Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2017, 03:34 PM

217 posts, read 283,601 times

Advertisements

I am close to finishing an earth science Bachelor's degree with a concentration in Geography, and am soon going to be leaving for a 10-month volunteer program where I will be doing various types of physical work like painting houses, building and gutting houses, building trails, providing environmental education to others, and the like. I also already have about four months of experience in trail building, fence building, and house mucking and gutting, and four months of experience being a tutor and student assistant for disability students at my college, but I can't get a recommendation from my previous employer there.

I am currently looking to see what career paths would be good for me. My career path is to become a Park Ranger some day, but since I haven't finished my degree yet and want to get a job and a place to live while I finish my degree online, I considered looking into entry-level jobs in the private sector. I took an interest in the mining industry because my father told me it will constantly be a valuable field to go into no matter how the economy goes (from my understanding), and it seems like a field where I can put my earth science degree to use once I get it, and until then, maybe be a place where I can do challenging basic labor work and move up over time.

From what I've read, it can be difficult to get an entry-level job without skills, certification, diplomas, and experience, but I am hoping that the work I get from volunteering will provide me with some sort of skills that will qualify me for an entry-level job if not in the mining industry, then elsewhere.

So when I begin my job search in mining or for any physical labor job, what should I expect and do to prepare ahead of time? What would best match my skillset that I would actually have half a chance at? I'm willing to go to even the most remote of places or do the worst of the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search