Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 05:39 AM

631 posts, read 1,094,140 times

Advertisements

On careerbuilder, it shows how many people applied through CB, and most entry-mid-level IT jobs average about 25/day. Not counting applicants from other sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 03:31 PM

222 posts, read 231,873 times
@EvilDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I keep on hearing over and over again, that hundreds of people apply to the same job. I can tell you right now that that's BS

I just got LinkedIn Premium and I find how many applicants a job has. Very rarely, do I see more than 10 applicants listed. So why do people say otherwise?
pity bump

It would probably be good to do some research before you post or apply for a job

just sayin'

Old 06-21-2015, 11:07 AM

28 posts, read 99,020 times
In this market its absolutely true.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:28 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Penguin View Post
Hold on, I thought the minimum qualifications listed in a job description are generally wish lists. And the qualifications you actually need are much lower.
min. qualifications are actually minimums. If you don't meet those you aren't qualified. Preferred qualifications are what you are referring to.

For example, a min. qualification for a truck driver position might be a valid driver's license. But a preferred qualification might be experience in the industry.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:38 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,415 times
I was one of 12 people selected to interview for a very cool marketing job at a museum last year. He told me that he got over 250 resumes and he let me know that he was looking for the best of the best. So, it was a honor to get the interview, even though I didn't get the job.

So OP, yes, some positions do receive hundred(s) of resumes. I'm sure highly specialized or executive jobs get much, much less.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:57 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
It varies by employer of course. We take the word 'minimum' literally.

For me, minimum qualifications are exactly that. If you don't meet them, I don't even see your application because it is rejected by HR before it even gets to me.

I have complete flexibility is setting these minimum qualifications. If I say I want somebody with a license in X and three years of experience in Y, I only see those people. If there is a judgment call to be made where a candidate is close on the certification, but has lots of experience, those will get forwarded to me if the applicant pool is very small. If there are 20 or more qualified applicants I won't even see the close calls.

This works very well for me. I am completely honest and realistic in my open position ads. I post minimum qualifications, pay ranges, start dates, application deadlines, accurate and complete benefits info, etc.
The problem is, not all hiring managers are like you in that they get to (or take the time to) create their own "minimum list" that exactly matches the floor of qualifications. Many (most?) times, the job listing is a template someone in HR pulled from a hard drive the last time it was posted, with very generic qualifications and lots of "wish list" things thrown in. Recruiters and placement agencies say go on and apply if you have 75-80% of the "minimum" and are confident you could learn the rest.

I used to work in state government, and the bureaucracy it required just to chance a job description was ridiculous, so consequently nobody did. In the 2000s, it still asked for "skill with desk calculator" for IT jobs! Even the hiring manager laughed at it--but didn't do anything to rewrite it.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:28 PM

944 posts, read 1,211,143 times
you can usually tell which jobs are mixing up the minimum standards with the preferred standards when they offer alternatives. I once saw a posting from a Fortune 100 company for what was essentially a call center position... it started off with "Bachelors Degree or 4 years relevant work experience" with the list of what constituted relevant work beginning with "owned a small business" and stretching to the far more realistic "retail sales and customer service".

Last edited by brodie734; 06-25-2015 at 03:37 PM..

Old 06-25-2015, 04:09 PM

16 posts, read 14,439 times
We advertised on a number of employment websites and got over 500 applicants for an Administrative Assistant job opening. Over three hundred survived the KEY WORD search, using the applicant tracking software, and had put Microsoft Office, typing and filing somewhere on their resume. How they narrowed it down to a dozen for face to face interviews, I don't know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search