Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2018, 06:53 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,135,583 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance.....

Applying for different jobs different pay grades and levels in the same company.

How might that be perceived by an HR person?
At major companies would the same HR person see the resume sent in for a 32K basic clerical job -- AND the one who sees the resumes for an Asst. Director position? How big might a company be before those applications would go to two different people?

What would you advise a person who really does have two different skill sets? One let's call it basic office/clerical. Another management/admin/professional.

If you really would take either job, could you apply for both one the same day. Should the person wait a couple of days? A week....so maybe it won't be noticed that, "hey wait a minute this same person applied for a $15.00 clerk job, and also applied for an asst. director position. What's up with that?" And they BOTH go into the trash.

Do you think the person really does just need to pick ONE job per company, even if they'd accept either one?

The fear that applying to the same company one day for a job that pays 32K with just an A.A. or even GED requirement......and then the next day applying for a job where the person is going for an asst. director position and lists their advanced degrees.....could be seen as not knowing what the person wants. Or who knows, they could think the person is lying on one of the applications.

But if the person only applies for one of the positions, their application rate is cut in half. You'd hate to have them NOT apply for a job their would take if they could get it. It'd be like applying for one six jobs when there really are 12 you'd like to apply for.

This person has a job. Just really wants to leave it. Thus applying for almost anything s/he could get. Even jobs for which they're clearly overqualified.

Again thanks for the help......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 02:52 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,135,583 times
So no one has any advice or suggestions on the idea of applying for jobs at two different levels of the same company?

Old 03-24-2018, 06:46 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
At my previous employers, the recruiters would be split up by departments and location.

If you are applying for the same dept, all the positions may be handled by the same recruiter. If a candidate applied for 2-3 roles in analytics, the recruiter may just screen you for all of them at once. If you don't qualify for the higher level role, they would forward you on to the hiring manager for the lower level role only.

At one company, I interviewed with the hiring manager for a management and a non-management role. He said, "I am interviewing you for both." I failed to get either one. I lucked out anyway.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:34 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Here, and at other places I have worked, HR simply verifies that the applicant meets the minimum requirements. The hiring manager makes the decisions as to who to interview, and who to hire. Normally the hiring manager will not know whether the person has applied for other jobs. In fact, the HR recruiter may not know if another one is hiring the other position(s). This actually just happened to me, with a similar opening to mine at a slightly higher level at another location. Since I knew about it and know the other hiring manager I called him to compare notes, and found that my 3 top candidates had not applied to his opening, but my HR recruiter was not even aware of that opening since it was assigned to someone else. They don't have time to spend looking at what else is going on with the amount of work they have now, currently
25 positions open and others in various stages of progress.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:32 PM

188 posts, read 203,162 times
I think it’s okay to apply for multiple jobs at the same company when the jobs are fairly similar in terms of “level” and required skills/experience/education. But if you start applying to multiple jobs that are totally different, it might look like you’re desperate and are applying to anything, or that you aren’t putting much thought into what you’re applying to. Employers can be choosy, and they’d rather hire someone who is very interested in/enthusiastic about a specific job than someone who will just take any job.

Maybe it wouldn’t be noticeable if a company is big enough or because of their specific hiring processes (like Hemlock140 talks about above).

If you’re applying to smaller organizations, I’d think it’d be better to just pick whatever job you want more or that you’re better qualified for and apply for only that instead of applying to positions of vastly different "levels."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search