Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 06:44 AM

649 posts, read 817,019 times

Advertisements

I am fifty.

These days it is ALL about the social network. We relocated for a new job for DH that he got randomly online however we are now in a small midwestern employment market, compared to the big east coast city we were in before. Here he has had to hire many people and every person is some "friend of a friend" kind of thing. None of the jobs he has to hire for make it to the internet even. I would suggest talking to literally everyone you see about how you are looking for work. Not in a desperate way but in an offhanded way. Mention it to the librarian, the barista, the grocery clerk, your doctor, your dentist, the waiter, the bus driver. Join social clubs and groups for whatever just to meet people and network. Volunteer at the local elementary school, just ANYTHING. To meet more people to mention that you are looking for a job.

I have been a stayathome mom for ten years and have been talking casually about going back to work. I have literally had strangers emailing me because a friend of a friend mentioned that I MIGHT be looking for work. I had the municipal office chase me down because someone told them I was looking for work. They had NO IDEA what I did before or what my background was, but a friend of a friend mentioned to someone that I was thinking of work. These are no big deal part time jobs but they all pay $20 or more an hour for random things. All for self employed people who need some parttime help. I do some bookeeping, some marketing, some random administrative stuff. I figure once all of these part time things gel into full time obligation that I will have enough traction on my resume to look for fulltime officey work. My background is in IT and real estate.

ETA: my neighborhood has a "Nextdoor" local social network and often times random parttime things are posted there. I would also feel comfortable posting there that I was looking for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 10:27 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
I am in upstate NY. I relocated to the Dallas Texas area two months ago, as I heard there were tons and tons of jobs. I didn't get one response to the 30 job applications that I applied to while in the Dallas area. I am now back in upstate NY looking for jobs once again.
Where in upstate NY? You going to find a lot more opportunities in and around, say, the Albany area than out in the boonies, or up north in the Adirondacks.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
My advice for someone who keeps falling into HR unemployment traps is to lie your @ss off. Fake jobs fake references, fake paystubs whatever.
That catches up with you. One of the local City Code Inspectors has been implicated in the deaths of several people in an area apartment building fire. He did an inspection on the building and didn't note the necessary violations, like the alarm systems not working.

Surprise, surprise... he lied on his resume.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:13 AM

738 posts, read 585,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
That catches up with you. One of the local City Code Inspectors has been implicated in the deaths of several people in an area apartment building fire. He did an inspection on the building and didn't note the necessary violations, like the alarm systems not working.

Surprise, surprise... he lied on his resume.

Mainly, he failed to do his job. That kills people every day.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:12 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
I don't have any legitimate reason to claim to be disabled. I guess I could pretend to be crazy or something but I don't even know how I'd do that.

I. Want. To. Work.

Me too but I don't want to go through this stupid charade anymore. Tired of "getting picked last for kickball". I haven't ever forgotten about volunteering but it wouldn't be the same to me (I also heard that even volunteers can be rejected sometimes anyway)

I am diagnosed with a disability but I don't know how it'd work. Some people will tell me I seem "normal" so I don't know how they feel about invisible disabilities.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
Mainly, he failed to do his job. That kills people every day.
Yup. That fire was 2 years ago in March and they only just charged him a few weeks ago.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:53 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
I would look into PCA/CDPAP jobs. They are prevalent in NY.
I'm working as a live in and I make a very good living and have no housing expenses here.
I would think that you would be desirable as a man since you can deal with male clients easier.
It's not really that hard. Some days are crazy and some are chill.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:32 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
A lot of people in the employment forum need therapy or read some self help books. A lot of people on this forum are their own worst enemy. If you don't think the negativity, self pity, woah is me, I am unemployable attitude doesn't ooze out of you in an interview, you are sorely mistaken.
You don't need to kick someone while they're down.

I'm younger than the OP and I know exsctly6how he feels. It's difficult these days to get a job. You have to jump over hoops/dye your hair/write the perfect resume with no gaps to get a chance.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:31 AM

156 posts, read 123,953 times
It could be some discrimination involved like age. I know I've been discriminated against due to age, however some employers don't care either way.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:23 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
You don't need to kick someone while they're down.

I'm younger than the OP and I know exsctly6how he feels. It's difficult these days to get a job. You have to jump over hoops/dye your hair/write the perfect resume with no gaps to get a chance.

Yeah and I'm already in therapy (again! I used to be put in it all the time as a child). It doesn't help at all so I don't know why I go. It's just a waste of taxpayer's money.

I also looked at several ebooks on Amazon in relation to getting a job. I didn't find anything of substance. I have googled up and down. I recently finished a book on my personality type...not much I can take away from it.

The only way I'm going to even have a chance is with professional coaching but it is difficult to wait between meetings. I have also never had success with people who have tried to help me in the past so that's what makes it even harder because I'm worried it's going to be like the last time I worked with someone..wait over a year with nothing to show for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search