Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 04:30 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,760 times

Advertisements

I maintain a full functioning home office. I have not been employed doing office work. I DO use computers, Microsoft Office, ( Word, Excel, Adobe, Power Point) printers, scanner, fax, Email , ( I still run into people who don’t even use email! ) IPAD, Iphone. Have worked out of my home for twenty years. Bought my first “laptop” 30 years ago......I mention all of this on my resume but lessen the “years” experience...I thought my experience and use would at least open the door to an “office” job interview that asks for “ one year” of experience and the GED minimal requirement. ( Eye roll)

Yes, I have decided to omit my BS-Business degree. And tighten up the years that I have used the office equipment. I am looking for a job that can take me into retirement in 5 years....yes, I will make less $$$, not travel for work, not depreciate a car to ZERO $$$ value in 5 years, work close to home. Just want to work...advice? How to word this on my resume?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 06:58 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
With what frequency do you use the skills you mentioned? Do you have a home office, or do you run a home based business? There is a huge difference between having a home office, and using the skills in a business setting.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:08 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
Since you did not use your experience in an actual paid setting, employers don't want to count that experience as experience, but rather they count it as education.

The catch-22 (no job, no experience; no experience, no job) is real and bites hard.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:23 PM

Bobsell.....Yea..I guess you are correct...

Old 04-30-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
With what frequency do you use the skills you mentioned? Do you have a home office, or do you run a home based business? There is a huge difference between having a home office, and using the skills in a business setting.
I use my home office daily for my needs....excel for my customer lists..I take the minutes and type them up for a couple of Boards that I sit on. Newsletter and brochures for a club. Mailing list for my Holiday cards. Ipad program is used to enter my orders etc.

beginning to feel like a failure looking for jobs that pay 60% - 50% LESS than what I currently earn now. Tired of traveling etc. nice problem to have but....I am tired and want to dial back the stress. Retire in 5 years. Might be forced to rethink the timeline. Whatever.....sigh....

Old 05-01-2019, 01:38 AM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Its not just knowing how to USE the various tech devices, machines, or software but what you used them to DO that is specific and immediately applicable to the potential employer's business.

For example. I know how to use pretty much all of the same basic modern day tech you listed, but used them for public land conservation program applications. I could make a good impression on another land management agency interviewer because of that. However, no matter how great I am using Excel or a laptop, if I've never used them to create and distribute an investment prospectus for clients it isn't going to impress anyone at an investment broker's office. Making a connection between your skills and the employer's need is going to matter a lot.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-01-2019 at 02:55 AM..

Old 05-01-2019, 06:42 AM

I read the job descriptions and apply to the “simple” descriptions. I know not to apply for “executive” admin positions. One year experience and GED. I started to leave off my degree. Might have to start applying for phone sales call center positions. Yikes!

Old 05-01-2019, 06:54 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Just a few thoughts.

You get what you pay for and you pay for what you get. If a company asks for one year of experience it's because they only want to pay for one year of experience. If you list 10 years of experience that may deter them as they may think you will cost more.

Using skills for yourself at home for yourself is valued less than using them in an office for someone else. As an employee, you had to use them adequately to satisfy the demands of the employer. As an owner, anything you did could be accepted as good enough.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Just a few thoughts.

You get what you pay for and you pay for what you get. If a company asks for one year of experience it's because they only want to pay for one year of experience. If you list 10 years of experience that may deter them as they may think you will cost more.

Using skills for yourself at home for yourself is valued less than using them in an office for someone else. As an employee, you had to use them adequately to satisfy the demands of the employer. As an owner, anything you did could be accepted as good enough.
I get what you are saying. Thank you.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:50 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
I read the job descriptions and apply to the “simple” descriptions. I know not to apply for “executive” admin positions. One year experience and GED. I started to leave off my degree. Might have to start applying for phone sales call center positions. Yikes!
Keep your degree on your resume. The big issue you have is that nothing you've done is quantifiable. You've not been held accountable by anyone to produce results.

I would suggest you get a volunteer admin job or do some freelance work to pad your resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search