Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 03:31 PM

108 posts, read 104,790 times

Advertisements

Give me the Pre-Internet era any time. Back in that day, people were hired sometimes a day after (or even the day of!) the interview. The supervisor had a lot more say in who was hired. Today, it's so impersonal, plus it's about who you know, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 03:53 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,213,097 times
I see both eras as good times to be a job seeker. You've given some of the pros of the Pre-Internet. They're legitimate. I guess I could look at the other side.

The advantage today is that it's easier to stand out from the pack. Fewer people print out their resumes on nice paper and submit them via postal mail in full size envelopes with cover letters signed with a real signature. Fewer people write custom cover letters, going through each job duty in the description with a comparison on how it matches your skill set. More job hunters today use the "Easily Apply" button on Indeed with canned cover letters, so the ones who put in the extra effort stand out.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:14 PM

119 posts, read 63,180 times
I prefer Pre-internet as well. Gone are the days when you could pick up your local paper, find some jobs of interest and fax out your resume. What I find most annoying about filling out internet applications are that some of the bigger companies require you to log in and create a password just to fill out a job application. I stopped doing that after realizing in most of those cases I never heard back from the company anyway. And the length of time to fill some of them out is crazy. There was one application to a very big company that actually took me over 2 hours to fill out. I really miss the old days. And in some cases you could walk into a place and apply right there. It was very different.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:22 PM

108 posts, read 104,790 times
Plus the interviewing supervisors no longer have the stroke in who they wish to hire; Human Resources does.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand and sea View Post
I prefer Pre-internet as well. Gone are the days when you could pick up your local paper, find some jobs of interest and fax out your resume. What I find most annoying about filling out internet applications are that some of the bigger companies require you to log in and create a password just to fill out a job application. I stopped doing that after realizing in most of those cases I never heard back from the company anyway. And the length of time to fill some of them out is crazy. There was one application to a very big company that actually took me over 2 hours to fill out. I really miss the old days. And in some cases you could walk into a place and apply right there. It was very different.
The ones that require you to create a username and password annoy me too. It's like am I really going to be logging in enough to justify creating an account? Pretty much never.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:29 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,989,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
I see both eras as good times to be a job seeker. You've given some of the pros of the Pre-Internet. They're legitimate. I guess I could look at the other side.

The advantage today is that it's easier to stand out from the pack. Fewer people print out their resumes on nice paper and submit them via postal mail in full size envelopes with cover letters signed with a real signature. Fewer people write custom cover letters, going through each job duty in the description with a comparison on how it matches your skill set. More job hunters today use the "Easily Apply" button on Indeed with canned cover letters, so the ones who put in the extra effort stand out.
That's assuming the extra effort gets you somewhere.

If I have an opening for a network engineer, Talent Acquisition posts it on the Internet. You wouldn't know I'm the hiring manager nor would you even know what office I'm in to send the resume to. You don't know my correct title, so you couldn't even generically address the envelope that way. Sure you could send the resume into HR at corporate HQ, but that's likely a black hole. In my example, that's in a completely different state.

If by some minor miracle it does get to me, I might make note of the fact that you took some extra effort to get my attention, but I'd also take note of the fact that by not following the proscribed process you jeopardized your chances and only got through by sheer luck. I'd probably wonder if you'd do that on the job too. That wouldn't be a benefit. Then, when it comes down to brass tacks, I'm going to consider what kind of experience you bring to the table, not the weight of the paper you sent it on.

Now I know it sounds like I'm trying to burst your bubble. I'm really not. I'll bet that in a smaller company, or in other types of jobs, your idea is outstanding. The problem for a job seeker is, how do you know what route to take?

Old 04-15-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
That's assuming the extra effort gets you somewhere.

If I have an opening for a network engineer, Talent Acquisition posts it on the Internet. You wouldn't know I'm the hiring manager nor would you even know what office I'm in to send the resume to. You don't know my correct title, so you couldn't even generically address the envelope that way. Sure you could send the resume into HR at corporate HQ, but that's likely a black hole. In my example, that's in a completely different state.

If by some minor miracle it does get to me, I might make note of the fact that you took some extra effort to get my attention, but I'd also take note of the fact that by not following the proscribed process you jeopardized your chances and only got through by sheer luck. I'd probably wonder if you'd do that on the job too. That wouldn't be a benefit. Then, when it comes down to brass tacks, I'm going to consider what kind of experience you bring to the table, not the weight of the paper you sent it on.

Now I know it sounds like I'm trying to burst your bubble. I'm really not. I'll bet that in a smaller company, or in other types of jobs, your idea is outstanding. The problem for a job seeker is, how do you know what route to take?
Agreed. For larger companies, it's not the way. I'm more a small company guy.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:18 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
I say now might be better for 1 big reason: Planning Relocation.

If i decide to move to Las Vegas,Nevada,I could fill out applications and email resumes for jobs in Nevada from the comfort of my home on the East Coast.

Plus,once i fly to the interview,i would know in 2 weeks if i got the job or not from the comfort of my home on the East Coast.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:25 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
I used to go to a university library to look at the classified adds in major city newspapers, as well as look at the classified adds in trade journals.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:35 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post

While I'm not a hiring manager, I screen candidates to forward to the hiring managers good potentials. I don't care what kind of paper the resume is printed on. I also never read cover letters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search