Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 11:51 PM

12 posts, read 251,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
Unfortunately those are the three things that most people ask in background screenings: Date of employment, salary (but much less likely) and dates of employment. I'm not sure how HireRight does it, if they reach out to your previous employers or just fax/email/mail through a formal request, but I sure hope they do not.

At first I thought you'd be okay but er... not so sure now. I would just pray they do not go that in-depth with your background check and that the position isn't too "serious". They might just want to do a criminal record check on you. Did you fill out a paper stating which backgrounds they were going to investigate? Hopefully someone else will chime in, too!
No I didn't fill out any background info yet, I will get an email this week about that but I'm not too worried about criminal backgrounds, I do have a misdemeanor offense that was dropped but I disclosed all that information in the application so I should be good on that part. The background check will be conducted by finger print from another company and HireRight will be for employment verification but will they also do additional backgrounds outside of employment verification?

The position I got hired for is the exact position of my current employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 12:44 AM

897 posts, read 1,180,004 times
Here you go: //www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ht-report.html In case you didn't see it yet! Very nice of that person.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
Here you go: //www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ht-report.html In case you didn't see it yet! Very nice of that person.
Crap, hopefully it varies by state. I'm in Chicago lol. And if my job title comes up, hopefully my employer can waive that off since I was honest with my most recent employers. So stressed.

Last edited by BoricuaHec01; 02-22-2015 at 01:09 AM..

Old 02-22-2015, 01:52 AM

139 posts, read 250,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01 View Post
Ok I'll be honest about a couple more things about that job. Like I said everything else before that and after is true but that Supervisor employment I also put I got paid 10 bucks an hour but really it was 9.06 and I put end date November 2009 but I believe my actual end date was September 2009 or maybe even October. It was too long so that part was merely a guess. Worse case scenario I'm off by two months and off by 94 cents. What's my verdict in this case? This is the only employment I goofed up on but too late to fix.
When I filled out the HireRight info, there was a field for salary, but it was not a required field. If your form required salary information, then it will probably be verified.

As for dates, they don't care if you're off by a month. One of mine differed by a month, but it was still listed as verified.

Quote:
Crap, hopefully it varies by state. I'm in Chicago lol. And if my job title comes up, hopefully my employer can waive that off since I was honest with my most recent employers. So stressed.
The location listed on the left was just the location that I entered. That was not actually verified. The only verified employer information is what was listed under "Information Verified".

Old 02-22-2015, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
When I filled out the HireRight info, there was a field for salary, but it was not a required field. If your form required salary information, then it will probably be verified.

As for dates, they don't care if you're off by a month. One of mine differed by a month, but it was still listed as verified.
Ok so I made a couple adjustments to my application and resume before doing anything with HireRight, for example the actual end date so I won't be off at all and I'm not really going to sweat the salary since it might in fact be an option. Although I kept the title as is since I already had the interviews discussing the Supervisor role so I won't sound like a liar (even though I did lie). So if I officially submit the HireRight application, the only thing that will come up will be the Teller job title instead of Teller Supervisor. Do you guys think that one error will ruin the whole entire background verification? Over one word? The rest of the application is fully accurate.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:25 AM

26 posts, read 75,945 times
Most employers these days won't offer any other employment verification beyond dates worked. They won't verify title, or salary, or the reason for your separation from the job. You should be fine.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbankerman View Post
Most employers these days won't offer any other employment verification beyond dates worked. They won't verify title, or salary, or the reason for your separation from the job. You should be fine.
Thank you.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:37 AM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
I just had a Hire Right background check 4 months ago. Definitely, job title is verified, along with dates of employment, company, salary (most companies won't disclose salary information though), reason for separation along with educational verification, SSN check and criminal background check.

One job that I had, had three different job titles (the one I was hired with, the one my manager told me to use and my job title also changed while I was there), so I put down the latest.

The Hire Right report came back with the one I was hired with. (I guess HR never changed their records at the company.)
My new employer did not mind, seems that they were only interested in my educational background, criminal background and if I actually worked at the places I claimed on my application.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I just had a Hire Right background check 4 months ago. Definitely, job title is verified, along with dates of employment, company, salary (most companies won't disclose salary information though), reason for separation along with educational verification, SSN check and criminal background check.

One job that I had, had three different job titles (the one I was hired with, the one my manager told me to use and my job title also changed while I was there), so I put down the latest.

The Hire Right report came back with the one I was hired with. (I guess HR never changed their records at the company.)
My new employer did not mind, seems that they were only interested in my educational background, criminal background and if I actually worked at the places I claimed on my application.
Thanks for the input, I was actually thinking that. Worse case scenario I will say that I was hired as a Teller but got promoted as Teller Supervisor couple months before I left. So overall, I should be fine?

Old 02-22-2015, 11:34 AM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
You could say that. I think you are worrying a bit too much, though. In my past experiences, as long as your resume/application is close to what a Hire Right check uncovers, you should be fine.

I mean, if you were making $70,000 at your last job, and you indicate $125,000, that's not even close.

I've had a few minor discrepancies between my application/resume and a background check (job title, as I mentioned, salary (I am on a salary + commission plan) and they usually did not care.

I think most employers don't want to hire someone who has a criminal record that they did not disclose, or a major discrepancy (such as not earning the degree claimed, etc).

In my past, I was a hiring manager and did not pay attention to minor differences. Red flags for us were:
felony conviction, failure of a drug test, degree claimed but not earned, and place of employment claimed but turned out to be false, etc

Quote:
Thanks for the input, I was actually thinking that. Worse case scenario I will say that I was hired as a Teller but got promoted as Teller Supervisor couple months before I left. So overall, I should be fine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search