Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 10:53 AM

841 posts, read 2,474,819 times

Advertisements

2 months ago, my husband interviewed for a position with a great company. We were both super excited about the opportunity and we prayed hard and crossed our fingers that he would get the job. A month and a half passed by and we never heard back from them so we assumed that they hired someone else. Another opportunity presented itself to him and he started a new job on Monday. However, this job is not something that he has experience in and not in his choice of field - but just something to get by with. He also kept his old job - so he's working 1 full time job and a 2nd part time.

Well yesterday, he got a call back from the job he interviewed with in May and they offered him the position - and he rejected it and told them that he already found something! When he told me this...I was beyond pissed off! This job would have paid a LOT better than where he is now, great benefits, it's in his choice of field and it was just a few blocks down from where I work so we could save tons of $$ on gas by commuting together. After flipping out on him, and asking what the hell was going through his mind - he told me that he didn't want to make the guy who helped him get the job look bad since it was only his 2nd day at the new job. I told him that his family and our needs come first - I am sure if he would've sat down with this guy and explained the situation to him, he would have understood. I immediately asked my husband to call the job back and tell them he changed his mind and that he will take the job, but again...more stupidity going thru his head - he told the lady that he will take the job and keep the other one as a part time! The lady just said that she will get back to him within the next 24-48 hours.

So far, she has not called back..although it's only been 24 hours. But I have a very strong urge to call the hiring lady and try to explain to her that my husband was trying to do the right thing and not make himself look bad for the new job, but that this job that she's offering suits him better and it's a better opportunity for him and our family. My husband is very ignorant sometimes and does not know how to express himself very well which is why I feel like I should talk to her. But then again, I don't want it to reflect poorly on him. What should I do??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 12:27 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
I can understand how you feel, but DON'T call that lady about your husband's job opportunity. I don't think it would help and might make it worse because you will look like you are too controlling and will be viewed as an interruption. Too bad your husband didn't discuss it with you first before he turned down the job. Ask him to communicate important stuff like that in the future!

Old 07-13-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I can understand how you feel, but DON'T call that lady about your husband's job opportunity. I don't think it would help and might make it worse because you will look like you are too controlling and will be viewed as an interruption. Too bad your husband didn't discuss it with you first before he turned down the job. Ask him to communicate important stuff like that in the future!
You're right! I know I shouldn't call..but I have this urge to call her myself..but I won't. I guess I just needed to vent and hear from someone not to call her.

And I agree about him needing to communicate with me...he's usually pretty good about that...I am shocked that he didn't at least ask the lady to give him time to think about it. I guess it's a lesson learned on his part. I, on the other hand...will have a really hard time forgiving him for his stupidity - especially if she doesn't call back.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:11 PM

548 posts, read 1,216,873 times
You two need to sit down and decide what you want to do together (be very clear!) If you agree to take the job offer you originally hoped for, then he should call the lady back, explain the situation, and see if they still want to offer him the job. I know this is stressful, but knee jerk calls don't usually turn out very well so think this one through (both what you want to do and what you want to say to your potential employer).

Old 07-13-2011, 01:17 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
You absolutely cannot call her. They don't care about how it works better for your family, and that your husband made a mistake.

All you can do at this point is see if she calls back. Your husband needs to work on his communication skills(with you and with others).

Why would he tell her he will keep the other job part time? They don't
want to hear about that. In fact that may be the reason she hasn't called back.

I agree with you, he should have asked for a day to think about it.

His current job would just go with candidate #2, so your husband leaving his current company would have just opened up a slot for someone else.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:56 PM

You're all absolutely right! Thank goodness I didn't call...I was having a weak moment! I am still so upset about this whole situation...I wish we could just turn back time and that he would've just asked for time to think about it at least! I agree that his communication skills SUCK big time! That is our biggest argument all the time...he doesn't think before he speaks. I am still crossing my fingers and praying that he gets it..but like the above post said...I doubt they will call back since he called them and told them that stupid line about the other job! If I were the hiring manager, I would not call him back. But, all we can do now is sit and hopefully wait for that call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search