Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2023, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 884 times

Advertisements

I am graduating in the spring with a B.A. in Communications and I am currently an intern for the football recruiting team (unpaid). I still have no idea what I want to do after I graduate. Since starting my current internship I am newly interested in the sports industry but I know it is heavily competitive. I know my degree is versatile but I am afraid it isn't impressive in the sense that I won't be offered a job over a marketing major. Now I have to decide if I search for a part-time job that aligns with my internship and class schedule or try to find a second internship (potentially remote) and risk not finding one/ applying for multiple and not landing any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2023, 08:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
At some point you need to decide what you want to do, and if unsure, try out one that interest you. We have had a college intern (paid) on my team this past summer, and her work was in her degree field, Real Estate. I know that there are currently several people with regular on-air jobs at our two sports radio stations that started as interns on those stations. The professional sports teams here (Seattle) also hire interns, you could start checking their websites for any opportunities. Beyond that, with your major, all of the public agencies hire people in their public information/Public Relations departments, and those are good pay, great benefit positions.

https://www.mlb.com/mariners/team/jo...es/internships

Old 10-23-2023, 08:03 AM

7,734 posts, read 3,778,838 times
If I were in your shoes, I would find an internship with an employer who will need to hire full-time employees next year. The future is uncertain, but there is a non-zero chance that when you graduate the economy will be entering a recession and employers will impose hiring freezes. Your best bet is to find someone actively hiring communications people. I would start with the list of Top 10 PR agencies.

Old 10-24-2023, 07:30 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I suggest trying to find a meaningful/beneficial internship.

Rereading your post, are you asking about having two internships at the same time?

Old 11-07-2023, 01:45 PM

979 posts, read 538,618 times
Dabble with internships until you find what you want to do. Your degree did not train you for something specific like an accounting degree or nursing degree would so it's going to be up to you to experiment a bit and find something you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search