Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 07:01 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times

Advertisements

Best strategy at this point is for him to keep applying to other jobs. Don’t wait for this one. Don’t spend any more time contacting the hiring manager. If they do come through with a job offer, that is wonderful. If they don’t, that is unfortunate.

Repeated contacts from you won’t make the process move any faster, won’t convince the hiring manager that husband is any more interested, and can only be detrimental to your cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 08:55 AM

125 posts, read 53,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Best strategy at this point is for him to keep applying to other jobs. Don’t wait for this one. Don’t spend any more time contacting the hiring manager. If they do come through with a job offer, that is wonderful. If they don’t, that is unfortunate.

Repeated contacts from you won’t make the process move any faster, won’t convince the hiring manager that husband is any more interested, and can only be detrimental to your cause.
I understand no matter what he does it won't make things move any faster, BUT why can't she at least update him on where things are at? Especially when she tells him that she'll let him know at a certain point?

I mentioned before that she said that she had said to him that it would take about a month after his references were checked to get an offer and then a couple of weeks to get hired on and we are on only week 3 this week. If she had just said that, things would be fine, BUT then she tells him the day that the references were checked that she should have an offer to him by next week and that never happened and it's been pushed back ever since. And he will get an automatically generated email regardless if he doesn't get the job with "not selected" and the reasoning behind it and he hasn't gotten that yet either.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:49 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Quote:

Sometimes it's not that easy when its a job you really want and you are so close to getting a offer.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:38 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapper71 View Post
I understand no matter what he does it won't make things move any faster, BUT why can't she at least update him on where things are at? Especially when she tells him that she'll let him know at a certain point?
Because she is busy? Because something unexpected came up? Because she is working out a bureaucratic issue related to the job and doesn’t know the answer? Because she was too polite to tell your husband to wait 4 weeks for information?

Remember my point upthread when I drew the analogy to a kid repeatedly asking “Are we there yet?”

You already know the answer is wait, yet you insist on repeated contact telling you that exact thing. The only thing you can accomplish st this point is to annoy the hiring manager. I am annoyed, and I am not even involved

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Sometimes it's not that easy when its a job you really want and you are so close to getting a offer.
Been there. Doesn’t change my advice. Say thank you, send one, maybe two follow up emails a week or two apart, and keep looking for other jobs.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Because she is busy? Because something unexpected came up? Because she is working out a bureaucratic issue related to the job and doesn’t know the answer? Because she was too polite to tell your husband to wait 4 weeks for information?
Well if she doesn't know the answer then maybe she can email "Not sure where things are at but I know I said I'd contact you before the weekend". Something as simple as that so you don't feel like you've slipped through the cracks! Even if she is busy, an email like that takes 30 seconds before she shuts down the computer for the day.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:49 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Back to you fishbrains.....

(I gotta say, I give you an "A" for effort.)

Old 07-02-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Back to you fishbrains.....

(I gotta say, I give you an "A" for effort.)
Oh you guys

Old 07-02-2018, 02:37 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times
Fishbrains is right.

Lemmee try.....

I retired from a local government department of about 200 employees. There were about 1K+ in the whole organization.

I was in charge of interviewing, testing, etc candidates and submitting their names for hire. I gave the names to my boss, who passed them to his boss, who gave them to HR and his boss. Each of these links required approval. HR was a huge vortex of uncertainty.

Applicants would call or email me asking their status. I did not mind this and would provide information as I understood it at that moment. The problem was there would be a problem or delay and no one would tell me about it. I got burned unintentionally giving people bad information so I had to start responding generically with vague answers. I didn't like that, but there were soooo many people involved in the hiring process things could fall off the tracks until someone in the chain (sometimes me) started inquiring to get things moving.

It took about two months from interview to start.

Examples:
-Someone in the signature chain is out of the office or worse, receives the hiring request and puts it aside and forgets.
-There is a budget problem that needs to be fixed first.
-We were hiring, but now the political wind has shifted and we are not.
-HR is changing providers for the physical exam or drug testing.

I did not like people nagging me. That would be a cause not to hire them. This reeks of a high maintenance employee. I learned that employees who start out high maintenance tend to stay that way.

Stop calling or emailing unless they have initiated contact first.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:40 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapper71 View Post
Well if she doesn't know the answer then maybe she can email "Not sure where things are at but I know I said I'd contact you before the weekend". Something as simple as that so you don't feel like you've slipped through the cracks! Even if she is busy, an email like that takes 30 seconds before she shuts down the computer for the day.
The reality is he is not a priority for them at this time. Your personal need for everything to be so fanatically perfect and absolute is not the reality of the hiring process. I think enough people have explain that your handling of this is just short of a psychotic episode, so, have you considered drugs or alcohol in the meantime?

Old 07-02-2018, 03:02 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Quote:
Oh you guys
I don't get your response. Are you amused?

Do you think it's funny that over and over again, multiple people have suggested that perhaps you should relax, and stop sweating every non-development. Yet you persist in asking, "why hasn't the HR person done this" and why can't the HR person just to that...." And over and over again it's been said....."for any number of legitimate reasons." And yet again, you persist with "why?"

May I ask a "why?"
Why are you so emotionally fixated on your husband's job search, and every development or non-development? Is HE nagging YOU about it? Is he coming home dejected about it every day? Or are YOU the one who's most obsessed?

I'm not saying you as a wife, shouldn't be concerned and aware of your husband's job search. But your approach seems "off." And again, you've been told more than once, that your husband shouldn't keep contacting this HR every time a deadline passes by which time the HR person had said she'd contact him. And you continue to ask why even after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search