Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 10:55 PM

40 posts, read 41,074 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone:

Early this year, I interviewed for a job but it eventually got cancelled due to budget cuts. A month ago I started a new job which is a step up from my prior role.

On Monday, the hiring manager for the cancelled job emailed me. He said that job is opened and that he’d like to chat with me on the phone for a few minutes. If I had to choose, I’d choose this prospective job over my new job.

My concern is, will the fact that I got a new job hurt my chances? I feel like the moment I tell him I got a new job a month ago, he’ll say good luck at your new job or something. Some people are telling me to basically leave out the fact that I got a new job. But then when do I reveal I have a new job? If and when I get an offer? That doesn’t seem right. I’d love to hear what you would do in my position. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 06:38 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Why in the world do you think being employed is going to hurt your chances of getting a job? If you are interested in the job, talk to the guy and let him know that you are interested in the opportunity.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:52 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Why in the world do you think being employed is going to hurt your chances of getting a job?
Probably because of all the comments here advising job seekers to not take (let alone seek) any job
that isn't the perfect/ideal one they believe is due to them: that it's better to sit on the bench than cover right field.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:08 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Why in the world do you think being employed is going to hurt your chances of getting a job?
Say nothing. Some people may feel uncomfortable about hiring someone so soon after starting a job.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Say nothing. Some people may feel uncomfortable about hiring someone so soon after starting a job.
But then when do I reveal to them that I have a new job? After I get an offer?

Old 10-26-2017, 04:59 AM

9 posts, read 5,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drooliette View Post
Well do you want to see if the new jobs's offer isbetter than you current job? If this other job's offer is better, would you consider leaving the job you just got?

I think you have to answer for yourself whether or not you're open to entertaining a new offer with a different company. If you are, then I'd say nothing.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:02 AM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
I wouldn't reveal it at all. Now, if you're still working at your current employer in another two or three months, then I would put this job down on your resume. But for now, leave it off and don't tell the prospective employer that you're working. Like I said, some places are hesitant to bring someone on so quickly who just landed a job. You're already trying to learn and adapt to the procedures of the current employer; they know that some people will get even more stressed out when they suddenly have to scrap everything and second guess what they've been doing for the past 3-4 weeks.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:05 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Unless they bring it up, you don't have to say anything at all.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayB View Post
Well do you want to see if the new jobs's offer isbetter than you current job? If this other job's offer is better, would you consider leaving the job you just got?

I think you have to answer for yourself whether or not you're open to entertaining a new offer with a different company. If you are, then I'd say nothing.
The potential job is better in all aspects: commute, salary, job description and so I would not hesitate for a minute if a potential offer came in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search