Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 02:14 PM

989 posts, read 1,878,038 times

Advertisements

George Thorogood - Get a Haircut and Get a Real Job

I was a rebel from the day I left school,
Grew my hair long and broke all the rules.
I'd sit and listen to my records all day,
With big ambitions of when I could play.
My parents taught me what life was about,
So I grew into the type they warned me about!
They said my friends my were just an unruley mob.
And I should...
Get a haircut and get a real job.

Clean your act up and don't be a slob.
Get it together like your big brother Bob.
Why don't you?

I even tried that nine to five scheme.
I told myself that it was all a bad dream.
I found a band and some good songs to play.
Now I, party all night, I sleep all day.
I met this chick she was my number one fan.
She took me home to meet her mommy and dad.
They took one look at me and said "OH MY GOD!"
Get a haircut and get a real job!

Why don't you?
Get a haircut...and get a real job.

Get a real job...
Why don't you get a real job?
Get a real job.

I hit the big time with my Rock N' Roll band.
The future's brighter now then I ever planned!
I'm ten times richer then my big brother Bob.
But...He's got a haircut and "real job!"

Why don't you?

Get a real job...
Get a real job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 02:17 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
No I put people down who are unemployed and refused to be positive and change hat they are doing to get a job.
You need to wake up. In some areas of this country, there are NO jobs. Parts of Florida, Michigan, California, and Arizona the unemployment rate is over 20%, in a few cities it's around 40%. You live in Philly where the unemployment rate is much lower. You are so provincial in your thought process that you can't see past the statue of Ben Franklin on top of city hall.

Quote:
Do you think my resume stayed the same from February to May? I had to come up with brand news ways of getting a job every day not sit around and say-"I have no job because of the economy"
What you fail to realize is that there are people out there with no job--because of the economy. End of story. Forget tweaking every word on your resume. Again you got LUCKY. You work in an industry with a high turnover, and frankly just by the law of averages you would have eventually found a job. Go tell someone laid off in Flint, MI that they need to tweak their resume and they'll get a job. They'll tweak something alright.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:22 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You need to wake up. In some areas of this country, there are NO jobs. Parts of Florida, Michigan, California, and Arizona the unemployment rate is over 20%, in a few cities it's around 40%. You live in Philly where the unemployment rate is much lower. You are so provincial in your thought process that you can't see past the statue of Ben Franklin on top of city hall.

What you fail to realize is that there are people out there with no job--because of the economy. End of story. Forget tweaking every word on your resume. Again you got LUCKY. You work in an industry with a high turnover, and frankly just by the law of averages you would have eventually found a job. Go tell someone laid off in Flint, MI that they need to tweak their resume and they'll get a job. They'll tweak something alright.

Changing something doesn't necessarily mean changing your resume. It can mean something like researching ways of getting better at job interviews.

And yes I know the unemployment is high in some areas but that doesn't mean you should give up and be negative. The goal is to do everything in your power to seperate yourself from all the other unemployed people in that particular city. That was one reason why I never attempted to step foot in a job fair

Old 07-18-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
What is wrong with grey hair? I would like to hear a sincere opinion from someone who hires professional, mature adults. Thanks...
I think it depends on your hair style, overall appearance, and unfortunately if you are male or female.

Grey hair can look GREAT on some women. Jami Lee Curtis comes right to mind. She's in her 50's but still exudes energy. Unfortunately too many women with grey hair don't wear it in an atractive, contemporary (but age appropriate) style, and end up looking like frumpy old bags.

I think men can pull of grey much better. Look at George Clooney who is pushing 50. His grey adds distinction, not age.

I'm not sure it's the "grey" that's the problem, but more often an over "letting go" of ones body and appearance once they reach a certain age.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:28 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Changing something doesn't necessarily mean changing your resume. It can mean something like researching ways of getting better at job interviews.

And yes I know the unemployment is high in some areas but that doesn't mean you should give up and be negative. The goal is to do everything in your power to seperate yourself from all the other unemployed people in that particular city. That was one reason why I never attempted to step foot in a job fair
Do stop comparing apples to oranges and patting yourself on the back - you're going to be wearing a hole in one of those new shirts before long.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:

You still haven't addressed why you tell people that working fast food is for losers, yet I'll bet some of you clients work in food service. Like I said, I'll bet your boss would love to read some of the crap you spew.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:33 PM
FBJ

Quote:
You still haven't addressed why you tell people that working fast food is for losers, yet I'll bet some of you clients work in food service. Like I said, I'll bet your boss would love to read some of the crap you spew.
I have discussions with my students and try to help them develop a goal for what type of work they are interested in doing. I try not to encourage anyone going to a fast food place.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:34 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Do stop comparing apples to oranges and patting yourself on the back - you're going to be wearing a hole in one of those new shirts before long.
I'm going to say it one more time

"No matter how tough the job search is you have to stay positive, BOTTOM LINE

Old 07-18-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I have discussions with my students and try to help them develop a goal for what type of work they are interested in doing. I try not to encourage anyone going to a fast food place.

You said that only LOSERS work in fast food places. So if one of your students worked in a fast food place, would you call them a loser? Or are you a hypocrite?

And BTW--You are not helping them with that line of thinking. Maybe you should make yourself aware of the McDonalds Hamburger University program. McDonalds is one of the few companies in this country that you can end up as a regional manager with nothing more than a GED if you are willing to work hard for it. Or maybe you just can't handle the truth--they'd be making more money than you ever will--and get their college degree for free on top of it.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:44 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,351,454 times
Quote:
We get three types of applicants:

1. The guys who are on extended benefits and obviously don't want to work, but in order to get their check they ahve to apply for "X jobs in a week. (I'd say this is half lately)

2. The guys who really want to work but just have no qualifications for teh types of hiring we do. ie no diploma, no legal right to work in the US, no experience, no certifications, etc. (About 45%)

3. The small pool of people who are skilled and certified in the industry the company is in, want to work, and have the legal right to work in the US. (About 5%)
What type of job is this for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search