Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 03:48 PM

12,056 posts, read 8,452,533 times

Advertisements

This might be a crazy thing considering how seldom it must happen, but I thought it was really cool.

I was interviewing for a professional State position and had to drive to the Capitol Building where I was ushered into a very intimidating room with a panel of equally intimidating elders. It was a first experience in a new field and I'd be lying if I didn't admit my heart was in my throat.

I wasn't even sure that I could keep my wits about me and give my best answers. Everyone's faces were stern and poker-faced as I scanned my inquisitors looking for any sign that I was presenting well.

Nothing.

And then, out of the corner of my eye, I caught the slightest wink from the woman on the end. Whew! Thank you so much, dear professional woman, for that little gesture that gave me the extra confidence I needed to articulate well and get the job. Whoever you are and wherever you are - I love you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 03:54 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,983,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I had a similar experience. I applied for a job at a mom-and-pop hardware store and interviewed with the male owner on the spot. Before he even looked at my application, he told me point blank that since I was a woman, I was not a right fit for the position because the job required heavy lifting and in his previous experiences hiring women, they always quit within days because it was too physically demanding. So he wouldn't hire women at all. I suppose this was a basis for filing a sex discrimination lawsuit, but I just decided to apply somewhere else, even though his attitude infuriated me at the time. At least he was honest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
"Sorry, but this position really requires a tall person to do some heavy lifting."

That might have been enough; of course what they need's a man. Shouldn't even need to mention such an obvious fact.
Are you being facetious? If not, I'm appalled that there are posters actually defending this jerk's attitude toward me After all, since the position was vacant, his male employees didn't work out so well either, did they? (which is exactly what I told him before I left). He had no response to my comment on that glaring flaw in his logic.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:02 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,261,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I never did well as an interviewee. Usually froze up. The strangest -- actually stupidest thing -- I ever said was "You're bragging about that?" when the interviewer described one of the agency's policies that she devised, developed, and implemented. It just blurted out.

The interviewer was an alpha female pit bull, much feared. Needless to say I didn't get promoted. In subsequent postings within her shop, she wouldn't even interview me even though I made the "Best Qualified" list based on job appraisals. It wasn't until a couple of years after that disastrous interview and she had moved on to another Division that the promotion happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yes, it was only because the interviewer was a woman that she had a problem with you insulting something that was a pet project of hers. Because any male manager would have patted you on the back and offered you a promotion immediately if you had said the same thing to him.

What part of "stupidest thing I ever said" are you failing to grasp?

Her failure to interview me for subsequent openings though technically violated agency policy and I attribute that to her well-documented vengeful ways and the monumental chip on her shoulder.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:08 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,016,606 times
My old boss, when interviewing me, said "I'm a scuzzy salesman, you can't believe anything I say."

I was recently interviewing someone for a temp position and she asked if she could sketch me during the interview. Then, at the end, she tried to take pictures of me. Very bizarre.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:17 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,918,802 times
In the middle of a final interview with the phone company I was doing a role play as the Salesperson and the interviewer was the Customer. She was giving me NOTHING and in a crappy mood, too.

In her CUBICLE surrounded by noisy salespeople in a call center too, with radio blasting. The office that supposedly had the openings.

This should have been a piece of cake considering it was a "re-hire" from a different state and I'd done it for YEARS including as management over HER position.

So the phone rings she stops mid sentence during the role play and answers it. Has a huge fight with her husband.

Starts crying. Puts her head down on the desk. Shoulders heaving - the whole nine.

Then after about 10 minutes of this crap, while I was just sitting there actually trying not to laugh, she looks at me and says "Are you ready?"

Needless to say I got a rejection letter.

I emailed the HR director who had previously warned me that "this job down here (florida) is not what you're used to".

She later offered me a new interview with the state director and I did get the job.

He took me to a very quiet conference room in the state HQ and asked me was I comfortable HAAHAHAHA. They offered me any office I wanted. I DECLINED the drama queen's. The actual location I did want.

i HATED the new organization just as she predicted and quit the last day of training and started my own business. I surprised myself I was able to fully live on it from the second month.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:18 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,918,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
my old boss, when interviewing me, said "i'm a scuzzy salesman, you can't believe anything i say."
i love that guy!

Old 04-24-2016, 04:22 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,951,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Are you being facetious? If not, I'm appalled that there are posters actually defending this jerk's attitude toward me After all, since the position was vacant, his male employees didn't work out so well either, did they? (which is exactly what I told him before I left). He had no response to my comment on that glaring flaw in his logic.
He was a jerk for being honest with you?

Would you have been able to do the heavy lifting they required? If so, why didn't you say so?

"Sir, I may look small and weak, but I'm perfectly capable of doing lots of heavy lifting. Show me what you need done, and I'll prove it to you."

How did he respond?

Or did you say: "I'm entitled to this job, and I shouldn't have to do any heavy lifting because that would be sexist and possibly racist and definitely discriminatory. You should make accommodations for me being 5'3" and incapable of such tasks, because I deserve it."

Old 04-24-2016, 04:59 PM

806 posts, read 878,714 times
Many years ago I was being interviewed by the local Police Dept. for a position as a Reserve Officer . One of the guys on the panel asked me "what was the strangest sex act you ever performed ? " I laughed and said " strange by who's standards ? " He said maybe we should skip that one ... I always wondered if he asked the female candidates the same thing .

Old 04-24-2016, 05:28 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,768,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
He was a jerk for being honest with you?
He's a jerk because he said he wouldn't hire a woman. If he said "I need someone who can lift 50 lbs can you do that?" it would be fine. It's an ******* thing to say period.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:09 PM

658 posts, read 723,680 times
"What is your favorite dinosaur?"

No lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search