Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 11:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,020 times

Advertisements

I am currently a student at the university of Michigan (Dearborn) with a 3.5 GPA and 3 years left before graduation. I received my 3rd felony 3 years ago. Also I am a non-traditional student (32 years old). I do very well in interviews and get most jobs if I get the interview. Since my last felony (3rd DUI) I stopped drinking and finally grew up. I went back to school and did very well in community college. In my technical classes I excel and am at the top of those classes. I started tutoring math where I met my wife we got married last year and have a 1 year son together.

My Criminal Record:
The Felony's:
1) 2001 Manufacturing of marijuana (Mother called the cops on me had 3 pot plants in my closet)
2) 2001 Intent to Distribute A Controlled Substance (Same arrest from above)
3) 2015 DUI 3rd offense

The Misdemeanors:
1) 2003 Possession of Marijuana
2) 2006 DUI
3) 2012 DUI
4) 2014 Disorderly Conduct

My dream would be to move to South Carolina and find a job there after graduation. I know I will have a hard time finding employment but it can't be impossible. I would just like anybody's thoughts on my situation and maybe give me some suggestions. Employers must value skills and be able to forgive someones past. After all it's just about me being able to do the job. Thank's in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 07:08 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
I don’t know.

If I were looking at your application, I would be hesitant to hire you, because I see a 15 year history of escalating substance abuse, and that would concern me. On the other hand, these aren’t truly major issues, so if you were competing against a weak field of candidates, you might land the job.

You should learn how to use apostrophes though.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:11 AM

757 posts, read 1,093,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnP0811 View Post
I am currently a student at the university of Michigan (Dearborn) with a 3.5 GPA and 3 years left before graduation. I received my 3rd felony 3 years ago. Also I am a non-traditional student (32 years old). I do very well in interviews and get most jobs if I get the interview. Since my last felony (3rd DUI) I stopped drinking and finally grew up. I went back to school and did very well in community college. In my technical classes I excel and am at the top of those classes. I started tutoring math where I met my wife we got married last year and have a 1 year son together.

My Criminal Record:
The Felony's:
1) 2001 Manufacturing of marijuana (Mother called the cops on me had 3 pot plants in my closet)
3) 2015 DUI 3rd offense

The Misdemeanors:
2) 2006 DUI
3) 2012 DUI

My dream would be to move to South Carolina and find a job there after graduation. I know I will have a hard time finding employment but it can't be impossible. I would just like anybody's thoughts on my situation and maybe give me some suggestions. Employers must value skills and be able to forgive someones past. After all it's just about me being able to do the job. Thank's in advance.
Good for you for stopping drinking! I don't know much about how employers will view this but I think it will depend on the supply and demand for your line of work. If there's a shortage of MEs, then that will help. Honestly, I think you might have difficulty proving that you have turned a new leaf. Companies will think twice about the potential liability you may represent to them, especially since some of these charges are recent (2014 & 2015).

Is there anything you can do to remove any of these charges from your record? Again, I don't know much about it.

I think you'll need to be honest and forthright when discussing your past and really convince the employer that you have changed and can be counted on to represent the company is a good light. Any evidence of your change will help (like sobriety programs, etc.).

There are people on this board with more HR experience who should be able to provide better insight.

Good luck to you!

Old 05-08-2018, 07:16 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Wouldn't the first two felonies have been when you were 15-16? Were you convicted as an adult? Many employers won't even consider felons. Some will fire just for an arrest, not a conviction.

My biggest concern would be how much longer is your license revoked from the 2015 DUI. Most people can overlook a single DUI. Three is concerning. More than one DUI indicates poor judgment IMO.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:18 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnP0811 View Post

My Criminal Record:
The Felony's:
3) 2015 DUI 3rd offense

The Misdemeanors:
2) 2006 DUI
3) 2012 DUI

Look at states that limit the release of criminal history information. Under California law, arrest and conviction records that are more than seven years old cannot be included on a background check report. It varies by state here's a site where you can find out the law for each state: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...mployment.html

Your biggest problem may well be the DUI's, if driving is required for your job employers might think of you as too risky to take a chance on.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:19 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Wouldn't the first two felonies have been when you were 15-16? Were you convicted as an adult? Many employers won't even consider felons. Some will fire just for an arrest, not a conviction.
Good point about his age, he might want to go back to the court and get those sealed, almost all states have a procedure in place for sealing juvenile records.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
We have mechanical engineers here (among others) and they are required to drive company vehicles on a regular basis. That 2015 DUI alone would eliminate you from consideration, because a clean driving record is a requirement. With 3 years left before graduation, that one will fall to 6 years old, so keeping your record clean during that time could make a big difference. When you get closer, look hard for internships, experience will help overcome your record. Being right out of school with no experience and having a criminal record will be a real challenge. For interns the background checks are a lot less detailed, in fact we don't do them we just do reference checks.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:45 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,586 times
This is one of those situations where most are going to fill your head with hope and dreams about how it is going to be ok and then after you invest all your time and money you are going to find out what all felons find.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:36 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,476,176 times
Talk to an attorney to find out whether some of the crimes can be legally removed from your record. Each state and/or city might have different rules for doing this. Some allow it and some don't and there can be specific criteria. Maybe some of yours meet the specifics.

If you can't remove them, then try to find out which states are most lenient with background checks (number of years). Look for jobs in those states if you cannot find jobs in the state of your preference. This will be your back up plan.

If you can any of the crimes removed, make sure the attorney checks records to ensure they are removed.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:52 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Talk to an attorney to find out whether some of the crimes can be legally removed from your record. Each state and/or city might have different rules for doing this. Some allow it and some don't and there can be specific criteria. Maybe some of yours meet the specifics.

If you can't remove them, then try to find out which states are most lenient with background checks (number of years). Look for jobs in those states if you cannot find jobs in the state of your preference. This will be your back up plan.

If you can any of the crimes removed, make sure the attorney checks records to ensure they are removed.
A DUI cannot be expunged in Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search