Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 08:25 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,770,426 times

Advertisements

Well, I've been helping my brother with his business, volunteering with the Board of Elections, had a volunteer position with a congressman, tutored at the Children's Aid Society and helped my grandmother. At the same time I was brushing up on computer skills and my writing.

I think showing the employer that you're not a stagnant fish is better than lying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 10:04 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,772,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
Losing your savings is not always due to carelessness.
"Losing" your savings is one thing. Not having any is another issue.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:23 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,082,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Well, I've been helping my brother with his business, volunteering with the Board of Elections, had a volunteer position with a congressman, tutored at the Children's Aid Society and helped my grandmother. At the same time I was brushing up on computer skills and my writing.

I think showing the employer that you're not a stagnant fish is better than lying.

Everything that you listed would be none of the interviewer's business.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:10 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,994,656 times
The point FBJ is showing productivity increases the odds of being hired..which is the goal.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:16 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,181,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The point FBJ is showing productivity increases the odds of being hired..which is the goal.
Volunteering is productive. FBJ is against volunteering. It doesn't seem like she's doing what you suggest she is doing...

Old 05-08-2015, 04:46 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,640,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Everything that you listed would be none of the interviewer's business.

But it would show that he was not sitting around doing nothing.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:54 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,082,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
But it would show that he was not sitting around doing nothing.
Since when has looking for employment meant someone was home doing nothing? They obviously had to be doing something if the company received their resume to call he/she for a interview.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:33 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,717,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
That's excellent!

Can you elaborate?

What do you mean an employer can't ask about a candidate unemployment status?

They can't ask "Where are you working now?" or "Are you working now?"
I was interested also in exactly what that poster meant so I googled it:

"The New York City Council passed a bill today that prohibits employers from considering an applicant’s current employment status when making hiring decisions.
The bill would also put an end to job ads that say applicants must be currently employed. Under this measure, New York would be the first city in the country providing people with the opportunity to sue on the basis of unemployment discrimination."

Read more at New York City Employers Can No Longer Ask If You’re Unemployed | Observer

It is like all other forms of discrimination, laws, etc. They will always find a way to work around them

Old 05-08-2015, 07:45 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,717,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisacollins00 View Post
I know it's bad being unemployed for a year or longer but I know this one guy who is 41 and for the past 20 years has only worked two job that was for a few months each. After he graduated high school he went to college and got his bachelors degree. After college he started working and about 3 months later his grandmother was diagnosed with Parkinsons and required 24 hour care since she could not be left alone. No one in his family wanted to step up and care for her so she wouldn't have to go to a nursing home...her doctor said that when they end up in a nursing home they usually do not receive the best of care and will die a few years later. So he stepped up and decided to care for her 24 hours a day and she lived for 12 years.

After she passed away he got a job and started to move on with his life and not to long after that his mother had a heart attack and was paralysed. So of course he was the only family member who stepped up and took care of her on a daily basis for about 7 years before she passed away. He put his life on hold to care for these family members so they wouldn't end up in the nursing homes where he knew they would not receive that good of care.

Now he is 41 and trying to figure out what to do with his life because he no longer has any family members to worry about but being 41 and in this economy he knows how hard it is to find a job. While he was caring for his mother he did take classes online and earned a Masters degree...but even with that how does he explain the 20 year gap even though he was doing it to take care of family members.

I gave him the advice that he might just have to try and re-invent himself in a new career or something.
But it is not like he wasn't 'working'. Caring for family members has got to be one of the most difficult and stressful things to do! For a million different reasons. AND, not just anyone can do it.

So, it is not like he was just sitting around doing nothing! He really needs to elaborate on these responsibilities when he looks for employment. Kudos to him!

Old 05-08-2015, 10:37 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,640,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Since when has looking for employment meant someone was home doing nothing?

Back up there sport. Where did I say that? You should stop putting words into my mouth. No one could possibly know if someone was doing something or if they were actually home being lazy and not looking for work. But the point people are getting you to understand ( I know it's a stretch) is that it shows initiative if someone is volunteering, helping start a business, raising a family, helping ill parents etc. You seem to be strongly opposed to those things which says a lot about you.

Sorry that you don't understand the most basic of words and the intent in which they are used
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search