Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 09:27 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
I maintain a full functioning home office. I have not been employed doing office work. I DO use computers, Microsoft Office, ( Word, Excel, Adobe, Power Point) printers, scanner, fax, Email , ( I still run into people who don’t even use email! ) IPAD, Iphone. Have worked out of my home for twenty years. Bought my first “laptop” 30 years ago......I mention all of this on my resume but lessen the “years” experience...I thought my experience and use would at least open the door to an “office” job interview that asks for “ one year” of experience and the GED minimal requirement. ( Eye roll)

Yes, I have decided to omit my BS-Business degree. And tighten up the years that I have used the office equipment. I am looking for a job that can take me into retirement in 5 years....yes, I will make less $$$, not travel for work, not depreciate a car to ZERO $$$ value in 5 years, work close to home. Just want to work...advice? How to word this on my resume?
You need to do networking to find a job through a personal relationship of someone who can speak highly of you. You should include the business degree on your resume. That's to your credit.

You might start off thinking you don't know anyone, but first start with your neighbors. Do this as an exercise and you will be surprised to find out you actually know someone or they know someone to help you get hired. Follow these steps:
  1. List the names of all of your neighbors even if they are blocks from you. Include people you see socially in the area.
  2. Go through the list and write down what field they work in. If you know the company, put that down too.
  3. Think about each of these neighbors and list where their spouse, relative (brother-in-law, etc.) or friends work.
  4. After you have this assembled, look for job postings in those companies.
  5. See if they offer an employee referral bonus if you are hired. If so, ask them to refer you to the job.
  6. Meet with everyone and ask for their e-mail address and send your resume to them.
  7. Ask them for feedback on the resume, because each company looks for different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 08:23 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,760 times
Excellent idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search