Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Hiring advice to job seekers from business owner; follow directions in ad, listen to employer, follow basic instructions, pushy employees, pushy job seekers

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 08:40 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,864,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
on the other hand-long gone are the days when a job seeker ever hears back from someone; even when they have followed all the instructions.
It's incredibly rude for people receiving resumes to NOT take the time to respond-even if only to say.."sorry the position is already filled"
agreed. Also gives a bad reputation for the company's brand/name if they don't follow ethical HR procedures. That means you must contact all persons who sent their resume to you, even if it is a rejection letter. What these companies don't realize is that the people applying for jobs are the same people who might be the customers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 01:53 PM

359 posts, read 1,197,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
on the other hand-long gone are the days when a job seeker ever hears back from someone; even when they have followed all the instructions.
It's incredibly rude for people receiving resumes to NOT take the time to respond-even if only to say.."sorry the position is already filled"
I whole heatedly agree with you. I am going through the same situation right now since I have been laid off for going on 3 months now and looking for work. They look at the application, and staple the resume, and letter of intent, and do not even look at the resume or letter of intent. After all of that is done, they say "we will call you". I do follow up calls with the places, and they tell me the position is full. I hate the 21st century!

Old 07-10-2009, 08:06 PM

36 posts, read 78,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I think half the ads are b.s.
Some lame brain says, 'let's see how many hoop jumpers are out there in case we need someone.'

Ad--Must love widgits, live and breathe widgits. Must have 11 years experience with every operating system in creation (knowing how to chew gum while standing on your head and speaking 3 languages (Mandarin and Cherokee wind talking languages preferred), must be PC, must have no personal life whatsoever, must be willing to work early/late/holidays for reduced pay. Must enjoy dealing with management who will spend half their days 'talking bulls*it while you work very hard,' must be willing to give up lunch times and breaks (if we offer them as a perk).

Submit your resume in triplicate with your blood type, your weight, height, and your sexual orientation to us within 3 minutes of this ad being placed or you are SOL....

LOL!!!

Thanks I needed that...

Old 07-10-2009, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,500 times
Thank you very much, it is the good suggestion to all of us .

Old 07-11-2009, 08:02 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
I have to disagree. We contact those who come in for an interview, but don't contact every person who fills out an application.

My desk is closest to the door. We don't have a receptionist, it's a small office, usually there are only 2-3 of us in it at once. So by default when I'm there I hand out applications.

Here's what I dealt with yesterday (we are NOT running an ad at this time except for a blind ad for an administrative position, these people were applying for labor positions, we are NOT hiring for those positions, but we are taking applications.)

#1--Walks in stinking of booze. Asks for an application, I handed it to him with the usual spiel, "take it and fill it out and then you can bring it back." He turns to leave and starts going out the wrong door. I stop him and say "Wrong door, that one" and he says "Nah, I gotta find the pisser" and is out the door into the shop before I can stop him! One of the guys out there sent him on his way.

#2--BANGS on the door then swaggers in. "I hear y'all are hiring." I ask what type of work he's looking for and he tells me. I tell him we aren't hiring for that type of work, but we are taking applications, and hand him one with the usual spiel. He says "Or I could fill it out right here," and points at my desk. I responded with a polite but firm, "No, you need to take it with you, fill it out, and bring it back." He looks at me and says 'But if I sweet talk you You'll let me fill it out here." To which I relied, "No, I won't" then pointed to the door.

#3--Walked in and starts babbling in Spanish. Now I speak some Spanish, and if he had said "Hi, I'm Jose, can I have an application" I would have understood him. Instead he goes on without coming up for air for over a minute with me first telling him "hablar más despacio" (slow down) and then finally giving up and saying "Lo siento por mi pobre español," (I'm sorry, I don't speak Spanish very well) handing him the application, and waving him towards the door.

#4--Walked in and asked for an application. Asked if he should fill it out there or take it and bring it back. Then asks if we are hiring. Then asks if a lot of people have been in to apply. Then starts to make small talk about the weather. OK, I'm busy, I have a job to do, I don't have time for this. I politely tell him I really need to get back to work, and to have a good day. He still stands there making small talk! I finally picked up the phone and said "I'm sorry, but I need to make a phone call, bring that back once it's filled out."

#5--Walks in and says "I hear you're hiring" and I tell him we're not hiring but taking applications. He starts to badger me, "But so-and-so said you're hiring!" This goes on for a few minutes before finally my phone rings and I tell him take it, fill it our bring it back.

Do you really for one minute think that we need to send any of these guys a thank you for applying?

Old 07-11-2009, 08:11 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
I never thought a thank for applying letter or email was necessary but lots of stupid companies feel the need to do it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search