Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 06:22 PM

12 posts, read 34,013 times

Advertisements

Ok, here is my story. I had applied for a job online which was based in different state, manager of that company contacted me and told me that he was definetly interested in hiring me. He asked me when I could come in for an interview and I told him 1 week from today. We both agreed upon the interview date and time and he said, he would have hotel accomadation ready for me sometimes during this week and he would email me the info.

Week almost passed by but I did not hear anything from him so I emailed him on thursday to find out if hotel accomadations were set for the weekend coz my interview was on monday. He told me that he would have his secretary do the hotel arrangement by tomorrow(friday) and she would email you the info. Friday came and I did not get any emails regarding hotel accomodations from his secretary so I figure they are just playing around and they are not really interested.

on Monday obviously I did not show up for interview and I did not even bother to email him because I was mad. Today which is wednesday, he finally decided to email me after 2 days and apologized that his secretary booked the hotel for me but never really forwarded me the info. He still wants me to come for an interview.

Now here is what I am thinking what may have happened?

1. He probably got a better candidate but either the candidate failed the interview or salary was not sufficient for him/her so candidate declined the offer.

2. Lets say even if the secretary booked the hotel for me, how stupid can she be not to forward that info to me? Why did it take this long for manager to contact me after 3 days to apologize? I was not expecting any apology but he could have atleast contacted me the same day.

3. Do you guys think I should still go for interview for some company who isn't so organized?

Sorry for writing such a long story but I just want to know if anyone ever experienced the same sitution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 06:37 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Do you have anything to lose by going, like having to take time off from work, having to miss an appointment, etc? If not, why not go? It could just have been an honest mistake, especially if they don't typically hire from out of state, in which case you'll be glad you did. Or the place could really be a mess, but at least you'll know for sure and won't be left to wonder about whether you did the right thing.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:06 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,376 times
If this job is not within 20 miles away, I would write this up as an intereting way to meet people.

If the job is not on the top 500 companies, i would not chance flying to another city, staying in a strange hotel, etc, etc...

I would have to call the hotel and confirm that the hotel room has been paid, i.e. a confirmation number! And I mean actually paid, NOT RESERVED!!

GOOD LUCK!

Old 05-06-2009, 07:18 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Do you have anything to lose by going, like having to take time off from work, having to miss an appointment, etc? If not, why not go? It could just have been an honest mistake, especially if they don't typically hire from out of state, in which case you'll be glad you did. Or the place could really be a mess, but at least you'll know for sure and won't be left to wonder about whether you did the right thing.

There you go talking stupid again. The OP obviously don't want to go out of state for nothing especially after what just happened. Regardless if she is not working who the hell wants to travel for nothing when they can be doing something else?? Why is it so hard for you to understand that?

Old 05-06-2009, 07:23 PM

12 posts, read 34,013 times
Yes, I am currently employed so I do not have anything to lose. Interview is about 5 hours away driving and that would be on my own expense. They are only paying for hotel.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:27 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfused View Post
Yes, I am currently employed so I do not have anything to lose. Interview is about 5 hours away driving and that would be on my own expense. They are only paying for hotel.
Well, that is not that far, if driving. If the hotel is paid for. Easy to check. then go for it!!

If not paid for,

then drop it!

Old 05-06-2009, 08:14 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
There you go talking stupid again. The OP obviously don't want to go out of state for nothing especially after what just happened. Regardless if she is not working who the hell wants to travel for nothing when they can be doing something else?? Why is it so hard for you to understand that?
Mr. Pot, this is Mr. Kettle.

Just to be clear, the OP was asking 'Do you guys think I should still go for interview for some company who isn't so organized? ' so I don't actually see that it's obvious he/she doesn't want to go. Again, if there is nothing to lose, then what's the harm? Not everybody needs to interview within 10 blocks of home.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:29 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfused View Post
How much do you like your current job, is it stable and with a good company, are there changes for growth?

What is the motivation for interst in this new job? Weigh it all out.

They are obviously intersted in you or they wouldn't ahve folloed up after you skipped the interview, the question is, how interested should you be in them. You need to figure out which side of the lawn the grass is greener on.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:21 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,085 times
also are you even willing to move to the other job if its offered. Say everything is good, money is ok, are you ready to up and move to the new city and take this job? have you checked apts? what are your options, do you have kids, family, friends. What is the company like, have you really done a good background check on them? are they stable, are they going to hire you, and then within 6 months, say, nah, aint working out? The drive, 5 hours, lets guesstimate, approx 350 miles, your vehicle gets, 25 mpg, gas is $2.00 per gal. so, round trip you will use about 28 gals, thats about $60 worth of gas alone, plus other wear and tear on your car.
A day off work, if thats ok, no loss, but if you don't get paid, a day of no pay, or a day of used vacation, your call. what's it worth to you, but since you are working, its probably about $200, so,
add that in, immediate direct cost, or loss, is roughly, $260, guessing. Meals, they should pay for at least one, but maybe not, 3 meals bought on the road, more out of pocket, so this interview is going to run you, about, $300, or more. Think about it in those terms. Plus you will have to move to the new town to take this job, I assume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search