Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2020, 11:25 AM

21 posts, read 16,636 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My family and I are in the process of decluttering to list our home. Plans are to list between October and February at the latest. I work from home and will keep my current position. My husband is in the market for a new job..how do I assist him in finding something ahead of time. We are moving to a small town and there isn't a huge job market. Any suggestions on how to secure employment that wouldn't be needed until late Spring? How early is too early to start searching? COVID ruined plans to visit early this Summer and we don't want to travel down until it's time to start house searching or if an in-person interview is required. With an out of state address I feel like his resume is being automatically rejected, also if he was contacted he wouldn't be able to start until May of 2021. Has anyone else moved out of state and have more advice on how the process went with job searching or a timeframe? Recruiters any advice ??

**If it matters, we qualify for a loan without him securing employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 04:31 PM

34,105 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayyleej View Post
My family and I are in the process of decluttering to list our home.
Plans are to list between October and February at the latest.
I work from home and will keep my current position.

My husband is in the market for a new job...
We are moving to a small town and there isn't a huge job market.
WHY? Why would you choose to move to anywhere without a strong job market?

Old 08-31-2020, 06:02 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,304,345 times
Unless he has an in demand skill, there is not any reason for an employer to consider an out of state applicant. What type of work does he do?

Old 08-31-2020, 06:22 PM

We live in a town of 2500 so jobs are rare here as it is. Looking into a town around 15,000 people. Love the area, used to visit every summer when I was a kid.

Old 08-31-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Unless he has an in demand skill, there is not any reason for an employer to consider an out of state applicant. What type of work does he do?
Working remotely for some time I am used to being an out of state applicant. so I don't give much thought into on-site employment. He is in Sales.

Old 09-01-2020, 05:34 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,719,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
WHY? Why would you choose to move to anywhere without a strong job market?
Moving to a major city without a job is one thing, but moving to a small town of all places without a job isn't something I would endorse even in a good economy.

Old 09-02-2020, 10:36 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,233,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayyleej View Post
We live in a town of 2500 so jobs are rare here as it is. Looking into a town around 15,000 people. Love the area, used to visit every summer when I was a kid.
And how is the job market for your husband's skills there? Did you do ANY research on this?

You may need to move to a larger town or a city.

Old 09-02-2020, 04:54 PM

2,389 posts, read 2,344,564 times
I moved to Central PA with no job lined up and I started a job 4 days after I moved in, then got hired for another job a week later. This area is a logistics/supply chain hub of the state. Too bad the transit sucks and there aren't enough office work in this field.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:20 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,304,345 times
My experience with working in small towns like you are looking at is that there are 1 or 2 local businesses or factories that employee a lot of the locals and, if you don't work there, you drive 30-60 minutes to work for a job in a bigger town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search