Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 04:26 PM

89 posts, read 143,507 times

Advertisements

I work in IT, and have put my resume on Dice, Monster, and Careerbuilder. I am getting all these emails everyday from Indian recruiters that say "Urgent Requirement in Dallas", etc.

I know that there are a lot of foreigners, particularly Indians, here on H1-B visas, but why are there so many Indian recruiters, too? They couldn't have come here on an H1-B visa, since they're not really technical, they're really just used-car salesman in my opinion.

I am not racist, I am just trying to understand how the market works, who controls it, etc.

If I take one of these jobs, who am I actually working for, too? The underlying company?

The IT field used to be fun, now, not so much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 09:51 AM

696 posts, read 906,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralTurgidson View Post
I work in IT, and have put my resume on Dice, Monster, and Careerbuilder. I am getting all these emails everyday from Indian recruiters that say "Urgent Requirement in Dallas", etc.

I know that there are a lot of foreigners, particularly Indians, here on H1-B visas, but why are there so many Indian recruiters, too? They couldn't have come here on an H1-B visa, since they're not really technical, they're really just used-car salesman in my opinion.

I am not racist, I am just trying to understand how the market works, who controls it, etc.

If I take one of these jobs, who am I actually working for, too? The underlying company?

There are a number of older threads on this forum which explore this issue if you want a broader idea of why this occurs; my thoughts are as follows. These agencies are based in India and use US phone numbers to appear they are local. These recruiters are looking for 2 types of candidates:

1) H-1Bs who are nearing the end of an assignment and possible deportation after a brief period on the "bench". These candidates are in panic mode and will take any deal on any terms to avoid being sent home. The actual agencies at least two layers removed from the client (primary vendor -> tier 1 vendor -> fly-by-night Indian recruiter agency). This gives the client plausible deniability of any labor law violations that will likely occur when such an arrangement is undertaken.

2) US Citizens whom they have ZERO interest in hiring. The reason these firms are calling you is to either take you out of the running for these spots by claiming to have submitted you for a spot when in fact they s***canned your resume from the gitgo OR present you to the client as an overpriced American resource who is 2X as expensive as the H1B they are pimping out. I have gotten calls for 3 month gigs on the West Coast (I live near NYC) where they want an "all inclusive" rate which blends all T & E expenses into the daily rate. They know damn well you ain't going 3K miles for a a $40/hr gig with no per diem where as the H1B will pack up his 1998 Toyota Corolla and double bunk in some rat infested tenement at a moment's notice if if means staying in the US.

If you want a gig, you need to rely on your personal network first and foremost and US based staffing agencies and recruiters second.

I agree with you 100% that IT is no longer fun anymore; I haven't really enjoyed it since right before 9/11.

Also love your Dr. Strangelove related screen name BTW

Old 05-17-2015, 03:23 PM

856 posts, read 1,052,063 times
Exclamation Indian Tech Recruiters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonetlumiere View Post
I agree with you 100% that IT is no longer fun anymore; I haven't really enjoyed it since right before 9/11.
Sound and Light,

I am curious to know, if you have time....

I do very limited work in IT but what you and the General said strikes me as odd:

The General seemed to be saying that recruiters have negatively impacted his enjoyment of being in IT which I don't understand- one has nothing to do with the other since recruitment in and of itself has nothing to do with the day to day of being an IT professional.

And then you said something similar.

What gives?

Certainly you are not saying that taking or getting calls all day from slime headhunters is so bothersome that it has affected your ability to enjoy working the intricacies of your IT profession?

Many professionals I endeavor to call who get 'too many calls' each day simply tell their switchboard not to bother transferring calls to them unless they already know the caller.

So I don't get it.

Thanks,

Paul.......

Old 05-18-2015, 07:52 AM

696 posts, read 906,729 times
I meant that IT has changed for the worse in the past 15 years; nothing more and nothing less. The reasons for this have little to nothing to do with recruiters per se.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:12 AM

761 posts, read 832,733 times
I love when I get the IT calls from the Indian headhunters with the thick accent who say things like
my name is being Paul Jones. Lol

Old 05-18-2015, 10:19 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:

You'd usually be working for essentially a staffing agency contracted out to a direct client.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:40 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,812 times
Quote:
...I know that there are a lot of foreigners, particularly Indians, here on H1-B visas, but why are there so many Indian recruiters, too? They couldn't have come here on an H1-B visa, since they're not really technical, they're really just used-car salesman in my opinion...
OP - your primary question being the location of these recruiters - they are not located in the US. They may be very well calling from India. I have a friend who runs a small IT contracting shop in US and he said it is impossible for him to survive as the Indian IT firms are willing to do business at margins that may be profitable to them ($5-10 per hour) but not to US based firms.

Also, at one point, recruiting was a very common profession of the spouses of H1B visa workers as it is a relatively stress free job and could be done within the flexibility of their homes. This may still very well be the case.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:53 PM

268 posts, read 1,133,349 times
Quote:

They always pissed me off They don't even know how to recruit or approach to a prospective candidate.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,415 times
Quote:

I think it is too late to reply on this but here is what I know, I am from India myself.

As you mentioned how there are so many Indian Recruiters are here?

The answer is they are not here in US, they use VOIP phones which shows up as US phone number but they are actually located in an Indian state known as Andhra Pradesh.

My suggestion is stay as far as possible from taking job from one of these companies, being an Indian myself I do the same thing.

They are what is typically called as "job shops", they are some small consulting firms with their call centers running in India and work on commissions, they do not understand what a work culture really means. If they happen to be a small software development firm where owner is Indian, run as far as possible from them else forget what personal life really means.

We Indians are branded as "cow lovers" which is again as real as "big foot" try to milk a cow till cow is dead without feeding or taking any care of them and after cow is dead, kick and curse her for not giving enough milk.

If there are other Indian in this forum, they are going to curse me for sure but what I am telling you is truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search