Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 04:36 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times

Advertisements

Just have an old coworker pose as your supervisor. Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 03:47 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Just have an old coworker pose as your supervisor. Problem solved.
Problem started.

Old 10-27-2021, 06:18 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Problem started.
Right. Let's start things off with a lie. So much for honesty!

Old 10-29-2021, 08:33 AM

734 posts, read 842,105 times
Quote:
Good references are easy to find. Let's say you work in IT and software. There are many user groups for them. You join them, and make friends with people there. Or you go to trade shows and workshops, and meet people there. You stay in touch with them, and ask if they would be a reference for you. These are people who don't work at your current or former companies.
That sounds like a good option if you live in a big city. not everybody does, however.

Someone you happen to meet at a trade show that you've never worked with? Not sure what kind of a reference they'd willing or be able to provide.

Quote:
The key thing for references, is that you want people who know how to talk about you in a professional manner and will respond to an inquiry when requested.
Agreed.

Old 10-29-2021, 08:35 AM

522 posts, read 342,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Someone I know well enough to ask for a reference is probably someone I can tell that I'm jobhunting in stealth mode...I'd ask them not to spread anything about it. I've served as a reference for several people and always kept their requests private without being asked, as job hunts (and reasons behind them) can be touchy topics. Even more so within the same company. I would never blab about serving as someone's reference without that person's OK.
Not everybody has your integrity. Some will not hesitate to throw you under the bus if it will help advance their own career.

Old 10-29-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
That sounds like a good option if you live in a big city. not everybody does, however.

Someone you happen to meet at a trade show that you've never worked with? Not sure what kind of a reference they'd willing or be able to provide.

Agreed.
I've met people at trade shows, and built relationships with them over the years. Keep in touch through email, shared technical problems we were trying to solve, selection of vendors, talk over the phone, etc. And hung out at other tradeshows and sometimes workshops. I've used references where we never worked at the same place, but in the same industry. I don't see how you couldn't form these kinds of relationships with like minded people in your profession, unless you are simply avoiding contact with the outside world.

Old 10-29-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Right. Let's start things off with a lie. So much for honesty!
Did you read the title of the thread? FAKE JOB REFERENCE. The poster wont be starring anything off without a reference.

Last edited by Berteau; 10-29-2021 at 04:49 PM..

Old 10-29-2021, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Problem started.
I did it and it worked out great for me. No problems at all!

Old 10-29-2021, 07:41 PM

734 posts, read 842,105 times
Quote:
I've met people at trade shows, and built relationships with them over the years. Keep in touch through email, shared technical problems we were trying to solve, selection of vendors, talk over the phone, etc. And hung out at other tradeshows and sometimes workshops. I've used references where we never worked at the same place, but in the same industry. I don't see how you couldn't form these kinds of relationships with like minded people in your profession, unless you are simply avoiding contact with the outside world.
Did you read my post? Trade shows tend to occur in big cities. Not everyone lives in or near a big city.

Old 10-31-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
Did you read my post? Trade shows tend to occur in big cities. Not everyone lives in or near a big city.
You travel on vacation, you can travel to a trade show. I know a guy who drives over 4 hours to get to trade shows each year. You have to set priorities in your life, or you can add this too to your long list of excuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search