Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 10:38 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Yes, this one really has the ring of truth...

Do you remember the old joke about the guy who walks up to the RR ticket window, sees a generously-endowed woman behind the counter, and then blurts out, "I'd like two pickets to Tittsburgh."? This is reminiscent, I think...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 11:31 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,223,339 times
At an interview years ago (I was on the interview panel) we asked the applicant about his work history, and after listing some places he had worked, he started mentioning about possible red flags at one particular job and we all sort of started focusing more, asked a few follow up questions and then were told we probably shouldn't contact his last employer. We thanked him for visiting with us and after he left we all broke up.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:08 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Maybe I've just been lucky but most of my interviews have been courteous and professional, be it working in a restaurant or retail store or a professional technology job.

I think it helps for the applicant to have a sense of humor. It puts the hiring manager more at ease and shows yourself to be a pleasant and upbeat kind of person who will be enjoyable to work with.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:22 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,923,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
There is little doubt some people in the position of power to interview a job candidate are doing this to entertain themselves. Some interviewers ask off the wall questions to see if the person has a sense of humor. Its hard to tell which is which.
I had said earlier in the interview that I had a personal history with the family of the woman who is now Secretary of Commerce. This was relevant because the family's investment office was considering me as their chief investment officer. The interviewer, a woman, thought she was being hilarious and I would have enjoyed the joke too if there had not been so much at stake.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:05 PM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I've been asked at several interviews if I was married. So annoying.

Even though it is illegal for them to ask, what are you supposed to say without losing all chances of getting the job? "Hey, you're not supposed to ask me that, I'm reporting you". I guess you could put it like this "in this day and age I'm quite surprised that you would ask me such a thing".

Either way unless the person doing the interview was hiring you for a position in Human Relations and was testing you either response isn't going to go over well.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:16 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
I remember asking a young guy where he say himself in 5 years and he was like "I want to have a girlfriend." Another person responded to that question by saying "I want to get into any concert for free."

I asked a guy what sort of people he worked well with and he responded, "I like my women spicy like jalapeños."

Old 04-23-2016, 03:17 PM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I've been asked that before. Granted, it was while interviewing for a position at a zoo, so it wasn't that crazy or strange of a question, but still caught me off guard. That and I was asked if I knew whether Curious George was an ape or a monkey. I answered wrong, thinking that Curious George had a tail. Weird question to assume everyone knows in detail what Curious George looks like. And no, the job wasn't working with apes or monkeys, so it was just weird in general to bring up Curious George as an interview question.

Too flippin' funny. What if the person being interviewed had never read Curious George. I know I never had and never read it to my kids either.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:25 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,325,211 times
I was long past the initial interview stage. I had negotiated a start date and salary for a job with a non-profit organization prominent in Tucson. I few days before I was to start, the director I interviewed with called me up and said, "I have to withdraw my offer to you. A member of our board wants his wife to have the job I chose you for and there's nothing I can do about it."

Old 04-23-2016, 04:36 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,730,456 times
"If you had a choice would you rather travel Europe by yourself or stay in a cabin in the woods with a group of friendsin the US and why?" It is an easy choice for me (I dont care much for travel) but the question caught me so off guard because it was so stupid I stumbled on the why.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:19 PM

181 posts, read 206,128 times
I had a third interview recently with a very unprofessional company my area.

First off, this company had contacted me twice in two years for a position with the company. I did not even apply to them to begin with.

I was supposed to have a phone interview with one man. Well, a woman was at the interview with him too, was very aggressive, interrupting both him and me and the first thing she asked was "What got you into ____ field?" and then cut me off at the first two sentences and told me "well this isn't the same job as what you were doing" even though I had already passed two job assessments at that point. Then she ended the interview with a horrible nasty tone.

I have never had an interview that rude before. I am assuming there was a miscommunication between HR and management and they only wanted people with specific type and length of job experience , even though I am knowledgeable about the field. Still, that didn't excuse the interviewers being rude and wasting my time. I was happy I got the opportunity to rate the interview process after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search