Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 11:30 AM

276 posts, read 575,942 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used a fake job reference service? If you had a good experience, can you please recommend the company?

I lost my job last year due to the pandemic, now I’m ready to go back to work. Though I have positive employee reviews from several companies that I worked for over the past 10 years, however none of my former supervisors and managers are allowed (per company policy) to provide any type of reference for employees other than to verify that an employee worked at the company for a stated period of time.

About 15 years ago, I heard about there are companies out there that provide fake job references. Yet nowadays since technology has been really improved drastically, I have read that often a lot of companies can now easily spot fake job references (via using more hi-tech tools that easily search for fake job references somehow) long before they think about hiring someone. For example, I read that nowadays, a potential employer can use software that can verify a reference phone number (i.e. does the referenced person have a LinkedIn profile that has any affiliation to the referenced last employer, does the area code match a last employer’s business address, plus an assortment of social media cross checking software/apps, etc.).

I was thinking about using some of my family or friends to provide a reference, but they would not be very good at acting for a random telephone call they “may” get, whereas a fake reference company “might” be much better with talking professionally with a potential new employer.

So right now, I’m thinking a fake job reference service might be my best bet. If you had a good experience using one of these companies, can you please recommend which company you used?

Thank you in advance your your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2021, 11:59 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user9430961 View Post

I was thinking about using some of my family or friends to provide a reference, but they would not be very good at acting for a random telephone call they “may” get, whereas a fake reference company “might” be much better with talking professionally with a potential new employer.

So right now, I’m thinking a fake job reference service might be my best bet. If you had a good experience using one of these companies, can you please recommend which company you used?

Thank you in advance your your help.
References are people that you provide which are not former employers. These are people who could be co-workers or you know through a trade associations, or even a vendor who is happy with your work. Those are references.

The rest of what you are talking about is a background check. Which checks dates of employment with the places you said you worked.

Don't go the fake route, you don't need to do this. Any employer who requires they speak with your former supervisors, then continue looking for a job elsewhere. They don't need to talk with a former supervisor, and most don't even want to do this anyway.

Old 10-21-2021, 02:05 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
References are people that you provide which are not former employers. These are people who could be co-workers or you know through a trade associations, or even a vendor who is happy with your work. Those are references.

The rest of what you are talking about is a background check. Which checks dates of employment with the places you said you worked.

Don't go the fake route, you don't need to do this. Any employer who requires they speak with your former supervisors, then continue looking for a job elsewhere. They don't need to talk with a former supervisor, and most don't even want to do this anyway.
Agree. There's really no need for someone to take a risk on some "fake" reference if they've been a credible member of any profession. They just need to broaden their search parameters instead of helplessly throw their hands in the air if some direct supervisor says they can't. If they weren't a credible member of their profession they've got bigger problems than finding a reference...which circles back to the fakes and obvious risks in using one.

Just don't buy the whole "no colleagues, no team members, no peer friendships, no friends who know anything about what I do for a living, no mentors, no managers in other related divisions" schtick. Unless you spent your working years alone on a deserted island or are a horrible person in general, someone should be able and willing to provide a reference.

I suspect some people misunderstand the role a reference realistically plays. A potential employer is primarily basing their consideration of you as a candidate on your demonstrated skills/abilities/employment history. If they're serious, they're going to look hard and close. A reference may just reinforce an inclination they've already formed. A reference shouldn't need to be a miracle worker.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-21-2021 at 03:29 PM..

Old 10-22-2021, 07:14 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,279,081 times
Quote:
Has anyone used a fake job reference service? If you had a good experience, can you please recommend the company?

I lost my job last year due to the pandemic, now I’m ready to go back to work. Though I have positive employee reviews from several companies that I worked for over the past 10 years, however none of my former supervisors and managers are allowed (per company policy) to provide any type of reference for employees other than to verify that an employee worked at the company for a stated period of time.

--snip----
What EastCoast said - what you are describing is if someone did an employment verification. e.g. if they ask for your supervisor and phone number (as well as if they can contact). In that sense, these former supervisors are representing the company. So company policy may dictate what information they can and cannot provide.

An actual reference are people that you personally know that can speak to your accomplishments/professional background, etc. They are NOT speaking on behalf of any organization. And thus, no company policy would apply. You should always have 3-5 people that will provide a personal reference for you. Depending on your level, you should have at least 2 that were your mangers or at least in a supervisory/leadership position (C-level, board member that you did something for, etc.).

I would never pay a company to do something unscrupulous. And seriously - if what you say about fake reference detection is true, don't you think the first ones being flagged are the companies that do these? If you are a business, how are you going to stay in business if no one knows about you? So if potential clients are going to know you, so are those you are trying to deceive.

Old 10-23-2021, 07:01 AM

276 posts, read 575,942 times
Hello Everyone,

I want to take this opportunity to thank all of you for taking the time to read my rather lengthy post, and for taking the time to give me some great comments and feedback.

Sometimes it helps to share a problem/issue with others, to get some good sound advice. Based on the majority of the comments, I “will not” seek the help of a fake job reference service.

I will strive to stay open and honest as I continue my job search.

Thanks a MILLION, to Everyone. I sincerely and greatly appreciate all of the help and advice you have provided to me.

Old 10-24-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

I want to take this opportunity to thank all of you for taking the time to read my rather lengthy post, and for taking the time to give me some great comments and feedback.

Sometimes it helps to share a problem/issue with others, to get some good sound advice. Based on the majority of the comments, I “will not” seek the help of a fake job reference service.

I will strive to stay open and honest as I continue my job search.

Thanks a MILLION, to Everyone. I sincerely and greatly appreciate all of the help and advice you have provided to me.
Good luck in the search OP!

Old 10-24-2021, 10:32 PM

734 posts, read 842,105 times
I could understand the OP's dilemma. While the idea proposed in the OP isn't a good idea, if one is at the same job for a long time, it is difficult to find references that are not some way connected to one's current employer. Who wants word to get to their boss that they are looking? Most potential references either still work at the company or know somebody who does. I wouldn't use a reference from 20 years ago.

Old 10-25-2021, 08:51 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
I could understand the OP's dilemma. While the idea proposed in the OP isn't a good idea, if one is at the same job for a long time, it is difficult to find references that are not some way connected to one's current employer. Who wants word to get to their boss that they are looking? Most potential references either still work at the company or know somebody who does. I wouldn't use a reference from 20 years ago.
Good references are easy to find. Let's say you work in IT and software. There are many user groups for them. You join them, and make friends with people there. Or you go to trade shows and workshops, and meet people there. You stay in touch with them, and ask if they would be a reference for you. These are people who don't work at your current or former companies.

The key thing for references, is that you want people who know how to talk about you in a professional manner and will respond to an inquiry when requested.

Old 10-25-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
Someone I know well enough to ask for a reference is probably someone I can tell that I'm jobhunting in stealth mode...I'd ask them not to spread anything about it. I've served as a reference for several people and always kept their requests private without being asked, as job hunts (and reasons behind them) can be touchy topics. Even more so within the same company. I would never blab about serving as someone's reference without that person's OK.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-25-2021 at 05:34 PM..

Old 10-26-2021, 12:30 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Good decision.

Any employer that does not value honesty in their candidates is not one you want to work for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search