Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 02:56 PM

26 posts, read 17,466 times

Advertisements

I a recent post I wrote about how much I wanted to work for one particular employer and even though I did manage to get to the final stage of recruiting, I was not among the chosen ones. I felt sad and still do... But then, I started thinking about the main challenge I had in this recruitment and that is what I want to post about in this new thread - Skype panel interviews.

The recruitment process took place remotely which, in retrospective, could have cost me the very job offer.
A little more detailed info about this Skype panel interview:

Setting: the interviewers were seated in a big conference hall, far away from the actual camera and I was not able to see any of their reactions on screen to what I was saying; one panel interviewer connected to Skype remotely too but was not on camera; overall, two out of three interviewers were passive, did not really care, asked some irrelevant questions and now I am wondering what the hell happened there...

Challenge: I talked and talked but without being able to see any body language from my interviewers, I often felt lost in the process. (note that they could probably see me on a huge screen in their conference hall); I also think that I might not have been able to "connect" with these guys during the actual interview; while I was able to respond to their questions, including the technical test, I have read that "chemistry" between interviewer and interviewee is so important to the point that it would actually decide to whom the job offer goes (i would assume that by the very final stage, it was established that we all were able to do the job).

Furthermore, I have just realized that so far I have had a few other Skype panel interviews but never managed to convert them into job offers. On the other hand, whenever I have a Skype interview with just one person who sits nearer to the camera so that I can see his/her reactions, things go much better for me.

Dilemma: an increasing number of panel interviews are taking place over Skype these days and I feel that I am at a major disadvantage from other candidates who can either interview in person OR are just better dealing with this situation than me.

I feel I'm a phobic about Skype panel interviews now and whenever I have one of these coming up, it's already a lost battle.

Have you had similar experience? Any valuable tips you would like to share about how to be more effective in this setting?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 03:26 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
I hate them too. The one I could see the interviewer went okay. The first time I had a skype interview with one employer, I made it to the phone interview with the hiring manager. It was not a pleasant experience. She was upset that I took a year off. Whatever. The position was put on hold. I did not make it past the skype interview the second time I applied for a job.

I had an interview where I had to respond to a series of questions by phone. There was no feedback. It just sucked. I am not sure how employers properly screen with this process. It is just plain sad.

Unfortunately, we do not have any control of employers hiring practicing. All we can do is hope for the best and keep trying until we land a job.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:57 AM

26 posts, read 17,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I hate them too. The one I could see the interviewer went okay. The first time I had a skype interview with one employer, I made it to the phone interview with the hiring manager. It was not a pleasant experience. She was upset that I took a year off. Whatever. The position was put on hold. I did not make it past the skype interview the second time I applied for a job.
I think that skype interviews in general and skype panel interviewing in particular is one of the most serious challenges technology is posing to job seekers these days.

In my case - those finalists who were physically in the area appeared for the interview in person (BIG advantage!) while the others (me included) faced the skype panel interview (Yiikes!).

Now I know that at least for jobs that are not too far away, I should fly there even if that means bearing the travel expenses on my own. Or else, my chance of getting the offer is minimal...

Old 07-07-2017, 03:20 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I had an interview where I had to respond to a series of questions by phone. There was no feedback. It just sucked. I am not sure how employers properly screen with this process. It is just plain sad.
Ah how the times have changed! First, let me say that I recently retired from a 34+ year profession so I never had to deal with a Skype interview. Just about all of my job hires took place over long distances so there was no choice but to use a phone. I think I only flew for one interview. One even took place using a 2 way radio repeater over 3 time zones. Talk about complicated! But, thousands of people did get hired using the most basic technology and not all of it was a failure. There were good interviewers and bad ones. Can't change that even with the best technology or a face-to-face meeting. If you expect less from the technology and possibly rehearse in your mind what you will do if it fails maybe that will help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search