Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 08:52 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,406 times

Advertisements

The company I work for still has many job openings, tons of applicants but not many with the qualifications that the hiring managers are looking for.

Example One: Opening for an administrative assistant who would support a number of executives. We tested the finalists for skills in Microsoft Office, which is the backbone of a successful career in administrative support. Few people knew any thing above the basics. Even though most resumes said excellent skills in Microsoft Office. Few knew how to do a query in Access, how to develop a chart or graph in Excel. How to insert Clip Art in Word or how to make attractive PowerPoint Presentations. Or how to research topics in Google or have a good knowledge of grammar and punctuation. It seems so simple, if you want a good job in administrative support become an expert in Microsoft Office and maybe prove it through certifications.

Example Two: We can not find an Accounting Clerk who knows both Excel and Quick Books beyond the absolute minimum.

There are few people going after these assistant type jobs that show they are really interested in a career by continuing education, certifications and voc tech type training.

Why can't people learn these things if they want to get a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 09:15 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times
I have worked in offices awhile and admin's skills are all over the place. This woman is the queen of Excel, but doesn't know Word very good. That one is awesome on Word, but has no reason to use Powerpoint. That girl over there has average Word skills, no use for Excel and light Powerpoint and great internet skills. All at these jobs have basic Outlook skills, but the last job the company didn't use Outlook for anything. I have only worked in one office that used Access for anything.

So admin assts just use what they need at each job. This job is more Word, that job is more Powerpoint, that one is almost 100% Excel - and they all are administrative assistants. It just depends on what each job requires. Consequently, the skills are uneven across Office.

But seriously, put any of these women in front of a program they don't use and tell them they have to now use it for their job, the good ones will pick up the basics in a day and over time will pick up advanced skills.

A person picks these skills up as they use them. If they never worked for anyone who uses footnotes, they aren't going to know how to put in footnotes. They will search around, read Help, ask a co-worker whose boss loves footnotes and learn how to do it at the time she needs to do it. The features you use, those skills get reinforced. The features you may have learned at one time, but never used in practice fade away.

To expect everyone to know the entire Microsoft Office Suite - front and back is not realistic. I have been to training classes where the trainers can't answer a "How To" question.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:25 AM

2,119 posts, read 3,711,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
The company I work for still has many job openings, tons of applicants but not many with the qualifications that the hiring managers are looking for.

Example One: Opening for an administrative assistant who would support a number of executives. We tested the finalists for skills in Microsoft Office, which is the backbone of a successful career in administrative support. Few people knew any thing above the basics. Even though most resumes said excellent skills in Microsoft Office. Few knew how to do a query in Access, how to develop a chart or graph in Excel. How to insert Clip Art in Word or how to make attractive PowerPoint Presentations. Or how to research topics in Google or have a good knowledge of grammar and punctuation. It seems so simple, if you want a good job in administrative support become an expert in Microsoft Office and maybe prove it through certifications.

Example Two: We can not find an Accounting Clerk who knows both Excel and Quick Books beyond the absolute minimum.

There are few people going after these assistant type jobs that show they are really interested in a career by continuing education, certifications and voc tech type training.

Why can't people learn these things if they want to get a job?
I'll tell you what, my zero knowledge in QB and Great Plains has prevented me from applying for TONS of accounting jobs. I'm thinking about taking some classes at the local community college so I can improve my background. Of course, I won't have the needed "experience", but I'd have "fresh" knowledge.

While on the job, I always volunteer to help the higher level accountants with spreadsheet projects so I can learn a few things. Not only do I learn Excel, I learn upper level accounting theories as well!

No one should overstate their computer skills, people do it anyway. Then, when tested, their results prove they weren't honest.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:29 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Glastron,

Quick Books is very easy to learn. I've got limited experience with Great Plains, I think QuickBooks is more intuitive and prefer it. I'm not even an accountant or bookeeper and I learned the basics of both at prior jobs. I'm sure you'd pick it up quickly!

Old 07-18-2009, 09:41 AM

256 posts, read 894,347 times
I would say I was very good at Excel, Powerpoint, Word, etc. when I took a computer course on them 7 years ago. Problem is I don't use these programs on a regular basis so if I was tested on them I wouldn't do very well. With the wide source of knowledge on the internet, anyone can learn what they need to know about MS Office suite while on the job. I think basic knowledge would be sufficient. Of course no one seems to want to take the time to let an applicant prove that, so they sit around with an open position for 6+ months waiting for the perfect applicant instead of hiring a reasonably intelligent person that can learn the skills.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:44 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,685 times
Let me get this straight... wanted:

someone with current knowledge of:

Microsoft Access (all aspects, including but not limited to, running ad-hoc queries)
Microsoft Excel (all aspects, including but not limited to, creating charts and graphs)
PowerPoint (visually appealing and informative presentations with no need for assistance)
Word (all aspects, including but not limited to, footnotes and tables)
research capabilities
excellent spelling and grammar

The last one is the only one that should be non-negotiable for an admin job. The rest can be learned as needed.

I'm curious what salary you are willing to pay for someone who has the software qualifications of an engineer. I hope it's a lot or you aren't going to get any candidates who meet your unrealistic demands for an administrative assistant.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
To expect everyone to know the entire Microsoft Office Suite - front and back is not realistic. I have been to training classes where the trainers can't answer a "How To" question.
I disagree. I am an expert in Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, and Publisher. I am an experienced beginner with Visio and intermediate with Project. I have intermediate to expert knowledge of Notes and Access. (blech.) I also have expert knowledge of FrontPage and it's redheaded cousin SharePoint, . (double blech) I'm intermediate in LightRoom and Illustrator, as well as Flash. I can also write html, javascript, and cgi-perl scripts, and have experience with .net, .asp, and a handful of other web technologies, although I'll be the first to admit I'm rusty. I've also got basic knowledge of Great Plains and Quickbooks, and some expereince with Act!, Big Contacts, and Goldmine.

Additionally I am an expert in Acrobat Professional, Dreamweaver, and Photoshop. At this point I'm an experienced beginner in InDesign, but I'm using that program daily now and expect to be at least a strong intermediate by the end of the summer.

I don't exaggerate my skills, and where I'm not an expert, I don't say I am.

To know the entire suite front to back isn't a big deal, and there are many of us out in the world who do. I'll admit my skillset is definitely overkill for a typical admin job, but the point is that there are a lot of people who have a moderate to expert knowledge level of the entire MS Office Suite, and it's not unrealistic to expect strong intermediate to expert knowledge of Outlook, Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Publisher, SharePoint, and Access of an applicant.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post

Microsoft Access (all aspects, including but not limited to, running ad-hoc queries)
Microsoft Excel (all aspects, including but not limited to, creating charts and graphs)
PowerPoint (visually appealing and informative presentations with no need for assistance)
research capabilities

The last one is the only one that should be non-negotiable for an admin job. The rest can be learned as needed.

I'm curious what salary you are willing to pay for someone who has the software qualifications of an engineer. I hope it's a lot or you aren't going to get any candidates who meet your unrealistic demands for an administrative assistant.
I disagree, and those are NOT engineering level software programs. Not by a long shot.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:48 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I disagree. I am an expert in Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, and Publisher. I am an experienced beginner with Visio and intermediate with Project. I have intermediate to expert knowledge of Notes and Access. (blech.) I also have expert knowledge of FrontPage and it's redheaded cousin SharePoint, . (double blech) I'm intermediate in LightRoom and Illustrator, as well as Flash. I can also write html, javascript, and cgi-perl scripts, and have experience with .net, .asp, and a handful of other web technologies, although I'll be the first to admit I'm rusty. I've also got basic knowledge of Great Plains and Quickbooks, and some expereince with Act!, Big Contacts, and Goldmine.

Additionally I am an expert in Acrobat Professional, Dreamweaver, and Photoshop. At this point I'm an experienced beginner in InDesign, but I'm using that program daily now and expect to be at least a strong intermediate by the end of the summer.

I don't exaggerate my skills, and where I'm not an expert, I don't say I am.

To know the entire suite front to back isn't a big deal, and there are many of us out in the world who do. I'll admit my skillset is definitely overkill for a typical admin job, but the point is that there are a lot of people who have a moderate to expert knowledge level of the entire MS Office Suite, and it's not unrealistic to expect strong intermediate to expert knowledge of Outlook, Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Publisher, SharePoint, and Access of an applicant.
annerk: "Hi, Weekend Traveler, I have all the qualifications you require for your administrative assistant job."

Weekend Traveler: "Go away, you're overqualified"

Old 07-18-2009, 09:49 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,931,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post

research capabilities

Agree. Everything changes so quickly that I'd much prefer to hire/work with someone who is flexible and adaptive (and can prove it) than someone who simply has technical skills. Tech skills can always be taught. Adaptability--not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search