Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 07:45 PM

17 posts, read 45,250 times

Advertisements

I had an in person interview for a sales assistant position at a media agency on Tuesday. I had a panel interview and I felt it went well. Some laughter here and there. I was asked if I would need to give 2 weeks notice, which I said yes. Further, I was asked to send them a writing sample. One of the interviewers commented that I answered the questions to his liking. All in all, I felt it was a good interview.

I went home right away and sent my thank you emails. The main decision maker replied back to my email the following day with this:

Hello Izzy,

It was good meeting you. We'll be in touch with regards to the role.

Thanks.

Not to be a negative nancy, but from googling, it seems the phrase: "we'll be in touch" is a kiss of death, as it's very vague instead of providing a precise call back date, etc. But she didn't have to reply back to me anyway, so I'm not sure what to think of this. Any thoughts?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 07:49 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
Hiring manager likes you. Either they have to decide between you and another applicant or they are having HR work up an offer.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:15 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmizzyy View Post
I had an in person interview for a sales assistant position at a media agency on Tuesday. I had a panel interview and I felt it went well. Some laughter here and there. I was asked if I would need to give 2 weeks notice, which I said yes. Further, I was asked to send them a writing sample. One of the interviewers commented that I answered the questions to his liking. All in all, I felt it was a good interview.

I went home right away and sent my thank you emails. The main decision maker replied back to my email the following day with this:

Hello Izzy,

It was good meeting you. We'll be in touch with regards to the role.

Thanks.

Not to be a negative nancy, but from googling, it seems the phrase: "we'll be in touch" is a kiss of death, as it's very vague instead of providing a precise call back date, etc. But she didn't have to reply back to me anyway, so I'm not sure what to think of this. Any thoughts?

Thank you!
The hiring manager responding doesn't mean anything because there was a time I received a response from a interviewer and didn't get the job. Then there was a time I received no response and did get the job so you just never know what can happen after a job interview.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:24 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
We have discussed this topic many times on this forum. Stop looking for hidden messages in simple phrases. If I had to venture to guess, most of your google sources don't have anything to do with the hiring process, nor do they understand how one works. If I have one vacant position and I tell twelve candidates that, "I'll be in touch," eleven of those people will not get a job offer. Then one or more of them is going to go on the internet and say that "I'll be in touch" is the "kiss of death." The reality is that we will be back in touch with twelve people, but only one of them will get a job offer.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:05 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
We have discussed this topic many times on this forum. Stop looking for hidden messages in simple phrases. If I had to venture to guess, most of your google sources don't have anything to do with the hiring process, nor do they understand how one works. If I have one vacant position and I tell twelve candidates that, "I'll be in touch," eleven of those people will not get a job offer. Then one or more of them is going to go on the internet and say that "I'll be in touch" is the "kiss of death." The reality is that we will be back in touch with twelve people, but only one of them will get a job offer.
And that's why I always say that you can't take rejection personal because like you just explained only one person can be chosen which means you move on to the next opportunity.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:08 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Don't read too much into it like others have said.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:21 PM

Thank you all. My company has been going through an acquisition and I strongly believe my job is in danger. I'm very excited about this role as there are a lot of parallels with my current position. I felt the interview went well, but that's just my perception. I guess I always over-analyze everything.

So I guess they either like me as a candidate or they have already rejected me. I'll stop overthinking it.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:43 PM

Exactly a week since my interview. I guess they went with someone else.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:56 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmizzyy View Post
Exactly a week since my interview. I guess they went with someone else.
Just send a follow up email and then it's out of your control after that.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:26 PM

944 posts, read 1,211,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
exactly, it's like job review sites... they're all overwhelmingly negative because what happy employee is going to go out of their way to seek out Glassdoor or Indeed to do a review?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search