Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2019, 04:45 PM

22 posts, read 16,774 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently had a job interview and during the interview, the role was explained to me more in detail of what I would be doing. This is a data analytics position, and the description when I applied seemed like it would be more well rounded using various tools and skills which I have and enjoy doing and hope to continue doing so at my next job, but then when it was explained to me in person, it seemed as if now this position will strictly be doing only reporting with one specific tool only.

When I heard this and that the most of the tools and skills that I listed on my resume would not be utilized by this position I was a little bummed to be honest. The interview finished fine and it seems that I most likely will get the offer sometime soon based on how it ended, but I am really not sure how to approach this and feel I should continue searching for something I feel more fitting.

What is everyone's opinions on this?

Have you ever interviewed and during it, the job explanation turned out to be a little different than what you expected when applying?

Also have you ever turned down a job offer based on a situation like this and how would you bring this up?

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 05:42 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
If there was that much of a disconnect between the advertised job description and what was explained during the interview I would ask for some clarification before I accepted the position. If they don't offer me the position it won't matter.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:12 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
I ended up taking a job that was really different than the interview suggested because every unit used the same script. However, my unit had much less of X (which was what I wanted to do) and much more of Y (which was not so much what I wanted to do). I ended up staying less than a year before going back to my old employer in a different role.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:57 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,903,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncetime View Post
Have you ever interviewed and during it, the job explanation turned out to be a little different than what you expected when applying?
Yes.

I once applied for a customer service position and didn't learn until the interview that the job was actually an inside sales/telemarketing position. It was 80% trying to sell kitchen supplies to restaurant managers.

I just couldn't feel passionate and excited about having to sell deep fryers to restaurant managers, let alone push things on them that they didn't need. Luckily they didn't offer me the job but they did repost the job online again after two months. I guess the sucker they hired walked out.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:32 AM

4,972 posts, read 2,715,111 times
It is difficult to judge how a job is going to work out based on an interview or even a series of interviews. The interviewers could be lying about the job or not, but you wouldn't really know until you actually started work. Even if the interviewers were completely honest, job responsibilities change all the time. So after starting the new job it could change into something that the interviewers never foresaw or expected.

On the other hand, a lousy interview and the candidate holding their nose and taking the job anyway could turn out better than expected or even great. It is just not possible to forsee what will happen by the information presented during the interview process. You just have take your chances and give it your best shot.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:37 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,750 times
The worst interview experience of my life was over a job that was misrepresented in the ad for it.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:23 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,229,962 times
One time I had an interview with a company that gave me job description #1. Interviewed 4 people that morning. First person interviewed me for job description #2. Second, interviewed me for job description #3. Third, interviewed me for job description #4. Fourth interviewed me for job description #5. They offered me a job for job description #1.

They clearly did not know what they were doing. Especially when they low-balled me on job description #1 by 25K a year, when I brought up the salary range for such a position, they yanked the job offer. One month later, I got a gig at market rates for a similar position.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:55 PM

615 posts, read 666,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncetime View Post

What is everyone's opinions on this?

Also have you ever turned down a job offer based on a situation like this and how would you bring this up?

Thanks for any advice!
They intentionally lied to you. Then they came clean during the interview hoping you will cave. Looking for a bright side, at least they told you before you started working. I wouldn't accept any offer from them. They already broke your trust and they will treat you like a welcome mat because they can and will, if you accept an offer. Don't cave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search