Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 07:40 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times

Advertisements

Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

I can understand the frustration because I've gone through hell and back looking for a job but I would never come to a forum with my bitter attitude or allow it to show in an interview. I always had a sile on my face and did't let them know I was hurting inside.

I went to job fairs.

I searched online.

I didn't give up.

Now that I have a job (and I'm on my first vacation), I know I have to keep fighting because I have school loans to pay and I have to keep a roof over my head. So yeah, I understand your grief and I understand your anger. But taking it out on people doesn't help the situation AT ALL.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-26-2016 at 08:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 10:35 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
The "drink a beer with" is plain language for cultural fit.

We interviewed candidates as a group at my last employer and I had probably interviewed a few dozen people before I left. We were a small team of about ten people and ended up hiring someone who was culturally not like anyone in the office. Very shy when the office was outgoing, had twins and most of the employees didn't have kids, etc. It was a bad cultural fit from the get-go, although she could do the job. The other person we hired around then was in a similar position with his employer at the time that I was with my employer prior to that, and I liked him soon as I sat down with him. He's still employed at this organization and I remain friends with him. Right before I left, we interviewed a guy who had great technical skills, but zero personality. No one wanted to hire him.

Old 12-24-2017, 11:54 AM

3 posts, read 3,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Once again, still refusing to address ANY point that I made, but instead wants to focus on "my tone" in the delivery. Just say you don't have an argument, and the only reason you are responding to this thread is because there's a lot of TRUTH within it that exposes how inefficient the job market is.

You keep discussing how you don't hire people who rant, newsflash, nobody RANTS on a job interview. Nobody RANTS to the Employer's face. Nobody RANTS to the client's face. We RANT in places where it's appropriate, like in a local bar, in a local pub, at a coffee shop, etc.

Why you keep using someone's "anonymous rant" in connection to a "hiring decision"...is beyond me?

It's just apparent you have no argument to refute the points I've been making in this thread. The truth is getting out there and exposing this corrupt, inefficient and stupid system. Anarchy is surely to come, because we continue to manufacture more and more human capital, with higher and higher debt loads, with more and more promises of yellow brick roads. When they continue to come out in droves and realize how stupid the job market is right now, they are going to lash out!

We've been sold snake oil!
As bad as this sounds, it's true, you're right. There's a trend happening. It's like a religion. If you don't drink the kool-aid, you're left behind. Think positive thoughts, take your aderall and keep fighting because apparently that's what being civilized means.

My favorite part is when they call you "family". What is THAT crap about? At the first sign, you're let go. I wish I could do that with my kids... You got a D+? We're sending you to a foster home. Instead of working with the employee to show them the way to do things. You know, all that on the job training and stuff? But they force you to go to the bar with them on Fridays, and force you to have lunch with them on Tuesdays, and force to you bend over backwards. I say force because that's what it is. It's an ultimatum. If you don't join our cult, we're going to use the "fit" excuse and fire your ass to get someone cooler that can barely do half of your job.

The problem is that we don't care anymore other than squeezing the most profit out of people, clients, and banks. Only then we're going to be at a point where we're ready to get even greedier.

It really is that way. As much as we try to fight it, we won't win because we're not in power. The sociopaths are. It's true.

I just had a discussion with my manager just recently. It went something like this:

Me: You wanted to see me?
Boss: How come you're not delivering?
Me: Reason 1, you haven't involved me from the beginning, so I have piece meal information. You asked for simple tasks, I give you simple answers. The quality of the output is dependent on the quality of the input. You have me no requirements, and haven't asked if I had time to look into your request.
Boss: I don't want to hear excuses. Get the job done.
Me: Hire someone else to help me out. I'm swamped.
Boss: We don't have resources.
Me: I don't want to hear excuses either.

Fortunately I have incredible high job security and I could have said those things. The boss no longer bothered me about it seeing how he got a taste of his own medicine. I was respectful, yet realistic.

Interview processes started soon after that discussion. They claim that they're looking for help for me, but I can read between the lines enough.

The only candidate that they got me to interview with was a guy that they thought was "cool" and a great fit. He was definitely charming, but couldn't pass 1/2 of the basic technical questions I had for him. Also missed over 80% of the more difficult questions. I didn't recommend him. No more interviews. WTF?

When the original poster said that something is terribly wrong, I totally agree. 100%. If you don't see anything wrong with what he's been saying, then you are the problem by being overly optimistic. When it hits the fan, you're going to suffer greatly. Talk about depression. At least the realists will be emotionally and psychologically prepared.

I feel like people like me and the OP are like the Matt Damons of Goodwill Hunting. We know what's wrong, and we know it's wrong, but we're expected to ignore reality. It's a mixture for guaranteed collapse.

Old 12-25-2017, 04:20 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
The OP has a point.

Old 12-25-2017, 06:41 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
You have to have connections with pull to get you around the BS Job application process with the automated filters that just kick back rejection letters citing, "You don't meet the minimum qualifications for the position" when you more than meet the qualifications, have the education and meet even the MAXIMUM requirements for the jobs. I don't think companies or public agencies even read the damn resumes/applications PERIOD. I don't know if all job openings are fake (though some are obviously) but I don't think most of these resumes are even READ unless you have that connection that works you around the BS formal process.

If you don't have connections, you're pretty much SOL these days unless you just "luck out"

Old 12-25-2017, 06:46 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The "drink a beer with" is plain language for cultural fit.

We interviewed candidates as a group at my last employer and I had probably interviewed a few dozen people before I left. We were a small team of about ten people and ended up hiring someone who was culturally not like anyone in the office. Very shy when the office was outgoing, had twins and most of the employees didn't have kids, etc. It was a bad cultural fit from the get-go, although she could do the job. The other person we hired around then was in a similar position with his employer at the time that I was with my employer prior to that, and I liked him soon as I sat down with him. He's still employed at this organization and I remain friends with him. Right before I left, we interviewed a guy who had great technical skills, but zero personality. No one wanted to hire him.

Thats another problem too. Introverts have essentially been outcasted from society these days.

Being an introvert is worse than being a felon nowadays. Its the worst sin a human can have now. We have become a VERY shallow society.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:02 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
I completely agree with the OP. There are people in Seattle (where the job market is strong), that couldn't find a normal college degree job that pays more than minimum wage ($15 per hour) for 2 years only because they didn't know anyone that could refer them. A lot of entry level position for bachelor's degree pay $15-16 which is the minimum wage in Seattle and that's the only thing most graduates can obtain when they have no experience.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:03 AM

405 posts, read 573,467 times
People hire people that they like and are the cheapest. I had applied for a job last year and was told that the other candidate was cheaper and had more experience, I only had an initial HR phone screen. Low and behold this month the job popped back up, I had a phone screen with another HR person and interviews with 2 other individuals who worked with a different division who informed me the person in the role worked from home a lot, lived in different state and commuted every in a while which was not intended for this job. The salary they offered was well below market average so that's what you get when you low ball, bad employees will accept low pay for reason, because they are only worth low pay.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:34 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,339,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
You have to have connections with pull to get you around the BS Job application process with the automated filters that just kick back rejection letters citing, "You don't meet the minimum qualifications for the position" when you more than meet the qualifications, have the education and meet even the MAXIMUM requirements for the jobs. I don't think companies or public agencies even read the damn resumes/applications PERIOD. I don't know if all job openings are fake (though some are obviously) but I don't think most of these resumes are even READ unless you have that connection that works you around the BS formal process.

If you don't have connections, you're pretty much SOL these days unless you just "luck out"
Bingo!!!

I do consulting work for a large employer and resumes/apps are not even available for review by an actual human unless they can get past the gatekeeper software first. There are really only two ways to get an interview at this employer, your resume must be an almost identical word for word match for the job description so the computer won't reject it and/or you must know someone inside the company in a position to make your resume bypass the standard process. Management is aware they have a huge problem, the hiring process is designed to hire people that have great skills at applying for jobs but zero skill in actually doing them. A VP showed me several resumes that the computer selected for interviews, it was obvious that they had parroted pretty much every word from the job posting somewhere on their resume. Much more qualified candidates were rejected simply because the computer did not spot the correct combination of keywords. Turnover is higher than ever and they are starting to lose customers as a result of their staffing issues.

They had one candidate that I assume was a very frustrated job seeker copy and paste the job posting verbatim onto their resume as the duties they performed at their last job. The computer selected this person for an interview based on keyword matching. It was hilarious to see the HR department reaction when this was pointed out to them.

Last edited by shorman; 12-27-2017 at 01:42 PM..

Old 12-27-2017, 08:49 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
I've noticed that some parts of the country, there's more emphasis on experience and skills, and in other areas, superficiality and how much one looks like everyone else (more of a clone-worthiness than benefit/value to the company).

Also, young and old valued in some places, and only young in others. If you're older, and you're interviewed by younger "kids", you're toast. It's humorous in a way to catch their body language. The kids give it away that you don't have a chance. They have sort of a dismal "deer in the headlights" look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search