Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 04:10 PM

1,092 posts, read 580,096 times

Advertisements

I was laid off almost two months ago, and am still job hunting. Given that many business are going to extremes to avoid spreading the virus, do you think I'm right in assuming my chances of finding a job anytime soon are going to plummet? I don't see how businesses can be concerned with hiring new people when they're sending their existing staff home to avoid getting sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 04:17 PM

1,065 posts, read 471,986 times
Not all of them. Only the ones looking for employment.

Heck, we have frozen all recruiting right now. If you are already being interviewed, we will continue with the process. But we aren't responding to candidates immediately due to logistical issues. We're in the process of shifting to working remotely. For some areas, that will be simple. For others, it will take a week or so. I can only imagine that there will be delays in hiring.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:29 PM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
I think it’s going to be tougher to find a position until this situation passes. Some companies have frozen hiring, some are dealing with reduced demand and will need to re-evaluate hiring needs once this passes. Still, this virus is a big overall distraction to our normal way of life.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:44 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
The virus will absolutely have a huge negative effect on people looking for jobs, no question. A software developer friend of mine who had been interviewing got rejected or ghosted everywhere except by a hospital. Coincidence?

Old 03-15-2020, 11:56 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I was laid off almost two months ago, and am still job hunting. Given that many business are going to extremes to avoid spreading the virus, do you think I'm right in assuming my chances of finding a job anytime soon are going to plummet? I don't see how businesses can be concerned with hiring new people when they're sending their existing staff home to avoid getting sick.
It will impact job recruitment for a number of reasons already stated. However, once the unemployment numbers hit a certain point, and voters start pressuring their stubborn elected representatives in Congress to act, (some view unemployed as lazy shiftless nobodies bilking the system), there may at least be some additional monetary relief for those who are caught up in this crisis.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
The local grocery stores, especially our Kroger (Fred Meyer) are advertising for help, to meet the increased demand for food with all of our restaurants closed statewide. This would most likely be a temporary condition, however. My employer, like many others has imposed a hiring freeze. Our 96 new positions are on hold.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:57 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,558,762 times
Good luck. A lot of companies instituting hiring freeze, at least unofficial ones.

The only ones that may be doing well and possibly hiring during the crisis is grocery type stores, costco, sams, etc. and companies like amazon who specialize in online delivery.

Old 03-16-2020, 11:50 AM

1,092 posts, read 580,096 times
I spoke with a job recruiter today who basically confirmed all of what we're discussing here, but who also believes that there will be a major surge in hiring once the crisis settles down. Her agency is talking to as many candidates as possible now so they are ready when this happens. We can only hope.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:10 PM

1,065 posts, read 471,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I spoke with a job recruiter today who basically confirmed all of what we're discussing here, but who also believes that there will be a major surge in hiring once the crisis settles down. Her agency is talking to as many candidates as possible now so they are ready when this happens. We can only hope.
The thing is that no one knows how long it will take for the crisis to settle down. The Virus may go away within a month or so, but the rippling impact of shutting down entire states and/or countries will be around for quite some time after (months to years).

Old 03-16-2020, 09:18 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
I think it's not only going to reduce hiring, it's going to add a lot of people to the ranks of the unemployed, as businesses that can't afford to be closed for weeks go out of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search