Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2015, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,118 times

Advertisements

I just got a General Discharge Under Honorable Conditions due to failing the P.T test and now I want to get into I.T specifically the Networking Aspect.

I will be attending a community college in which I can transfer to a University in 1 year (1.5 years because I have to take remedial math). I do have a genuine interest in I.T I have since I was about 7.

It is a Bachelor of Science in Computer & Information Technology, I will be concentrating in Networking(Technology Systems Information & Computer Technology Program)

But I have a few questions:
How is the job market for I.T these days?*

How do I ensure I get a Network Engineering career once Im done with the program and have all of the necessary certifications and experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,118 times
The program I want to transfer to
Technology Systems Information & Computer Technology Program

Old 09-15-2015, 05:02 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Been in IT for almost almost 20 years (with a background in network engineering/security).

Network Engineering is under the umbrella of IT operation. As a whole, operations tends to key more on your experience than education. There are certainly places where a BA/BS will be required (e.g. Federal consulting), but it would rarely be accepted in lieu of experience.

Also, it's not really an entry level position. Many started in NOC/SOCs and/or helpdesk. Some went into system administration and 'transferred' over to network because they have a knack for it.

I'd also key in on this statement from your ECU link:

Quote:
Work experience is another area of emphasis in the Information and Computer Technology program. Students are presented with and encouraged to participate in various intern opportunities.
I would ask a lot of questions regarding the internships that are offered. You definitely want to have a experience under your belt. Otherwise, you may end up spending a good amount of money on a bachelors, but still end up working in a NOC/SOC. Something you are probably qualified to do right now.

Bottom line - there is no certification or degree that is required be a network engineer. Do they help? Yes, they can. But experience is the trump card in this line of work. You can have a few IT certification and a B.S. and the guy who has 5 years of experience and nothing else will likely get the job over you.

That being said - once you have that experience, your degree will certainly come in handy when you start looking at management positions (should you want to go that route).

Old 09-17-2015, 07:54 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,988,699 times
I manage a team of network engineers and I agree with the poster above, experience is key. I can't hire people for my team unless they have, generally speaking, at least 5 years of solid network experience for a junior level position (we are a level 2/3 support team). Most commonly this experience begins at the NOC level. I generally don't view help desk as relevant for network engineers, it's too general (sorry help desk folks). While I like to see things like CCNA or CCNP certs I value actual experience more. I frankly couldn't care less if a candidate has any college at all if they have the experience. Which is not to say I don't think college education is worthwhile, but for the work my team does I need technical skill, troubleshooting skills and a good attitude.

I have found that the best network engineers have at least some experience in programming and/or systems administration as well. Maybe I'm biased because I have that kind of background myself, but I have found that programming teaches logical thinking which is always helpful in IT, and systems experience helps network engineers understand the systems that the network connects and helps us work with the people who run those systems (and like to claim the network is why their systems don't work right). I don't expect to find that in the guy with 5 years, but in the more senior roles that kind of background can be golden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search