Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 03:36 PM

455 posts, read 578,191 times

Advertisements

So im having trouble with my job search. I am currently employed, with close to 20 years experience in my field and in my mid 30s.

What is weird, is that earlier in my career if I went out for a job search. All I would have to do is Interview and every time I got the job. Like I would be driving home from the interview and id get the call that I got it.

Over the past few weeks, iv been interviewing with a handful of different companies. I make it deep into the process, and as soon as I think an offer is coming I get the bad news.

It appears to me that I am making the shortlist on all of these positions, but in the end I am losing out.

I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.

I am a tech guy, income well into the 100k range. I know what I am doing and I am kicking butt at the interviews.......... but im coming up short.

I am thinking...... am I asking for too much? Am I better off just staying put where I am at.

What am I doing wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 03:52 PM

736 posts, read 353,209 times
It's not you. The job market is bad at moment. Ever since 2007 the job market has not recovered. I am in the same boat. I get an interview, then I few days to weeks later I get the an email saying I was not selected. There is no way around this awful job market. What your probably referring to is the pre 2006/2007 when jobs were plentiful. The market is saturated with job seekers and not enough jobs. It's supply vs demand. Nothing more to do, but keep applying. In engineering it's the same situation. It's not impossible like a few of the liberal majors, but it's not easy either.

I remember when I was in high school things were easier. You could get a job in retail without any problem. An office job was not hard to acquire either. They didn't care about your education they only needed people willing to work. I was reject for some full or part time jobs cause of my chemE degree. I was even reject at a company I used to work for them before I graduated. They don't seem to want a chemE due the them knowing once you get a job offer you will fly away. They have many people looking for work who aren't professionals and will stay at that job. Thus, require no additional training or recruiting. Every one from the bottom to top is feeling the effects of this terrible job market.

Luckily, my brothers friend brother owns a company that allows me to work for them without string attach. I'm actually a role model work for the company. It's not labor intensive or any thing like that. Often, I'm more bored than any thing, but it's a honest job and I look forward to working every week regardless if it's not a chemE job. I like the people I work with. They each have their stories. One was a dock work at port, but lost his job. Another was a Med student that was kicked from the school for possession of illegal drugs. I only hope that I soon get a job offer so that I can start working in my chosen career field.

Last edited by NekoLogic; 05-05-2015 at 04:05 PM..

Old 05-05-2015, 05:38 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoLogic View Post
It's not you. The job market is bad at moment. Ever since 2007 the job market has not recovered. I am in the same boat. I get an interview, then I few days to weeks later I get the an email saying I was not selected. There is no way around this awful job market. What your probably referring to is the pre 2006/2007 when jobs were plentiful. The market is saturated with job seekers and not enough jobs. It's supply vs demand. Nothing more to do, but keep applying. In engineering it's the same situation. It's not impossible like a few of the liberal majors, but it's not easy either.
^^This. Getting interviews and jobs is nothing like it was 10 years ago. Just focus your energy on trying 10 times harder and doing 10 times more than what you were accustomed to doing before because you will surely need all the energy, stamina, strategy, smarts, etc that you can muster up.

It is supply and demand, plain and simple. There are far too many people looking for jobs than there are jobs available. On top of that, many jobs are being eliminated and downsized every minute. So the completion is much fiercer now than it was then.

Good luck and just don't give up! You are not alone in your frustration.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:41 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
^^. So the completion is much fiercer now than it was then.
uggh, should read 'competition'

Old 05-05-2015, 05:50 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
So im having trouble with my job search. I am currently employed, with close to 20 years experience in my field and in my mid 30s.

What is weird, is that earlier in my career if I went out for a job search. All I would have to do is Interview and every time I got the job. Like I would be driving home from the interview and id get the call that I got it.

Over the past few weeks, iv been interviewing with a handful of different companies. I make it deep into the process, and as soon as I think an offer is coming I get the bad news.

It appears to me that I am making the shortlist on all of these positions, but in the end I am losing out.

I am a tech guy, income well into the 100k range. I know what I am doing and I am kicking butt at the interviews.......... but im coming up short.

I am thinking...... am I asking for too much? Am I better off just staying put where I am at.

What am I doing wrong.
One thought would be to invest some money in a career coach. I used one last year when I was layed off and it helped a lot. I particularly liked the practice interviews we did. You may think you are nailing your interviews, but a little more polish on you interview skills may make all the difference.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:50 AM

126 posts, read 206,332 times
Quote:

What am I doing wrong.

I am in the same boat as you- experienced and seeking positions in my field, but finding it difficult to land jobs.
I honestly think that since there are lack of jobs and influx of people, we may need to "lower" our expectations- whether it's the salary or role, or perhaps both. Or hold out for the "right" job, which could take several months.

IMO, stay at your job and keep applying. dont ever leave without a backup plan.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:10 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,105 times
I think maybe it's just a lot of competition. Others maybe doing just as well in interviews and as much qualified. I have been searching for sometime now and turning up nothing each time. Last job I did was easy to get hired, quick interview and accepted me fast. Now.. It's pretty different.

You may not be doing anything wrong really.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:05 PM

126 posts, read 206,332 times
icemodeled, you are totally right! There's just a lot of competition.

Even though the news says "the economy is picking up and there are 100k more jobs than last year...blah blah blah", I am having a really difficult time landing a job.

All I can say is keep your head up, stay motivated, and keep searching. Im sure there is something our there for us.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:46 PM

455 posts, read 578,191 times
Just had what I think was a really good interview for the first round. Typical stuff about talking about the position and company and my skill set. Then it turned into a really good conversation on a more personal level.

I feel really good about it.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:32 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
One thought would be to invest some money in a career coach. I used one last year when I was layed off and it helped a lot. I particularly liked the practice interviews we did. You may think you are nailing your interviews, but a little more polish on you interview skills may make all the difference.
I was going to suggest the same thing myself until I saw your post. It's very easy to get rusty when you don't use any skillset for a while and it can really be a huge help to have someone critique you.

Quote:
Just had what I think was a really good interview for the first round. Typical stuff about talking about the position and company and my skill set. Then it turned into a really good conversation on a more personal level.

I feel really good about it.
Hope it works out - if not give some consideration to MyTarge13's suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search