Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 08:25 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I've been asked if I had children (illegal) because the supervisor didn't want any call outs for childcare issues (hmmm, too bad children exist as far as she was concerned!), been asked to get fingerprints before I was offered the job (usually that comes after the offer). I had one job where the woman asked me if I could wear polyester!! I kid you not. I had an all cotton outfit on and I guess she didn't like any wrinkles!! I just chuckled (90's).

One job I already had & the psycho boss wanted me to wear all whites w/ my home care visits & white stockings if a skirt. So, when I dropped off my paperwork (to her house 1/week), I'd wear the "appropriate" outfit & on other days, it was casual clothing without socks even. Hehe. It was Florida & w/ the humidity probably 100. Nowadays w/ the job market being what it is, I'm sure there are some strange stories out there.
I have worked in homecare as an RN before,and i understand wearing all whites.

Many clienst and their families want to know who is and who is not the nurse.
People respect you more when they see you in all white,in my experience.
I had a supervisor tell me never ever wear a black scrub again.

Plus,i did work in a low income area,so many people in front of apartment buildings would know i was the nurse and not bother me.

2.I have never heard of being fingerprinted after being offered the job.
Its usually before you are offered the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 08:29 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,651,571 times
Group interview, professional job, group was all women. I'm a woman.

"Will you bake us cookies? We like cookies."

Last edited by 495neighbor; 04-24-2016 at 08:40 AM..

Old 04-24-2016, 08:45 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I was working for a state government agency and I applied for a transfer to a different department of the same agency. I liked the job I had, but I thought I might like the work that the other department did a bit more.

I was in my mid-50's at the time. When I had the interview, the person interviewing me told me (and I am not making this up), "Actually we're looking for someone younger."

Of course that's illegal but I didn't want to jeopardize the job I already had, so I just said, "OK then," and walked away.
I had a similar experience. I applied for a job at a mom-and-pop hardware store and interviewed with the male owner on the spot. Before he even looked at my application, he told me point blank that since I was a woman, I was not a right fit for the position because the job required heavy lifting and in his previous experiences hiring women, they always quit within days because it was too physically demanding. So he wouldn't hire women at all. I suppose this was a basis for filing a sex discrimination lawsuit, but I just decided to apply somewhere else, even though his attitude infuriated me at the time. At least he was honest.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:25 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Circle K had offered me a position in one of their gas stations. I was asked if I would be willing to learn how to fill the ICEE machine. I was like: Heck No!!!

I got the job. Been there for 20 years
Walmart had offered me a position in one of their stores. I was asked if I would be willing to learn how to restock shelves. I was like: Heck No!!!

I got the job. Been there for 20 years.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:02 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,255,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I'm sure there are some strange stories out there.

I never did well as an interviewee. Usually froze up. The strangest -- actually stupidest thing -- I ever said was "You're bragging about that?" when the interviewer described one of the agency's policies that she devised, developed, and implemented. It just blurted out.

The interviewer was an alpha female pit bull, much feared. Needless to say I didn't get promoted. In subsequent postings within her shop, she wouldn't even interview me even though I made the "Best Qualified" list based on job appraisals. It wasn't until a couple of years after that disastrous interview and she had moved on to another Division that the promotion happened.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:16 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I had a similar experience. I applied for a job at a mom-and-pop hardware store and interviewed with the male owner on the spot. Before he even looked at my application, he told me point blank that since I was a woman, I was not a right fit for the position because the job required heavy lifting and in his previous experiences hiring women, they always quit within days because it was too physically demanding. So he wouldn't hire women at all. I suppose this was a basis for filing a sex discrimination lawsuit, but I just decided to apply somewhere else, even though his attitude infuriated me at the time. At least he was honest.
"Sorry, but this position really requires a tall person to do some heavy lifting."

That might have been enough; of course what they need's a man. Shouldn't even need to mention such an obvious fact.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:19 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I never did well as an interviewee. Usually froze up. The strangest -- actually stupidest thing -- I ever said was "You're bragging about that?" when the interviewer described one of the agency's policies that she devised, developed, and implemented. It just blurted out.

The interviewer was an alpha female pit bull, much feared. Needless to say I didn't get promoted. In subsequent postings within her shop, she wouldn't even interview me even though I made the "Best Qualified" list based on job appraisals. It wasn't until a couple of years after that disastrous interview and she had moved on to another Division that the promotion happened.
Yes, it was only because the interviewer was a woman that she had a problem with you insulting something that was a pet project of hers. Because any male manager would have patted you on the back and offered you a promotion immediately if you had said the same thing to him.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:49 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,903,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
I had a very brief interview with a partner at a Boston law firm who thanked me for coming in, but told me he prefers to hire female associates. I'm not female.
Whenever I interview at a place and see only members of the opposite sex, I know my chances of getting the job are slim to none.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:53 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,475,658 times
"The person who had this job before was taken out of here in a straitjacket."

Old 04-24-2016, 02:54 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,903,900 times
I had a phone screen with an old geezer shortly after I graduated college. The conversation went very well and we talked for nearly 15 minutes until he explicitly told me that he was only looking to hire older women for this job. Oh man I was ticked when he said that. I should have thanked him for wasting my time (I mean why even bother calling me up) but I remained polite and professional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search