Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 03:14 PM

43 posts, read 24,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I am assuming that the $10,000 difference is a significant % of the lower offer. If the lower offer is in the realm of $150,000 then $10,000 is chump change, accept the lower one for the commute.

Could SO find suitable employment with an employer closer to the higher paying employer?

My advise, assuming you and SO are long term, is to cut a deal with her: you will commute to the higher paying job for 6 months and during that time she needs to find a job closer to your employer. Then you both move. If she won't do that then she really isn't committed to your relationship.
The $10,000 difference is decently significant, but not a complete deal breaker. My SO works in the medical field as a MA (medical assistant), so I don't think she would have a hard time finding a job closer. I do like your last bit of advice with her trying to find a job closer for the first 6 months. I haven't thought about doing that, but that really is a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 03:16 PM

Also, if anyone is familiar with the metro Detroit area, it might help in terms of the distance that I am describing between the two workplaces.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:33 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings356 View Post
Pretty much sums up my situation, just I described it more in depth with my second post. Significant other's job is nowhere near where the higher-paying job is at, and she doesn't want to move closer to it, because then she would have to commute farther for a job that pays a considerable amount less.
My first wife was like that. Expected me to commute over an hour to the city while making 3x as much as her so that she could have a short commute to her "fun" job. That marriage didn't work for reasons other than the commute, but the commute was clearly a symptom.

Anyway, if you like your wife and want to keep her around, even though her opinion is "wrong" based on the facts here, I'd suggest that you take the $10k hit and stick with the closer job. I commute over an hour now (new situation and temporary until we move), and it's sucking the life out of me. A half hour still isn't great but it beats an hour commute by a huge margin. Unless you're on a train for that hour, then it's ok.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
My first wife was like that. Expected me to commute over an hour to the city while making 3x as much as her so that she could have a short commute to her "fun" job. That marriage didn't work for reasons other than the commute, but the commute was clearly a symptom.

Anyway, if you like your wife and want to keep her around, even though her opinion is "wrong" based on the facts here, I'd suggest that you take the $10k hit and stick with the closer job. I commute over an hour now (new situation and temporary until we move), and it's sucking the life out of me. A half hour still isn't great but it beats an hour commute by a huge margin. Unless you're on a train for that hour, then it's ok.
Well luckily we aren't married yet, or even engaged for that matter, so I'm "stuck" if you will. In terms of our relationship, I do want to make it work with her, but I can only do so much, and trying to find a place that would be close to my potential workplace and her current workplace, is going to be fairly difficult based on our area.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:40 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
The main issue with moving is that my significant other's job is close to where we live, and with her making a considerable amount less than I do, she doesn't want to move too far from her workplace, which puts me in a bind in terms of how far we can move to my potential job.

But that is an entirely different issue, but one that makes this situation a bit more tricky.
Not to sound mean, but you seem pretty young. And unless you're engaged, you need to put much more weight on building a career for yourself than being within 15 minutes of a girlfriend that, frankly, may not be in your life in a year or two. If it's a strong relationship it can certainly handle a bit of inconvenience. HER job will likely not be her last either so don't hurt yourself over this.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Not to sound mean, but you seem pretty young. And unless you're engaged, you need to put much more weight on building a career for yourself than being within 15 minutes of a girlfriend that, frankly, may not be in your life in a year or two. If it's a strong relationship it can certainly handle a bit of inconvenience. HER job will likely not be her last either so don't hurt yourself over this.
Well 24, so still young you could say lol. I know, our careers are much more important right now, and trying to make it work with both of our jobs might not be feasible for the future.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:43 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Your SO should start networking, that is how many find positions in my metro area.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Your SO should start networking, that is how many find positions in my metro area.
I totally agree. With her working in the medical field, it shouldn't be too hard to find a job. (Assuming of course).

Old 11-18-2015, 03:56 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
Quote:
The farther away, better paying job would be around 37 miles away, and the closer job, but less paying job, would be around 20 miles away.

In terms of actual time for commuting, probably around an hour for the one job, and about half an hour for the other job.
37 mile aint nothing, you could move 15 miles if you wanted and still be in the same neighborhood. I drive 71 miles each way daily

Old 11-18-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
37 mile aint nothing, you could move 15 miles if you wanted and still be in the same neighborhood. I drive 71 miles each way daily
Well everyone's situation is different, and I know it could worse, but still, just trying to see what everyone's opinions are. Is your commute mainly urban, suburban, rural?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search