sexual assault as defined by texas law: Texas Penal Code - Section 22.011. Sexual Assault - Texas Attorney Resources - Texas Laws

This poor kid. Imagine if he had to explain himself to you all.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:58 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
#1, those crimes are labelled differently. Sexual assault is not streaking. That's called indecent exposure or sexual harassment and is listed as such on the registry. But let's talk about Texas, since this is where it happened and let's see what sexual assault is defined as according to the law in Texas, to see if maybe this guy streaked, mooned or urinated in public and the kid just came right on across the sight:

"For purposes of Texas sexual assault law, a "child" is a person younger than 17 years of age. The act is considered to have been without the victim's consent if physical violence was threatened or used in order to get the victim to submit or participate to the defendant's actions. Also, if the victim for any reason is physically unable to resist or appreciate the nature of the act being performed, there is a lack of consent. Consent is lacking in any situation where the defendant is in a place of power or charged with the care of the victim. This includes the defendant being a health care services provider, clergyman, public servant, or an employee of a facility where the victim resides."

Alright, so by that definition, that hiring manager did NOT moon, streak or urinate in public and the kid did not happen to just see it.

If you want a link, which goes into detail about sexual assault as defined by texas law: Texas Penal Code - Section 22.011. Sexual Assault - Texas Attorney Resources - Texas Laws

This poor kid. Imagine if he had to explain himself to you all.
Oh, I'm not blaming the kid and I think the OP's HM is as deviant as can be - I wouldn't work with him given my experiences. That would just amp up my anxiety and nightmares from what happened to me. I think what he did is wrong and I would never work with a sex offender like that. Sexual harassment probably not either. But, funny pranks, shouldn't be labeled.

I think MPowering1 is right; I think the people in charge of the company know more than we do. Still, I wouldn't work with him.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:04 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameCreativity View Post
Is this hiring manager in contact with vulnerable populations, like children? If not, I don't really see a big issue with this. The best way to prevent reoffending is to allow criminals who have served their time a chance to reenter the workforce.
I agree, generally. Having written that, a bad taste is left in my mouth knowing that a criminal sexual predator likely took such a significant job over other qualified candidates who did not have all of that baggage. Still, I doubt that he got the job without having inside connections; I can't see a company otherwise taking on such an employee, regardless of whether he "did his time."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search